BANGKOK 18 July 2019 18:06
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

3 hours ago, garyk said:

I left 2.5 months ago. And just got my 1 year extension renewed. This is nothing more than highway robbery. Anyone putting up with it is daft in the head IMHO. I am pushing 70 and with these rules Thailand is a joke IMHO as a retirement destination. 

Thailand is a good, if not perfect, vacation destination.

As for long term retirement spot, I think that ship has sailed!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, madmen said:

What's worse is they claim no stitches and still charged you 15k.

You check to see if the bandage is gold plated?

Plus 3 visits from Dr at 1,000 a time

0556499A-532D-46CF-983A-A433D048C606.jpeg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Plus 3 visits from Dr at 1,000 a time

0556499A-532D-46CF-983A-A433D048C606.jpeg

I prefer my bill ........... 50bht foreigner charge, 25bht for a months medication, 2bht surgical gloves.  No charge for the doctor, nurse or BP/pulse/weight/height/temp tests (sometimes that costs another 90bht).

foreigner charge.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, garyk said:

That is not true, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about as usual. Not only was it not much more expensive than Thailand, In many of the small towns I stayed in there was a night life. Which surprised me.

Applicants and their dependants must possess a medical insurance coverage from any insurance company that is valid in Malaysia.

Applicants aged 50 and above may comply with the financial proof of RM350,000 in liquid assets and off shore income of RM10,000 per month.  For certified copy(s) of Current Account submitted as financial proof, applicants must provide the latest 3 months’ statement with each month’s credit balance of RM 350,000. For government pensioners, they can show proof of receiving pension of at least RM 10,000 per month.

Open a fixed deposit account of RM 150,000.00.

Tis you who are in error.  Not I. 

45 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm just quoting the experts. Plus a little bit of common sense! Can't I have an opinion? You have certainly made yours clear!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Have any legitimate newspapers reported this story?  

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thailand is a good, if not perfect, vacation destination.

As for long term retirement spot, I think that ship has sailed!

Yup.  Faced with the same situation 20 years ago I'd have moved to Victoria.  If you got here 20 years ago and locked in your prices in - it's OK but not for a Brit, Aussie or a New American.  Brexit will make it worse.  Only a few old yanks left with military insurance. 

Edited by marcusarelus

On 5/13/2019 at 9:02 PM, Mister Fixit said:

Try thinking harder.  Everyone puts something in the pot each week or month to fund everyone else's medical care, or their own if they need it.

Au Contraire, you try thinking harder because no matter how you butter it up it still does not equate to “free”.

Have any legitimate newspapers reported this story?  
No idea. Have they? I seem to remember it was covered in The Nation. Is that legitimate? In any case, do you believe everything you read in the newspapers?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No idea. Have they? I seem to remember it was covered in The Nation. Is that legitimate? In any case, do you believe everything you read in the newspapers?

Can't find it in any legit papers like that one in Bangkok or any others.  Seems it would be big news.  Wonder why no one else is covering it.  Hmmmm?

2 minutes ago, CLS said:

Compare Platinum 1 for Long Stay with Standard Plus premiums.
Same same - but big difference
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/longstay-visa/

https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Standard_Plan-Edit-1.pdf
Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Why the big difference in cost? 

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why the big difference in cost? 

Plus the standard policy is not available to new applicants that are over the age of sixty-five, so us over that age would have no option other than to pay the higher premiums.

Can't find it in any legit papers like that one in Bangkok or any others.  Seems it would be big news.  Wonder why no one else is covering it.  Hmmmm?
Maybe because adding a insurance requirement to OA visas, after it's already been a requirement for OX visas, is not very big news.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

The Hospital bill has 7k baht for a CT scan, for a bang on the head? Would be 5k + without that, they over treat and over prescribe, not very professional.

Edited by Orton Rd

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Applicants and their dependants must possess a medical insurance coverage from any insurance company that is valid in Malaysia.

Applicants aged 50 and above may comply with the financial proof of RM350,000 in liquid assets and off shore income of RM10,000 per month.  For certified copy(s) of Current Account submitted as financial proof, applicants must provide the latest 3 months’ statement with each month’s credit balance of RM 350,000. For government pensioners, they can show proof of receiving pension of at least RM 10,000 per month.

Open a fixed deposit account of RM 150,000.00.

Tis you who are in error.  Not I. 

Na, you can do unlimited visa runs in Malaysia. There is no restriction. 

I mean if you want to give them your money they will take it.. haha

But for long term stay very easy and extremely cheap.

I drove over from Thailand and stayed about a year, the only hassle was if you bring in a Thai GF or wife I guess. They only get a one month visa and have to stay out for 7 days when they leave. 

Not only that the food kicks Thailands ass big time. Wow, it is amazing in Georgetown. I am talking amazing delicious and cheap.

Edited by garyk
  • Haha 1