BANGKOK 17 July 2019 09:17
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

7 hours ago, madmen said:

Strange posts. IF your over 70 Thailand does not want you at all. You place a burden on their hospitals and funeral parlors. Its the same anywhere else in the world. IMO come here as soon as you can retire and bang everything but get over it at 70 and go back home . Its the best thing to do when your pushing the disease envelope..not everyone dies in their sleep !

Does Thailand have funeral parlors?  All I've seen is Wat's with tall chimneys.  They are always happy for the business.  

• Like 1

I don't know, but if you look in the "Insurance Form" there is a "ThaiVisa Health Insurance Project" listed. Is ThaiVisa in the health insurance business? It might explain what going on here. 

I dont understand the fuss and uproar, if the class of visa calls for medical insurance and you cant afford or cannot get the insurance, just change the visa class, there is always a way, and I for one sure as hell wouldnt let it rip my family apart.

There is always a way, may not be ideal, may not be as convenient but there IS always an alternative.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

I don't know, but if you look in the "Insurance Form" there is a "ThaiVisa Health Insurance Project" listed. Is ThaiVisa in the health insurance business? It might explain what going on here. 

I think this is Hagalien Dialectic??

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

They qualify to register as a foreigner, just as much as you or I do under the Civil Registration Act.

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration
for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and
those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a
special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet
and their children born within the Thai Kingdom.

Agreed on the above but I believe it to involve a 'Pink ID Card' not a 'Yellow Book".

On 5/16/2019 at 4:51 AM, AYJAYDEE said:

If you could, they would have said you could

Wow this post has been going on for ages. And it's now going around in circles. My feeling is that you must buy a policy from an insurance company. Why ?? because even if you at present have the funds to deal with health contingencies, that money may evaporate for some reason. Then you will expect the Thais to foot the bill. Some may say TIT but they are not silly. Everyone here has to come to grips that you will have to insure yourselves "no iff's or buts" . There may be no alternative - other than going back to your previous home land - which seems very distasteful to many.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Melbun said:

Wow this post has been going on for ages. And it's now going around in circles. My feeling is that you must buy a policy from an insurance company. Why ?? because even if you at present have the funds to deal with health contingencies, that money may evaporate for some reason. Then you will expect the Thais to foot the bill. Some may say TIT but they are not silly. Everyone here has to come to grips that you will have to insure yourselves "no iff's or buts" . There may be no alternative - other than going back to your previous home land - which seems very distasteful to many.

Everybody is missing the point here.

฿305 mill baht bill not collected, not law abiding retirees responsibility for paying other peoples bills, its a measly £7 million

And its the OA brigade not retirees. 

The mandatory plaster would cost

฿56,000,000,000 a year for the 700k western Expats alone. So its not for people living here for years. The math doesn't stack up.

Also what is the 400k in the bank untouchable indefinitely for then?

4 minutes ago, Graviton said:

The mandatory plaster would cost ฿56,000,000,000 a year for the 700k western Expats alone. //

Wrong. Barely 10% of them concerned by this change. (O-A)

26 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Wrong. Barely 10% of them concerned by this change. (O-A)

So are we in agreement that it's the OA lot not us extension of stay? If not why not 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Graviton said:

So are we in agreement that it's the OA lot not us extension of stay? If not why not 

I called Pacific cross and they said 0-X visa and maybe in the future 0-A visa. But the insurance requirements for the O-A (1 Year Visa) have not yet been determined.  Why Pacific Cross or another company has not posted this in the insurance forum is beyond me. 

Edited by marcusarelus

I’m part of the OA Brigade or Lot and I have always had Health Insurance and always paid my medical/dental bills.  My time in LOS is slowly coming to an end.  

42 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I’m part of the OA Brigade or Lot and I have always had Health Insurance and always paid my medical/dental bills.  My time in LOS is slowly coming to an end.  

Why?  No confirmation of ins required for O-A visas. 

50 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Good. I've been here 17yrs my point really is it is impossible for us not to pay, presented with a bill before treatment.. I self insure with 10 mill in the bank....