Police urge safety after Italian cyclist hit by car

snoop1130

Police urge safety after Italian cyclist hit by car

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1557738371_1-org.jpg

The Nissan Almera switched lanes and hit the bicycle outside Ban Tha Rua School in Thalang early on Sunday morning (May 12). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- Police have urged bicycle riders to take extra precautions to stay safe on Phuket’s roads after an Italian man escaped serious injury in an accident in Thalang early on Sunday morning (May 12).

Maurizio Solaroli was cycling with a group along Thepkrasattri Rd at about 6am on Sunday. The group was cycling north in the left-hand lane towards Heroines Monument when a white Nissan Almera suddenly moved left from the middle lane and hit Mr Solaroli’s bike causing him to fall just outside Ban Tha Rua School.

The driver of the car, Ploen Pookto, stopped and waited for police to arrive.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/police-urge-safety-after-italian-cyclist-hit-by-car-71412.php#XhATRgVQpBZaqwcO.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-13

“Due to our breathalyser at the police station not working, we took Mr Ploen to Thalang Hospital for his blood to be tested for alcohol. I am still awaiting the results.”

One breathalyser? And it doesn't work. And they admitted it!

Police urge bicyclists to take extra precautions to stay safe as they themselves are doing nothing to ensure road safety !

I'm amazed that the motorist hasn't either claimed brake failure or simply driven off. 

Still, its quite incredible that the motorists didn't spot a peloton !....  could be costly, some of those bicycles are worth more than the car !

21 minutes ago, madmitch said:
“Due to our breathalyser at the police station not working, we took Mr Ploen to Thalang Hospital for his blood to be tested for alcohol. I am still awaiting the results.”

Well, they went out of their way to get an analysis done anyway.

This article is missing a few key points. 

1. The driver and his passenger were both totally pissed. I could smell the alcohol from 5 meters away. 

2. The police seemed oblivious to both mine and my Thai cyclists friend that had stopped and is in the photo to do an alcohol test. 

3. We were in a 3 lane road well and truely on the left hand side of the lane. 

4. When the police realised that the car had a navy badge on the front they seemed to be very chummy and all smiles and laughs. 

5. The police asked the guys to drive to the station for the alcohol test themselves 

6. When they couldn’t get the first alcohol tester to work, they called a highway patrolman to come with a second unit. After several of them tried to make the second unit work. His first reading was 0.52 / second reading 0.49 / 3rd 0.52 and this was 2 hours after the incident. 

7. We were two mates enjoying a really safe gentle ride, this drink driver nearly took the life of my mate. To walk away from this with a smile and call to the insurance company is a total joke. 

I was so so pleased that we both walked  away with our lives intact, but so disappointed with the lack of justice. Believe or not I generally feel very safe riding in Phuket little to no aggression and drivers that are used to scooters buzzing around them. One day the police will get as serious with locals as they do with Farangs driving back from Patong. 

62BF42BD-75CE-4926-AA3F-9499C14CF500.jpeg

20B53B60-489E-43AB-A564-DD99205AA9E0.png

8 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Police have urged bicycle riders to take extra precautions to stay safe on Phuket’s roads

Amazing statement.

I wonder what would have happened if the situation was reversed, with a drunk farang in a car hitting a Thai navy officer (from Rudi's account) on a bycicle.

Glad that Mr Maurizio didn't suffer serious injuries, and wish him a quick recovery.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Police have urged bicycle riders to take extra precautions to stay safe on Phuket’s roads

police idiocy, he could have taken every precaution known to man (save not cycling) and Still been hit, lucky to be alive

Walked down Soi 24 Suk last night in the dark. It was very busy and raining. Saw 2 cyclists at different times, both with no lights at all. Whilst wishing no harm to anyone, anything they get would be deserved. Just plain plain STUPID!

2 hours ago, Rod the Sod said:

Walked down Soi 24 Suk last night in the dark. It was very busy and raining. Saw 2 cyclists at different times, both with no lights at all. Whilst wishing no harm to anyone, anything they get would be deserved. Just plain plain STUPID!

Stupid yes; deserved, nope.

...or a brown envelope.

17 hours ago, Rudi Tarmac said:

This article is missing a few key points. 

1. The driver and his passenger were both totally pissed. I could smell the alcohol from 5 meters away. 

2. The police seemed oblivious to both mine and my Thai cyclists friend that had stopped and is in the photo to do an alcohol test. 

3. We were in a 3 lane road well and truely on the left hand side of the lane. 

4. When the police realised that the car had a navy badge on the front they seemed to be very chummy and all smiles and laughs. 

5. The police asked the guys to drive to the station for the alcohol test themselves 

6. When they couldn’t get the first alcohol tester to work, they called a highway patrolman to come with a second unit. After several of them tried to make the second unit work. His first reading was 0.52 / second reading 0.49 / 3rd 0.52 and this was 2 hours after the incident. 

7. We were two mates enjoying a really safe gentle ride, this drink driver nearly took the life of my mate. To walk away from this with a smile and call to the insurance company is a total joke. 

I was so so pleased that we both walked  away with our lives intact, but so disappointed with the lack of justice. Believe or not I generally feel very safe riding in Phuket little to no aggression and drivers that are used to scooters buzzing around them. One day the police will get as serious with locals as they do with Farangs driving back from Patong. 

62BF42BD-75CE-4926-AA3F-9499C14CF500.jpeg

20B53B60-489E-43AB-A564-DD99205AA9E0.png

Thanks for posting this information.

Felt

On 5/14/2019 at 10:42 AM, Benmart said:

Your comment reserves your seat in "The Hall of Stupid Comments About Others".

I believe his comment inferred it was stupid to ride a bike due to the crazy drivers.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:42 PM, Benmart said:

Your comment reserves your seat in "The Hall of Stupid Comments About Others".

Agreed- YOUR problem that you can not stay clear of bicyclists. Then again, Thais have no clue as to the rules of the road OR to understand that some have to use bicycles. common sense- which is sorely lacking amongst a majority of  Thais. Sad...ridiculous...and selfish. So what has changed? Nothing. This thinking that Thais are above any law...are above common sense (good luck with that notion), and that Thais feel that no matter what they do is protected by a lack of Thai laws. You <deleted> up, then you pay. Do not pass go and pay a minimal fine. Nope. Now...your actions will result in jail time.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:11 AM, madmitch said:

They took him to the hospital for a blood test via the ATM of course. TIT ????

This is not just a problem in thailand.  In farangland there are plenty of jackass drivers interested in going as close as possible at high speed.  The difference is there is very little justice or consequences here.  Forget about any sort of compensation.  Impossible to get money from someone that is poor and in debt.  
The drunks in this situation won't remember a thing in a few days and probably back at it by the weekend. 
Ride as safely as you can and give these idiots the right of way so you can live to enjoy the next ride.   

Archived