BANGKOK 25 June 2019 04:55
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

I have been here 15yr ish my non O was obtained outside the Kingdom of Thailand my extensions done Immigration.

According to the latest information from Thaivisa Health Protect then you should be exempted from mandatory health insurance.
Me, on the other hand, came here on a non imm B followed by a couple of tourists visas then, my last visa, a non imm OA which gave me permission to stay which I then remained by doing extensions.
So, in effect I am here on extension ( blah blah ) originating from an OA, which if THP are correct means I now need mandatory health insurance !!

Hi Everyone,

I work for Pacific Cross/Thai Visa Protect.

Sorry I am unable to reply to every post.  That is impossible currently, the announcement took us by surprise and was overwhelming with the amount of calls and emails that came in.  To compound matters many people thought this applied to them when in fact not.  If you have got in touch please be patient and everyone will be responded to in due course.

Firstly, a point I made earlier that some may have not seen.  We have a plan that meets the visa requirement for NON O A and NON O X.  If you are on a marriage VIsa or NON O yearly extension the mandated insurance does NOT apply to you.  I can't say that the government over time will not roll this out to all visas, I suspect they may, as we all may agree its difficult to say what is around the corner legislation wise.

Let me be very clear, we more than anyone realise what a bad initiative this is in terms of coverage.  The plans available to not provide anywhere near the same value and coverage that the former products Thai Visa Protect plans or PCHI plans can provide.

May I address the difference in premiums and coverage.  The underwriters and actuaries know that because this product is only applicable to over 50's the expected claims histories and loss ratios will be much higher than the historic products available.  Therefore they have priced accordingly (FYI my understanding is that of the 6 approved vendors we are more competitive than the competition).   That is why the coverage for the premium is less value than the historic plans that can insure from 0-75yrs as a new applicant.  It's a completely different risk profile.  Though on face value I would also question why the differences in ratings. 

We would like, more than anyone, that the government allows ANY plan, ours or not, that meets or exceeds the mandated amount to be suffice to obtain the visa.  We are not comfortable selling these designated Long Stay visa plans, not only are they terrible cover, the premiums are expensive when comparing to historic plans.  At this juncture if you need the insurance to meet the requirement we have the approved plan to facilitate that.  That is not to say this is a good plan coverage or value wise!  

On a more general note, as I have seen so much misinformation being posted, we can accept new applicants up to 75yrs, over 65's are required to complete a physical exam.  Unlike moratorium plans we fully underwrite each policy, SO BEFORE you decide to accept the offer or not the coverage terms will be in black and white on the offer letter, any exclusions or wait periods will be laid out on the offer letter.  We renew up to 99yrs of age.  As long as an applicant has truthfully and correctly declared everything on the application your policy cannot be terminated.   We are one of the very few onshore companies that can consider some pre existing conditions, we may load a premium to accommodate it, apply a wait period or flat out exclude it.  Each application is looked at on a case by case basis.

We do not impose routine inflationary increases, our base rates haven't changed since 2015.  We individually experience rate each renewal.  What does this mean?

This will appear 'salesy' to some but I am again trying to be as informative as possible. Most companies typically apply 8-15% year on year, irrespective of your claims history whether large small or none.  Some companies may increase less and some certainly more.  With Thai Visa protect and Pacific Cross plans, if you have made no claims we have discounts rising to 20%, if you have moderate claims (i.e. approx  
I feel awfully sorry for people on this visa type, and concerned about people who are not able to purchase insurance whether they are over 75 or un-insurable,   Again I hope the relevant parties can come to a proper well thought out structure and outcome.

It has nothing to do with risk profiling. It rather reflects the greed of your company by taking advantage of locked-in retirees. Westerners have a higher life expectancy than Thais. Therefore the premiums should even be lower for us than for them in the same age bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I have followed the various sagas of foreigners unable to pay hospital bills here in Thailand for over a decade and been directly involved in trying to help sort out a few.

