Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

First helmets and now this. Certainly puts a price on peoples heads. Or a little doctor collusion for a little bit of cash. Not that the fine Upstanding Foreigners living in Thailand an the Principled Thai Hospitals would ever sucker the insurance companies.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Life is unfair - But you chose to live in THEIR country.

We all have to update to the present times we know,  but this is another burden for the over 75s,  suppose we will all have to get on the next plane and leave the house, the wife, the family, the pets the car, the home contents.

Looked at all your posts, either you are among the 5% mega wealthy here,  or you do not live here or you are just a wind up merchant, if not then please tell us your circumstances so we all can pick at your problems.   We are on to discuss the new arrangements and exchange ideas, NOT like you mocking long stayers without engaging brain.

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Indeed, though one which is applied for external to Thailand, and with variances in requirements to the Non O Visa extensions through retirement/marriage/dependents that the majority of long term Expats have here in Thailand.

25 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

What was said was NO hospital and I corrected it.  Also, BNH and Bangkok Hospital does the same thing.  I would only go to a Thai government hospital for minor care.  Not to have my heart valve replaced.

I agree. Government hospitals are good for minor things. When I was in Bangkok Hospital last year, they wouldn't file anything with Tricare. Said, Tricare wouldn't accept it. I had to pay first and then file. Maybe you just have better luck. 

I think the 40k outpatient will end up being quiet good.

If the private hospitals know you have 40k to spend they will be setting up all sorts of things as legitimate medical procedures.

Pedicures for the ingrown toenails, massages for injury etc. They will be day spas set up as legit medical to help you spend your 40k.

3 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

A non imm o-a multi entry visa is obtained via a Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country and gotten be purchased in Thailand. You have an extension of stay based on marriage.

I know what I have I just need to know if its  included in their daft scheme or  not?

I have found nothing available for those over 70 and no mention at all of pre-existing conditions and how they might be or not be covered or affect premiums or even if those with them can even qualify.  For this requirement to work at all, the Thai government is going to have to either offer coverage to foreigners or clairify all options.

3 hours ago, Melbun said:

TRAVEL INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if you don't have it just like in the US of A they wont let you leave there until they take possession of your house (back home). Only a nitwit doesn't take out travel insurance.

Guess I’m a nitwit then 

The important question for me is whether they'll accept their own Social Security insurance scheme (self-payer under Section 39) for this purpose.

That would be a sustainable option compared to the horrendous private insurance premiums after retirement here, when no longer covered by company insurance.

12 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

As a descendant of European Aristocracy, I resent such unfounded allegation and would never expect, or want, others to pay for my medical bills. Therefore, I deposited slightly over 800,000 baht in my Thai Bank account. Also, I just made a long-distance call to my health care provider back home and was told that I am covered here in Thailand.

yeah well you get no special treatment here buddy. You will line and up pay just like the rest of the peasants

6 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Next people  will  buy coverage for the  amount specified and to reduce premiums to as  small as  possible get a massive excess smacked on it.

Be prepared for the longest ever tv  thread!

Funnily enough I was just wondering what response my insurance company, (Luma) would give if I request them to include for a maximum 40k outpatient cover, with a deductible of my paying the first 40k.

6 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Indeed, though one which is applied for external to Thailand, and with variances in requirements to the Non O Visa extensions through retirement/marriage/dependents that the majority of long term Expats have here in Thailand.

According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369323

So I need an insurance policy with cover up to 400,00 baht. I must also keep 400,000 baht in a bank account, untouched all year round. Why do I need insurance when I can cover myself?

That is not clear as it also mentions extensions of stay.

@UbonJoe  do you take this to mean extensions of stay under other non O visas? Or only O-A?
The 64000 baht question. It seems absurd to differentiate. Extensions are exactly the same process either way.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, inThailand said:

When insurance becomes mandatory the Thai insurance companies got you by the ba...

Aren't higher insurance premiums for expats in the future a given? 

More interesting is wait till you have a claim to see if you are covered no matter what the premium is

36 minutes ago, Benroon said:

So true - outpatient cover really racks up the premium and yet probably 90% of outpatient bills won’t get past the excess - so you are paying a hefty chunk for cover you can’t use!

Plus most people just pay it in cash.

Cigna offered me 400k outpatient cover - there isn’t a procedure in the world that will cost you 400k as an outpatient and send home same day. 

Stents are performed as out patient in the US depending on your total health situation. 2 stents here in Thailand can easily cost B500K.

It won't surprise me if Thai insurance companies start insisting that stents be done as out patient. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The 64000 baht question. It seems absurd to differentiate. Extensions are exactly the same process either way.

And yet they do differentiate, when I didn't want to have 400k in the bank, I just chose another type of VISA.

In the place of my 90 day report, I do a 90 day leave the country (and no TM30).

Thailand is nothing if not absurd.

2 hours ago, Melbun said:

The immigration computer will tell them when you left and when you returned. Sorry can't get away with it that easily.

I don't quite understand this comment as there are no checks at UK ports of the passports  on people leaving the UK.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

When does the rule go into effect?!?

An agent will be sitting at the desk when you do your extension of stay to sign you with a small commission to the IO, I believe 30% is the norm. So probably came in to effect yesterday.

6 minutes ago, Longcut said:

I agree. Government hospitals are good for minor things. When I was in Bangkok Hospital last year, they wouldn't file anything with Tricare. Said, Tricare wouldn't accept it. I had to pay first and then file. Maybe you just have better luck. 

Gov hospitals are better than most private hospitals. Gov hospitals have specific medical procedures that must be followed to insure proper care. No rules in private hospitals.  

Of course you need health insurance more than anything except food and water and a roof. You free spirits think oh I will just roll the dice I am special. Then when the dice goes against you and you end up in the hospital seriously sick or injured —-it is the thai people and the rest of us that pay for insurance paying your bill. I hope they require every foreigner to have health insurance. It may hurt to have to pay for it but no more free rides in a country that is not your birth country IMO. ????????????????

3 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

I have found nothing available for those over 70 and no mention at all of pre-existing conditions and how they might be or not be covered or affect premiums or even if those with them can even qualify.  For this requirement to work at all, the Thai government is going to have to either offer coverage to foreigners or clairify all options.

They already said they MIGHT work out some thing for those over 75 and for those who can not get coverage for pre existing conditions....Is MIGHT not clear enough?.....

Archived