Desperately need advice – car in for repair for a month now, can’t get any sense out of the garage

buddhalady

5 minutes ago, moontang said:

Most, including the OP, eventually face budget constraints.. And the problem with being the pride of the middle class is it will prevent you from becoming upper-class.  

Really.....????

Well I must be a Low-so as I don't have an iPhone, I walk around with a crystal set in my left hand to look cool.....????

"ProAuto at Hang Dong..."

They are a tire shop. They can do balancing and alignment, and in the back, your vehicle registration. If you look around the shop you will not see even 1/10th of the tools a full-service repair shop would have. 

There is a golden rule here: Just because someone speaks English does not mean the service will be any better than anywhere else. 

By the way, if you think that changing a filter on an AC vent is the sole business of a dedicated aircon shop, then you are mistaken. 

11 hours ago, Trujillo said:

They are a tire shop. They can do balancing and alignment, and in the back, your vehicle registration. If you look around the shop you will not see even 1/10th of the tools a full-service repair shop would have. 

There is a golden rule here: Just because someone speaks English does not mean the service will be any better than anywhere else. 

By the way, if you think that changing a filter on an AC vent is the sole business of a dedicated aircon shop, then you are mistaken. 

The owner states that the more complex repairs are handled at a nearby location, not in the tire shop.  Have you been to that location?  Checked out the tools and equipment?

Certainly speaking English does not mean better service, it would be absurd to think that.  

18 hours ago, moontang said:

Suzuki is known to be junk..

I would have to disagree. I have two Suzuki Carry. I am very happy with them. I would not hesitate to point someone towards Suzuki.

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I heard sawdust does the job. But maybe that is just an urban myth.

My dad swore by a banana to quiet down a noisy diff. or manual box :whistling:

14 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Your post is very misleading.Ive been getting our cars serviced by Ton and his 4 mechanics since the day they opened,maybe 5 years now.There are 2 hoists in the front shop, which is where the tyres are and a year ago they built another workshop through the rear door and across a small soi with 2 more hoists.

If you go into the air con waiting room a glass door leads into a storeroom where you can see shelves stacked with parts.Ive had everything from general servicing to replacement of shock absorbers etc done there in a very professional manner.The fact that Ton speaks good English is a bonus if the problem is a little complex.If he cant fix a problem he will refer you to someone that can,usually a dealer who has specific equipment for that particular model car.

50 metres south down Hang Dong Rd is Ton's father in laws operation,been there for decades, which is where they also do general repairs ,registration test including exhaust emissions.Ton's wife Ann works in the office and handles our Insurance matters.We always used them until Pro Auto opened

Pro Auto was a TV sponsor and in the archives would be many old threads of foreigners who have had work done there and still do.Most of those guys dont seem to post on TV anymore Kaptain Rob and PG Graham come to mind,they would be backing up what I have posted.

At least 10 people I know who live in our nearby village use his services for mechanical repairs.

Sometimes they cannot find the correct part for older cars that are not common anymore and they get stuck and can only tell you a face thing that it is getting fixed. Been there and sometimes they try to rig it with other parts but for transmissions it is not as easy. He may find it eventually. 

On 5/14/2019 at 12:56 PM, moontang said:

Sounds like you underestimated the costs of maintaining a reliable auto that is necessary for you to live in a car dependent home.  Suzuki is known to be junk.. automatic transmission problems are often electrical problems, which are problems with sensors. Benefits of cheap rent can often be negated by auto repairs and accidents.  Another dog rescuer?  JFC. 

Firstly, thanks to all who gave sensible, helpful comments. As regards the above post – it’s back to the old-style TVF responses. Older Suzukis are not junk – this was only the second major issue in the 13 years I’ve owned mine. One reason why I keep it. Cheap rent?????? I own my home and am not aware of a link between that comment and my original post.  

I’m proud to state that, in my lifetime, I’ve owned and loved 20 rescued dogs, mostly mature, including seven from CM shelters, three of whom are still with me.

Sadly, my sick little dog died the morning after I got the car back. Had the garage’s initial timescale been kept, he might be still alive and fighting his illnesses. I’m gutted, and comments like yours don’t help.

Well said BL I also have a Vitara for 345,000km and a dog found on the hill both much loved.
Well done you take no notice there are plenty of civil people around.
So sorry you lost your dog.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

After quite a hefty car accident I waited 5 months ! The reason being they had problems getting enough skilled people. It showed in the repairs, I had to go to the Honda workshop to get the air-con working properly.

22 hours ago, moontang said:

perhaps, if you had one dog, instead of four, you would have been able to afford the vet care needed by the deceased.  

