Annual retirement renewal with expiring passport

I read the below in a thread.....

"I believe under the new rules (2019), an extension will be refused if you have less than 12 months on your passport.  This is due to the ongoing 12 month requirement of financials, be it monthly income or 'cash in the bank'."

My question....

My renewal date is 14/3/20 and my passport expires on 15/1/21

I am fine if renewal only goes to 15/1/21 instead of 14/3/21, but above note suggests it may be refused if not a full years validity left when applying for annual retirement extension in 14/3/20?

It would help if I could keep original passport and get only iro 10 months extension from 14/3/20 to 15/1/21, but is this going to work without problem?

• Like 1

Many thanks ubonjoe.

That's good to know.

I will not get a new passport and will get the retirement extension on 14/3/20 for 10 months to passport expiry of 15/1/21.

Clearly from the thread I read there is confusion with some thinking new rules now require a full 12 month validity or otherwise a refusal to extend retirement visa.

Had me concerned, so many thanks.

2 hours ago, twix38 said:

Clearly from the thread I read there is confusion with some thinking new rules now require a full 12 month validity or otherwise a refusal to extend retirement visa.

There is no confusion. I don't think anybody is thinking so. If somebody is thinking so, he must be under the influence of hallucinogens. 

Some must be confused or the excerpt in my original post would not have been written.

I am in uk now and return later this year. I don't want a new passport yet as I have to deal with Thai lawyers and court after my father's death with no Will and all copies with lawyer etc are of my current passport, so for ease and as i don't mind losing 2 months, I want to remain with current passport and not add another layer of issue. My ONLY concern was if it was true that I could not renew at all without full 12 months validity which ubonjoe has confirmed is not the case.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, enuff said said:

So the rules about having at least 6 months left on your passport are different for permission to stay?

When you  bring in your new PP do you get the balance of the year?

The 6 months passport validity (longer for some) is only for applying for certain visas at a embassy or consulate. Or for entry to the country.

If you have a passport that has a validity than the extension of stay you are applying for the extension will only issued to the date your passport expires. Then after getting a new passport you have to apply for a new extension when the shortened one ends.

Immigration stopped giving the remainder of the extension when you get a new passport in 2013.

• Like 1

I, too, have heard about the 12 months.
But to be more reassured, I will send an email to my embassy.
And my adage is: "it is better to address the good God than his saints".
My passport must be renewed in JUNE 2020.
But thank you to all the speakers.

2 minutes ago, sirocco said:

I, too, have heard about the 12 months.
But to be more reassured, I will send an email to my embassy.

There is no such requirement when applying for an extension stay at immigration.

Do plan on applying for a visa at a embassy or consulate? That would be the only reason to email an embassy.

No, Joë, I do not ask for a visa at my embassy, (I am not quite senile, but it will come) I inquire for the renewal of my passport that will take place in mid-2020.
I have a very friendly embassy
so I ask him directly the questions that bother me.

I have done this only one month ago in Phetchabun office, no problems, visa extended until the expiry date of my passport.

I have now applied for a new passport and will get the stamps copied over when it arrives

2 hours ago, sirocco said:

I inquire for the renewal of my passport that will take place in mid-2020.

You could of been a little more specific in you post.

Best to get a new passport before mid 2020. If there is a chance you will be traveling you should get a new passport at least 6 months before it expires. Many countries suggest you apply for a new passport when you you have less than 9 months remaining.

Immigration cannot extend your permission of stay beyond the expiry date of your passport.

Depending on the date of your extension and expiry date of your passport, you may have to replace your passport 12 months before it's expiry, if you want a 1 year extension.

Hey! Hey! Hey! Joe, do not get upset like that.
I did not have to be more explicit, since I was answering the plaintiff's question.
This was the validity of a passport sometime before the extension of an OA. That was his question, right?
I do not intend, either, to apply for a visa at my embassy, I just want to ask them when I have to renew my passport, knowing that it ends in mid-2020 and that my next extension OA will also be around mid-May 2020.
It suits you as an explanation or I have to add more.
Sometimes I feel like I have kids in the preparatory class.
Good afternoon, all the same.

