BANGKOK 20 June 2019 00:43
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Then why will they send payment to private hospitals?

TRICARE would accept a claim for reimbursement consideration if a Thai gov hospital submitted one.

TRICARE accepts retired U.S. military claims for reimbursement consideration from private hospitals that submit them. Few will directly bill TRICARE for retired military inpatient treatment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Then why will they send payment to private hospitals? Assuming you mean FMP too.

Same thing. 

Eventually, probably in July as folks go in for their extensions of permission to stay, we'll find out what the full story is.  In the meanwhile, we'll have another 100 pages or more of folks bickering about whether renewal means or doesn't mean extension.  And they say comedy is dead...

• Like 2

Any hospital wanting to bill any medical insurance company first needs to register/setup/be approved for direct billing with that insurance company.   If Thai hospital don't do that then they can not direct bill.

Posted (edited)

Question on NHS care entitlement (I am not currently retired at age of 48 but plan to wind down from full-time work in the next couple of years if possible) -

If I reside in Thailand for say 8 months of the year and return to the UK for 4 months of the year to work on contract (paying UK taxes on all income obtained during the year, I would rent out my UK property while away), am I able to retain entitlement to NHS care over the course of the year? I receive free prescriptions in the UK for epilepsy (fully controlled for a long time) and TRT so would prefer not to have to de-register from the GP to fund this stuff myself, though I will consider doing so if necessary. I also need to attend annual reviews at hospital for this treatment.  

I undertstand that doing a 6 month split shouldn't be an issue in terms of retaining my "ordinarily resident" status in the UK (though I thought I read it was only 3 months outside of EEA countries?) but I definitely prefer to be in Thailand longer than that.   

If I can't retain NHS care while in Thailand and fund my epilepsy and TRT medicine myself, is Thai government hospital cover accessible to me if I need it (self-funded)? I assume travel insurance is not practical on visits of 8 months (though I would intend to use a METV) and private cover will be prohibitive given my circumstances.

Any comments would help, thanks.

Edited by MarkyM3

Posted (edited)

Of course, will they never start to sell fake insurance policies in Bangkok's Kao San road? The TOTAL CHAOS is on its way.  

Edited by Isaanbiker

8 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Why doesn't the Thai government just come out with a medical scheme they tried in 2014, or there abouts. It was a medical scheme for long stay expats and foreign workers using government hospitals . I think the conditions of joining was having a Yellow Book and you paid a one off fee after taking a medical including a chest xray. The government scrapped it some months later. Now I can't see why they can't reintroduce this again as a condition of living here. At the time I thought it was a brilliant idea.

Health Scheme for foreigners.

It was intended for Myanmar, Cambodian, Lao workers only, but many of the hospitals allowed all foreigners to enrol due to an Administration error. When the error came to light all but those it was intended for were refused renewal.

• Like 1

Strange posts. IF your over 70 Thailand does not want you at all. You place a burden on their hospitals and funeral parlors. Its the same anywhere else in the world. IMO come here as soon as you can retire and bang everything but get over it at 70 and go back home . Its the best thing to do when your pushing the disease envelope..not everyone dies in their sleep !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

Question on NHS care entitlement (I am not currently retired at age of 48 but plan to wind down from full-time work in the next couple of years if possible) -

If I reside in Thailand for say 8 months of the year and return to the UK for 4 months of the year to work on contract (paying UK taxes on all income obtained during the year, I would rent out my UK property while away), am I able to retain entitlement to NHS care over the course of the year? I receive free prescriptions in the UK for epilepsy (fully controlled for a long time) and TRT so would prefer not to have to de-register from the GP to fund this stuff myself, though I will consider doing so if necessary. I also need to attend annual reviews at hospital for this treatment.  

I undertstand that doing a 6 month split shouldn't be an issue in terms of retaining my "ordinarily resident" status in the UK (though I thought I read it was only 3 months outside of EEA countries?) but I definitely prefer to be in Thailand longer than that.   

If I can't retain NHS care while in Thailand and fund my epilepsy and TRT medicine myself, is Thai government hospital cover accessible to me if I need it (self-funded)? I assume travel insurance is not practical on visits of 8 months (though I would intend to use a METV) and private cover will be prohibitive given my circumstances.

Any comments would help, thanks.

You could read the different guidance on the subject, and then have to read through again, and again...

.....a person must spend no more than 3 months of the year (continuously) outside the UK and must be lawfully entitled to return and remain within the UK.....GP managers apparently, if feeling nasty, could ask to de-list you if the could prove you were out of the country for more than three months (continuously)....

I have travel insurance that gives unlimited trips (starting and finishing in the UK) of no more 92 days (that kind of gels with the above), many travel insurance companies appear to make up their own definition of residence, so read the small print (can be as short as 180 days, or the trips have a cumulative total days, annual limit). HMRC Residency rules automatic UK if more than 183 days in the UK, then you would have to read the sufficient ties test, to ensure you remain resident (if your not in the UK at 23:59hrs on that day, it does not count).

...If you have been at any stage continuously resident in the UK for more than 10 years (at any time) or have more than 10 years continuous Crown Service. You should remain free of charge for, anything that arises when you are in the UK...

Payment of UK tax has no bearing on the subject apparently!

That's just some highlights I've picked out.

(The renting of your property may be better defined as, rent a room, if more than one bedroom, and you retain payment of at least one address/uk associated regular bill????)

Edited by UKresonant
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It was intended for Myanmar, Cambodian, Lao workers only,

Then why was one of the conditions of obtaining it was that you had to be having a Yellow Book? A migrant worker doesn't qualify to get a Yellow Book. The condition of having to be a migrant worker was used as a cop out clause when they realised they'd messed up big time due to the amount of farang applying IMO.

Edited by Rally123

2 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Then why was one of the conditions of obtaining it was that you had to be having a Yellow Book?

There were no such conditions under the scheme to have a Yellow book.

2 hours ago, Rally123 said:

A migrant worker doesn't qualify to get a Yellow Book.

They qualify to register as a foreigner, just as much as you or I do under the Civil Registration Act.

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration
for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and
those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a
special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet
and their children born within the Thai Kingdom.