Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners

By The Nation

fb512fb42a6b8f15c9fbf424d5b288ab.jpeg

File photo

HEALTH insurance has been made mandatory for foreigners aged 50 years and above seeking long-term stay in Thailand.

The insurance policy must offer up to Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to Bt400,000 for inpatient treatment. 

This is one of the measures the government has introduced to ease the financial burden placed on state hospitals by foreigners, many of whom have not paid for treatment. 

“The Cabinet has already approved the new rule,” Health Service Support Department director-general Nattawuth Prasert-siripong revealed yesterday. 

RELATED: Thaivisa Health Protect: Medical insurance for expats in Thailand 

According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year.

Overseas policies okay too

“Such health insurance is good for foreigners too,” Nattawuth said. 

Foreigners can buy valid health insurance from longstay.tgia.org or if they wish to use health insurance that they bought overseas, they must ensure that the coverage amount is no less than what is required by the rule. “We are going to discuss with relevant authorities on to how to check the validity of health insurance bought from overseas,” Nattawuth said. 

Asked about foreigners who cannot buy health insurance because their health risks are considered too high, Nattawuth said relevant authorities might consider requiring them to have higher deposits in bank accounts so as to make sure that they have enough to live in Thailand.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369323

thenation_logo.jpg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, webfact said:

“We are going to discuss with relevant authorities on to how to check the validity of health insurance bought from overseas,”

I am sure, with the proficiency of English within the Thai immigration, this should not pose any problems ! ???? ???? ????

Indeed.  So more paperwork because some people abused the system.  So one will have to show something in advance when first getting the visa and later when applying for the extension.  So many issues will arise.  If somebody was moving there and planned to get a policy while in Thailand, but doesn't have one yet.  Addresses to put on forms will not exist yet.   Oh what a mess.  And the approval or validation of existing and proper insurance?  Goodness.  The Thais and some embassies can't even agree on the income methods, types of income, verification, etc.

So how many are going to be leaving now, what exactly s a NON O -A I have a visa which just states NON O married to a  Thai (no other letters  after it) been on it for 6  years.

Perhaps someone can clarify if  it  will  apply to me?

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

Asked about foreigners who cannot buy health insurance because their health risks are considered too high, Nattawuth said relevant authorities might consider requiring them to have higher deposits in bank accounts

More vagueness.

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A),

I  wonder how many Immigration  officers  will interpret this as ALL NON O  type  visas "if"  it  doesn't  already apply to them.

Seem to be several plans up on their website already though not all companies have them. Pacific Cross have cheapest but still just over 30k a year for my 51-55 age bracket and nothing for over 75s.  Click  on each insurer for their plan and premium.

https://longstay.tgia.org/

44 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am sure, with the proficiency of English within the Thai immigration, this should not pose any problems ! ???? ???? ????

Don't worry, A translation of the insurance policy to Thai signed by a notary will probably be added to the endless list of things one has to prepare.. ????

1 minute ago, LongTang said:

Don't worry, A translation of the insurance policy to Thai  signed by a notary will probability be added to the endless list of things one has to prepare.. ????

dont  forget  the 10  copies  required  all  signed and  within 1  minute  of  applying.

25 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

I  wonder how many Immigration  officers  will interpret this as ALL NON O  type  visas "if"  it  doesn't  already apply to them.

probably each  office will have their own interpretation 

49 minutes ago, webfact said:

might consider requiring them to have higher deposits in bank accounts

Well  surely  this would mean at least another 400k and  another 40k for outpatients in the bank which would suit me  just fine.

2 minutes ago, Orac said:

Yes - the over 50 bit does imply just retirement extensions but not clear if they will include those of us on marriage extensions.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's what needs   clarifying and then wait for the Immigration officers to just say ALL  non O visas. It does specify NON O-A so you think they'd mean just that one but its  Thailand and  could mean anything

I wonder if this will be a problem if you are a retired American military with Tricare for Life coverage.   You pay 25% of the bill and no more than $3,000 a year.  After that Tricare covers the total cost.  This is better than any plan they list here.

4 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

I wonder if this will be a problem if you are a retired American military with Tricare for Life coverage.   You pay 25% of the bill and no more than $3,000 a year.  After that Tricare covers the total cost.  This is better than any plan they list here.

Using THAI  LOGIC bound to fail 100%  guaranteed.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Asked about foreigners who cannot buy health insurance because their health risks are considered too high, Nattawuth said relevant authorities might consider requiring them to have higher deposits in bank accounts so as to make sure that they have enough to live in Thailand.

The option to self-insure ought to be open to everyone, not just for those who cannot buy health insurance. And what about those who can only buy health insurance at exorbitant premiums? Will they be allowed to self-insure?

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

The option to self-insure ought to be open to everyone, not just for those who cannot buy health insurance. And what about those who can only buy health insurance at exorbitant premiums? Will they be allowed to self-insure?

Don't self-insurers have to demonstrate ample financial resources, otherwise they're really just uninsured?

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

Don't self-insurers have to demonstrate ample financial resources, otherwise they're really just uninsured?

The mandatory insurance requirement only requires a 400,000 policy limit. I am assuming self-insurance would only need to match this limit.

13 minutes ago, rodknock said:

i am 71 and a couple of quotes were 80,000 to 94,000baht.

this on top of my monthly 65,000baht for immigration

i guess i am f--ked!!

How are you more <deleted>, Immigrasjon only need proof of income or 800000 baht in the bank. you still can use those money to buy insurance. YOU DO NOT pay immigration those 65000 a month. if you do you already has been <deleted>.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

thai logic in its purest form; they cant afford it so we are going to ask them for more money; going to need more departure lanes at the airports

Archived