Your inaccurate, hurtful comments and assumptions about my financial status are the reason I vastly prefer to spend my time – and money – on my beloved dog family rather than re-enter the so-called CM expat community.

Apologies to all those to whom the above doesn’t apply!

On 5/14/2019 at 7:32 PM, Trujillo said:

Yes, as already well explained the front of the shop on the main road is a rtyre shop, behind that is an extensive mechanic shop.

Nobody has suggested because the owner can speak English the service will therefore be better and I doubt anybody would say that, it's not logical.

But is does help to be able to discuss the problems in full English and explain what you want in full English, clarity, 100% clear understanding, There can be little doubt that all sorts of misunderstandings and mistakes have happened here in Thailand (all of Thailand) and in many other countries when there are severe language barriers. 

23 hours ago, moontang said:

perhaps, if you had one dog, instead of four, you would have been able to afford the vet care needed by the deceased.  

perhaps if you kept thoughts like that to yourself or the company of friends it might not seem so heartless and inconsiderate.  Who are we to decided where a mans priorities lie, its his money and it appears he spends it in a most thoughtful way.

JAF

Still waiting to find out what shop this is. 

I can tell you one thing; if things get really out of hand, vis a vis time or poor work or both, you might retain a lawyer to come and assist you by making it clear that if things are not done and chop-chop, you will file a lawsuit against the shop. You may or may not want to actually do this, but the owner of the shop certainly doesn't want to take that chance. 

I had a nightmare full auto paint job that took (are you sitting down?) seven months. Then the car was returned with the most incredible mistakes and slack job imaginable, even for Thailand. Back comes the lawyers and another two months and the car was finally done about as good as you can expect from the Thai mentality and skill level. 

Retaining an attorney to go inspect the work and make your claim cost me 2,000 baht the first time and 1,000 baht on the follow up. It did make a difference. 

PM me if you are considering body work or a paint job and I can recommend a shop to AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. 

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

perhaps if you kept thoughts like that to yourself or the company of friends it might not seem so heartless and inconsiderate.  Who are we to decided where a mans priorities lie, its his money and it appears he spends it in a most thoughtful way.

JAF

The OP stated their dogs were not being cared for properly and I made a recommendation.  Many need a wakeup call.  My condolences to her neighbors.  

On 5/17/2019 at 11:14 AM, buddhalady said:

Firstly, thanks to all who gave sensible, helpful comments. As regards the above post – it’s back to the old-style TVF responses. Older Suzukis are not junk – this was only the second major issue in the 13 years I’ve owned mine. One reason why I keep it. Cheap rent?????? I own my home and am not aware of a link between that comment and my original post.  

I’m proud to state that, in my lifetime, I’ve owned and loved 20 rescued dogs, mostly mature, including seven from CM shelters, three of whom are still with me.

Sadly, my sick little dog died the morning after I got the car back. Had the garage’s initial timescale been kept, he might be still alive and fighting his illnesses. I’m gutted, and comments like yours don’t help.

I'm so sorry you lost him.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:23 AM, Trujillo said:

Still waiting to find out what shop this is. 

I can tell you one thing; if things get really out of hand, vis a vis time or poor work or both, you might retain a lawyer to come and assist you by making it clear that if things are not done and chop-chop, you will file a lawsuit against the shop. You may or may not want to actually do this, but the owner of the shop certainly doesn't want to take that chance. 

I had a nightmare full auto paint job that took (are you sitting down?) seven months. Then the car was returned with the most incredible mistakes and slack job imaginable, even for Thailand. Back comes the lawyers and another two months and the car was finally done about as good as you can expect from the Thai mentality and skill level. 

Retaining an attorney to go inspect the work and make your claim cost me 2,000 baht the first time and 1,000 baht on the follow up. It did make a difference. 

PM me if you are considering body work or a paint job and I can recommend a shop to AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. 

I'm pondering on getting rear fender and bootlid repainted, if you'd be so kind and PM the shop to avoid, would be hugely appreciated.
As a sidenote more touching the OP; 
I'm now going 6 weeks for a drive axle shaft replacement on my Nissan Cefiro / Skyline R33 crossbreed. image.png.5054dd2b935b757d0bd1e3be5145d578.png 
The waiting time for me seems to consist mostly from the fact, that there is a lot of custom work done ( between both car's frontend's differ and parts' original numbers don't match, of course ). The mechanic I use gives me info every now and then - just today said he got *most* of the shaft assembled, but again received the wrong pump assy for power steering, so have to hold my horses again, as he is ordering stuff from BKK and abroad etc to get it done.

So lesson learned: next time I'm just going to source all the parts from the interwebs, and hand everything over to the mechanic, so there can be no confusion of the parts and where to get them.

Archived