Almost all entailed bills well over 400k. Usually at least 1 million.

Out of curiosity Sheryl, what was the Immigration status of these foreigners.

Tourists, Visa holders, or those on extensions of stay.

8 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Of course. It makes perfect sense that the Thais would insist on health insurance for those coming to Thailand to live but not for those already living in Thailand

Why does it make perfect sense ? unless only new arrivals can get sick or that new arrivals are more likely not to pay their bills, otherwise i can't see why you think it makes perfect sense, other than the people already living in Thailand option applies to yourself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Exactly.

Mandatory health insurance is fine in principal but this is so badly designed that it would both impose an undue financial burden AND leave people inadequately insured.

I have followed the various sagas of foreigners unable to pay hospital bills here in Thailand for over a decade and been directly involved in trying to help sort out a few.

Almost all entailed bills well over 400k. Usually at least 1 million.

And not a single one concerned outpatient fees.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you can't pay why are they here <deleted>

3 hours ago, Graviton said:

If you can't pay why are they here <deleted>

Because I have always had enough money to pay for my own treatment and didnt need insurance.

• Like 1

Are any agents now providing fake insurance policies? 

Is there any benefit to getting a policy from a Thai insurance company vs non Thai company? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Out of curiosity Sheryl, what was the Immigration status of these foreigners.

Tourists, Visa holders, or those on extensions of stay.

mixed. All of the above.

I am 67 and currently just have hospitalization with my health insurance, paying 874 Euros a trimester with April International.  When I thought I might need to have outpatient insurance, as well, I checked with them about adding it and just got their reply.  My premium goes up to a whopping 2124 Euros a trimester.  Don't ask me why outpatient costs more than hospitalization; makes no sense to me.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

mixed. All of the above.

Interesting. but what area are you talking about.

In more remote areas like Isaan, the culprits for non payment of bills are Lao, Cambodian, Myanmar visitors/workers according to my local hospital.

Only one westerner on a TV left an unpaid bill due to passing away.

On 5/14/2019 at 9:01 AM, andygrr said:

So under 50's don't get sick of fall of motorbikes. Leave the long stayers alone who generally don't run away leaving unpaid medical bills and stop letting in tourists with no valid travel insurance they are the ones cost the hospitals. Also cap the charges set by private hospitals.

Totally agree with the Thai Government investigating the charges made by private hospitals here in Thailand.

I have used the local Military Hospital her in Hua-Hin for two monthly blood tests after suffering blood clots in both lungs whilst in the UK before returning to HH. The cost of this test is minimal and I pay about 250 B in total to have the blood tested and see the Doctor for the results which takes about 2+ hours normally.

A few years ago I had a brain hemorrhage and my doctor at the Military Hospital said it would be advisable to have the operation at a private hospital here in HH, but it could be done at either the Military or the HH General and he said that he would contact friends in the private hospitals to inquire what they would charge for the operation etc. The result was the lowest quote of 1 million for the operation and another 1 million for the aftercare. I was over 70 years old when this happened and had cancelled my private health insurance when I was 69 because of the exponential annual increases in the premiums. To cut a long story short I had my brain operation at the HH General Hospital (on the same day that I was transferred there) and spent one week recovering before returning home to convalesce and the TOTAL bill for both hospitals was 44,500 Baht. I have nothing but admiration for the Thai National Heal Service and the treatments I have received from them and hopefully can continue to receive when needed.

I would be very willing to lock up say 500,000 B in a nominated 'Health Fund Bank Account' to cover any medical costs I might incur and keep this topped up to that amount to prove that I can and will pay any medical costs that I might incur.

I would like to know how many people like myself, who have used the Thai National Health Service have walked out of the hospital WITHOUT paying for their treatment; I would suspect that it would be very few? Why not insist, that ALL people using the Thai National Health Services have to deposit their passports at the hospital until discharged after paying for their treatment - problem solved!

• Like 1