BANGKOK 17 July 2019 20:13
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

Just now, garyk said:

I left 2.5 months ago. And just got my 1 year extension renewed. This is nothing more than highway robbery. Anyone putting up with it is daft in the head IMHO. I am pushing 70 and with these rules Thailand is a joke IMHO as a retirement destination. 

Worse than Malaysia?

• Like 1

Personal experience from a "Trip" last night... 

Tripped coming out of the BTS & banged my head (lots of blood), trip to Sukumvit hospital, no passport no questions/checks on insurance, just treated & guided to the cashier on exit (15K paid on my credit card).

Head hurts like a bitch this morning & despite me repeatedly telling them "No Stitches" I can feel where they've given me 2-3 

What's worse is they claim no stitches and still charged you 15k.

You check to see if the bandage is gold plated?

6 minutes ago, garyk said:

I left 2.5 months ago. And just got my 1 year extension renewed. This is nothing more than highway robbery. Anyone putting up with it is daft in the head IMHO. I am pushing 70 and with these rules Thailand is a joke IMHO as a retirement destination. 

It doesn't apply to Extensions based on retirement.  Only to O-A and O-X visa applications.

Some seem obsessed with one Health Official being quoted as saying "renewal", and assuming this means extension.  It doesn't.  Applying for an Extension Of Stay requires a new application for something that is not a visa.  If your O-A visa has expired and you want a new one, the insurance requirements will still apply.  This is what he was referring to.  In my opinion.

23 minutes ago, garyk said:

I loved Georgetown and lived there for a while... Malaysia is easy with border runs. Frasiers Hill. I lived all over the northern mountain areas. Loved it.

I even liked Cambodia, of course I had a pickup I drove in both Malaysia and Cambodia. 

Vietnam is another ok place, personally I am sick of the Asian mind set. So I am heading to Mexico in 2 weeks. 

The whole of Asia is eaten up with screw the westerner, I put up with it in Thailand for years because of inexpensive living and fairly easy retirement rules. Now?  No way.

No comparison.  Retirement in Malaysia is for rich people far more expensive than Thailand.  Who you trying to kid?

20 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It doesn't apply to Extensions based on retirement.  Only to O-A and O-X visa applications.

Some seem obsessed with one Health Official being quoted as saying "renewal", and assuming this means extension.  It doesn't.  Applying for an Extension Of Stay requires a new application for something that is not a visa.  If your O-A visa has expired and you want a new one, the insurance requirements will still apply.  This is what he was referring to.  In my opinion.

I thought you were going to wait and see instead of pretending to be an expert and knowing what Thailand has in store for us retired guys? 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 7:18 AM, masuk said:

..and how about the uninsured, 4-week tourist who is knocked off his motorbike and in hospital for weeks??

Next,  maybe the Thai government will throw the responsibility on foreign airlines to check for proper health insurance before allowing a person to fly to Thailand.

• Like 1

Just now, watcharacters said:

Next,  maybe the Thai government will throw the responsibility on foreign airlines to check for proper health insurance before allowing a person to fly to Thailand.

There are many land borders.  What good would airline checking do?  Do you think the folks who are abusing the health care system (illegal migrant workers) are flying in?

I thought you were going to wait and see instead of pretending to be an expert and knowing what Thailand has in store for us retired guys? 

I'm just quoting the experts. Plus a little bit of common sense! Can't I have an opinion? You have certainly made yours clear!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Pib said:

You can buy private health insurance just like Thais.  And being a resident is not the same as being a citizen.  However, Thai citizens have no need to buy private health insurance because as Thai citizens they are covered for free under the Thailand national health program/30 baht program.  Now many Thais do buy extra private health insurance to supplement their 30 baht program coverage, but they are just doing that because they don't want to deal with the 30 baht program or don't like govt hospital...that's OK....it's their choice if they want to pay out of pocket for private insurance.

Private insurance is not a viable  option because it does not cover pre-existing conditions at a reasonable price, and it is not available to older residents when they need it the most.

If they were concerned about our health, and considered as "Residents" why not allow to buy into the 30 baht program? 

And I say "buy" into the system, because I understand that unlike Thai citizens we have not paid in the system.  I dont think this has anything to do with concern about as, but profits for private insurance companies, and good luck getting them to pay for anything.

If this remains, it is a game changer for me at my age, and Thailand is no longer a long term option for me.

I will simply spend a few months there and fly back home every year, spend time with friends and family, do some shopping, medical follow up tests. and get a new visa to come back, until I get tired of this and of Thailand and never see my Thai home again.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2