BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Has anyone obtained health insurance within Thailand? If so, did you have to provide your medical records from your home country or was a medical examination required by the insurer prior to the policy commencing?

I got it through Mueang Thai Insurance. At 64 before 65. No medical required as I am not a smoker. Now 32k a year went up at 65.  Includes accident and death cover.

I am 70 years old, have had colon cancer, now have bladder cancer, am diabetic, type 2, but the good thing is I am married to a Thai lady who works for the government, which means they pay. will I need the new insurance?

I have always worried if all these rule changes are strictly because of me. I have been trying to get my properties sold for the past 16months so I can leave this EVIL PLACE, and yet every few months they come up with new requirements to discourage new people from moving in and old ones from continuing to stay. How the hell do you convince anyone to buy into anything long staying term here now!

3 minutes ago, rott said:

How much exactly has been left owing by long stay expats?

I have never heard of one case, but logically there will be a few. So come on how much does it come to annually and I mean long stayers not tourists?

pennies in the grand scale of things.

Wonder how much Thai bar girls have creamed the NHS in the UK over the last 10 years??

I would say it would be significant

4 minutes ago, Longcut said:

So, if they make this mandatory and everyone gets a health insurance policy. What is the point of requiring 800K baht in the bank? What excuse are they going to use to mandate that?

How long have you been here?

Excuse for what?

They can do what they want and have no requirement to explain anything...

1 hour ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

How many foreign laborers have health insurance?  Actually quite a few. They fall under the Thai national health insurance.  Why not offer that option to long stay retirees. Of course those who have the resources can pick other options. 

I would sign up for the superficial Thai national health coverage in a minute. But odds are it would be like going to a national park. Foreigners would pay so much more.

2 minutes ago, jessebkk1 said:

I have always worried if all these rule changes are strictly because of me. I have been trying to get my properties sold for the past 16months so I can leave this EVIL PLACE, and yet every few months they come up with new requirements to discourage new people from moving in and old ones from continuing to stay. How the hell do you convince anyone to buy into anything long staying term here now!

Sorry.

Smart people rent maybe that is the issue..

4 hours ago, webfact said:

This is one of the measures the government has introduced to ease the financial burden placed on state hospitals by foreigners, many of whom have not paid for treatment. 

Wow. I think I have used the public system twice since I have been here, I have not got the patience or time to sit around for 2-4 hours waiting to see a doctor. 99% of the time I use a private hospital, a little more expensive, however, quicker and more efficient.

Every time I have gone to the public hospital for my wife or family the hospitals are bursting at the seams with Thais, rarely have I ever seen any "farangs".

If this comes into force, the health insurance companies will be rubbing their hands with glee, not to mention extorting us "farangs" by jacking up prices to the max, making it beyond the reach of the average "farang" living here.

Exit all "farangs" from Thailand then we will truly see a "financial burden" in the LOS.

"Financial burden" what a load of Bull. Just another nail in the coffin from the LOS. What's next?, All "farangs" are to wear electronic ankle bracelets.🙄

If you follow the link from the longstay.tgia.org page to Viraya Insurance's website - https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-form.php#.XNoaJ44zZaQ it states that a Long Stay Visa is a 5 year visa - so perhaps this new rule is just for those with Elite visas and those of us on retirement/marriage extensions are covered by the income/money-in-the-bank requirement.

3 minutes ago, nursebob said:

I am 70 years old, have had colon cancer, now have bladder cancer, am diabetic, type 2, but the good thing is I am married to a Thai lady who works for the government, which means they pay. will I need the new insurance?

What is the coverage?

If you meet the requirements then you are fine.

45 minutes ago, malibukid said:

the American government should step up to the plate and extend Medicare coverage to it's citizens abroad.  but as usual they will just throw us under the bus.  thanks to the Republicans. 

I do think there is a validity to this idea and have proposed to US representatives arguing that we can get world-class care and a far better cost overseas. I think Medicare coverage could be extended on the same global basis as military "Tri-Care". Of course your conclusion, I think is also correct. The reply could be we can save even more money by not covering you and returning to the US for coverage from Thailand makes that idea cost prohibitive unless a very costly illness and you are able to fly (that would not have been possible when I had a heart attack in 2015.

4 minutes ago, nursebob said:

Why would you need new insurance when the Gov covers you with no limits...

Baiting post reported and removed.

50 minutes ago, malibukid said:

no and it should, huge savings for the  U.S., let's hope that one of the Democratic candidates propose this.  i think other countries offer this to their expats.  btw, the way expats is a misnomer.  i consider myself a patriot.  i am saving the American health care system lots of money.

And in addition am paying over $100 per month Medicare Premium for non-coverage unless I am in the US (yea, yea ... Guam is covered).