5 minutes ago, sirocco said:
Hey! Hey! Hey! Joe, do not get upset like that.
I did not have to be more explicit, since I was answering the plaintiff's question.

I was not upset.

I simply did not understand what you meant since it was not clear to me.

A post not in English has been removed.

Forum Rule

English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translation of technical terms is permitted in specialty forums.

I have did my renewal last month. My passport expired next March and was only given an extension until then. As it was only a month I couldn't be bothered arguing about it..As said many times before immigration are a law to themselves 

Question for Ubonjoe:  One's passport expires February 1, 2020, and one obtains a one-year extension based on retirement on May 20, 2019 (the day before the current annual extension expires)...... it's pretty clear that the extension will be granted only to February 1, 2020.  Then the person gets a new passport in October of 2019 and goes out to Immigration to transfer the stamps.  What will be the expiration date of the extension stamp in the new passport?  (I guess in other words I'm asking if this situation re-sets the date for one's annual extension). 

17 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Then the person gets a new passport in October of 2019 and goes out to Immigration to transfer the stamps.  What will be the expiration date of the extension stamp in the new passport?  (I guess in other words I'm asking if this situation re-sets the date for one's annual extension). 

When you have the stamp transferred after getting a new passport you will have the same date of February 1st of 2020.

UbonJoe, you have been correct in pretty much all your responses regarding Immigration rules.  However, in this case it's possible that you may be wrong.

Hua Hin immigration are usually on the ball in these matters.  Several people now have been warned that if there is not a year validity on your passport on your next application (2020) then your extension will be refused.

Until now it's not been a problem.  The next application for an extension will require (for 'cash in the bank') that 800K was in the bank for 3 months after your previous extension, did not fall below 400K in the interim and was there for 2 months before the current application.  This year is not a problem as the rules have only just become effective.  However, by next year, the 12 month history will come into play.

Under the current rules, after a passport has expired, you are required to make a new application for an extension of stay which was not a problem.  Under the new rules, it becomes unworkable without that 12 months validity in your passport.

This has been explained quite eloquently by immigration here.  As already said, the problem will be with your next extension application.

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

Until now it's not been a problem.  The next application for an extension will require (for 'cash in the bank') that 800K was in the bank for 3 months after your previous extension, did not fall below 400K in the interim and was there for 2 months before the current application.  This year is not a problem as the rules have only just become effective.  However, by next year, the 12 month history will come into play.

The new rules have nothing to do with passport validity. Also there's nothing that states you need a history of one year to apply for a new extension. If true Hua Hin is saying you need a full year they are wrong.

In the case of money in the bank a person would most likely be beyond the 3 months of 800k baht in bank and be on the 400k baht requirement. A person with a shortened extension would just need to top the account to 800k baht 2 months before it expires and apply for a new extension.

Went to Immigration this morning with a friend renewing his retirement extension.

He was surprised and shocked when the IO stated he could only issue the extension until Feb 8th, the date of his passport validity. My mate never gave it a thought to check the validity of his passport.

Outcome, IO stated come back with new passport in Jan/Feb to transfer stamps and new extension application. 800K in bank 2 months prior to extension application.

That somewhat contradicts what Hua Hin stated, but confirms what UJ stated.

On 5/13/2019 at 1:51 AM, twix38 said:

Many thanks ubonjoe.

That's good to know.

I will not get a new passport and will get the retirement extension on 14/3/20 for 10 months to passport expiry of 15/1/21.

There is so much B. S. said about many things from these forums. Get your wife or gf to phone them up. Or go and ask them yourself. They will understand you. There is only one nasty piece of work there. 

As mentioned I am in UK currently and no significant other in Los these days.

When I was in Thailand I did ask at immigration and told I would get renewal out to passport expiry date - fine.

That was BEFORE this new related issue arose when there was no doubt or changes afoot, that some have said requires a full 12 months validity.

I'm happy with ubonjoe's answer thanks.

Edited by twix38

it is not on my part, neither a provocation, nor the intention to create a controversy.

Regarding the validity of the passport for an OA or its extension,
I just visited the portal of the Thai Embassy in my country.
Instead of embarking on a risky translation, let everyone do the same.
FYI, my embassy urged me to redo my passport.

Have a good day.