BANGKOK 20 July 2019 09:51
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

But are we residents, or are we visitors with an extension to stay, only good for a year? If we are residents why can't we buy into the same insurance scheme available to other Thai residents ?

You can buy private health insurance just like Thais.  And being a resident is not the same as being a citizen.  However, Thai citizens have no need to buy private health insurance because as Thai citizens they are covered for free under the Thailand national health program/30 baht program.  Now many Thais do buy extra private health insurance to supplement their 30 baht program coverage, but they are just doing that because they don't want to deal with the 30 baht program or don't like govt hospital...that's OK....it's their choice if they want to pay out of pocket for private insurance.

38 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Personal experience from a "Trip" last night... 

Tripped coming out of the BTS & banged my head (lots of blood), trip to Sukumvit hospital, no passport no questions/checks on insurance, just treated & guided to the cashier on exit (15K paid on my credit card).

Head hurts like a bitch this morning & despite me repeatedly telling them "No Stitches" I can feel where they've given me 2-3 

Probably needed stitches to securely hold the GPS transmitter in case you skipped out without payment.    But getting the transmitter removed will cost another 15K but prepaid.  😉

Seriously, hope you get well soon.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Tripped coming out of the BTS & banged my head (lots of blood), trip to Sukumvit hospital, no passport no questions/checks on insurance, just treated & guided to the cashier on exit (15K paid on my credit card).

Head hurts like a bitch this morning & despite me repeatedly telling them "No Stitches" I can feel where they've given me 2-3 

Jut to point out a few stitches usually cost around 250bht in Thailand.

You've been well overcharged.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Probably needed stitches to securely hold the GPS transmitter in case you skipped out without payment.    But getting the transmitter removed will cost another 15K but prepaid.  😉

Seriously, hope you get well soon.

Very expensive 2/3 stitches ?

On 5/18/2019 at 5:42 PM, marcusarelus said:

"Current holders of this visa will have to produce proof of their health insurance for visa renewal"

Visa renewal = Extension.

I don't understand how any current holder of a Non-Imm OA would need to renew anything, other than his Permission to Stay Stamp by doing a Visa Run. That was my thought, using the Visa in it's last month or so after July, one may be asked wrt Medical Insurance at the border/airport.

The Visa renewal=Extension is conjecture. 

On 5/18/2019 at 7:23 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes, we have not seen any press release that explicitly suggests or hints that extensions for people that started with an O visa (rather than an O-A) may be under this new requirement.

And that would be silly. An extension of the Permission to Stay for 12 months has the same terms and conditions irrespective of the original Visa. In fact the requirement simply states a Non-Imm O Visa. 

Does only these nations is acceptable for O-A visa type:

(1) Japanese (2) Australia (3) Kingdom of Denmark (4) Republic of Finland

(5) Republic of France (6) Federal Republic of Germany (7) Republic of Italy (8) Kingdom The Netherlands

(9) The Kingdom of Norway (10) The Kingdom of Sweden (11) Swiss Confederation

(12) United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (13) Canada and (14) United States of America?

On 5/18/2019 at 8:13 PM, marcusarelus said:

I think the point is the guy said renew an O-A visa.  So either you think he knows absolutely nothing or he meant extension.  Which is the more likely state of absence knowledge of Visas?

As Mr Nattawuth is from the Health Service Support Department that is quite possible on the subject of Visas, Renewals, Extensions etc. It is hardly intuitive. 

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I don't understand how any current holder of a Non-Imm OA would need to renew anything, other than his Permission to Stay Stamp by doing a Visa Run. That was my thought, using the Visa in it's last month or so after July, one may be asked wrt Medical Insurance at the border/airport.

The Visa renewal=Extension is conjecture.

Correct.  The statement  "The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay, Dr Natthawut Prasertsiripong, Chief of the MoPH Department of Health Service Support said.

Makes no sense unless renew means extension now does it?

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

I don't think anyone with experience with the issue does not know the foreigners they are talking about are illegal migrant workers from neighboring countries.   I'd think if they get past the point of juicing up insurance sales and actually enact some new laws the actual numbers may come out. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Makes no sense unless renew means extension now does it?

Well I actually said he was renewing his Permission of Stay, you made the jump to applying for an Extension to The Permission of Stay.  A holder of a current OA Visa would be making his first application, not renewing. 

But all this Lexicon complexity would be beyond this health minister. 

Edited by jacko45k

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well I actually said he was renewing his Permission of Stay, you made the jump to applying for an Extension to The Permission of Stay.  A holder of a current OA Visa would be making his first application, not renewing. 

He would ask the immigration officer for a retirement extension form would he not?  Just a note I have done this 20 times. 

Edited by marcusarelus

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

He would ask the immigration officer for a retirement extension form would he not?

In one case he would be simply arriving at the airport or border. In the other use a TM 7. APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM. Where is renewal wrt that? 

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

In one case he would be simply arriving at the airport or border. In the other use a TM 7. APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM. Where is renewal wrt that? 

No.  The quote is, " those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay,"  Says nothing about a border.  Renew means extension.  

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No.  The quote is, " those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay,"  Says nothing about a border.  Renew means extension.  

It does not say extend or extension, to renew one's 'Permit to Stay' would you not have to leave Thailand and re-enter? 

Anyhow, this is really a waste of time. Just another news report out of Phuket.