BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

19 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

A non immigrant OA visa is a multi entry visa that you apply for in your home country.. at the end of the first year you can leave the country before the visa expires.. re-enter and get a 2nd year.. but no re-entrys in 2nd year..  requirements:  65K per month income or combination income & cash deposit.. medical check.. police check...and now .. insurance..   Non O married visa is not mentioned in the press release.. Good question.. will Non O married require insurance too???  Does anyone know?   Also.. does anyone know insurance company that will cover 75 years+ ?? 

Have you got any doubt !?The way immigration laws been going last few years, should give you the answer.

Been here 12 years extending based on Retirement - to save the paperwork of Marriage extensions.
Age 71, mostly stay home (except the annual trip to the city for the extension.) I'd be willing to explore with the family , but on the trips taken the driving of others appalls me (sometimes that of the son-in-laws too)
Mostly I'm happy to sit in the gardens around our home, or the homes nearby of the step-children.

I never bought health insurance in the states during cycles of self employment - it is a racket, always has been and will be. (I've less problems with and have both accident and life insurance.) Self insurance up to ฿400K could represent the difference between the current fixed deposit for Retirement Extension and an extension based on marriage. 
Truthfully, the small stuff I pay easily at the local gov't hospital, bigger issues - I go Chiang Mai and again, have paid cash.
If it were really big issues, I'd prefer an ID that said Do Not Resuscitate - cutting the hospital bills off quickly, and letting the life insurance pay the balances. To me it seems a Buddhist perspective - the willingness to let go.
Maybe back in the USA I'd be using the Medicare to extend things - but I'd have missed out on 12 years of a loving family here - living in a Buddhist culture and away from the city hype. For sure  my pension helps the family and the community. It's nice to be known and greeted by name when I go to the local stores or schools. But I'm for helping the family, not some corporation and the executives getting rich via its paperwork.

How many others in the upper age brackets with family, gardens, a good community recognition... etc. would also want a way to avoid being a burden while avoiding the scam of health insurance?
My choice doesn't deny the needs of others - many will be burdened by the implementation, me included. Just adding this rant into the growing collection in this thread.

I am not giving my hard earned money to insurance company thieves. Te problems here are to do with tourists not carrying insurance and doing risky things like ferry rides or driving or being driven on the roads. Legal long term residents (whom are the targets of the bills) are not a driver of unpaid bills here......how can they be? 

I have money in the bank and self insure....if this doesn't satisfy the authorities here, I'm off to somewhere more welcoming with less bullshit. I'll start scoping out the possibilities immediately.

46 minutes ago, wisperone said:

If your aiming that negativity towards me, you should go back and read the post I was replying to and my reply.  I guess comprehension isn't your strong point.

Grammar does not appear to be Melbun's strong point either.

24 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

A non immigrant OA visa is a multi entry visa that you apply for in your home country.. at the end of the first year you can leave the country before the visa expires.. re-enter and get a 2nd year.. but no re-entrys in 2nd year..  requirements:  65K per month income or combination income & cash deposit.. medical check.. police check...and now .. insurance..   Non O married visa is not mentioned in the press release.. Good question.. will Non O married require insurance too???  Does anyone know?   Also.. does anyone know insurance company that will cover 75 years+ ?? 

Well there will be a segment of the long stay expats who by virtue of age just wont be able to get coverage at any price.

I know back in the BUPA days, they would only guarantee lifetime coverage if, you had continuous coverage for 5 years prior to your 60th birthday.

And even if they guaranteed coverage it came at a cost!

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Can't imagine it's much fun for a 71 year old to have to travel like that 4 times a year.

24 hours each way and a load of hassle on planes, trains and automobiles.

Having to file income taxes and trying to endure that long flight home each year...both give me anxiety and a sore butt!  😡

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't know any foreigners with an O-A VISA so the thread is irrelevant.

That is not clear as it also mentions extensions of stay.

@UbonJoe  do you take this to mean extensions of stay under other non O visas? Or only O-A?

34 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I thought we've gone over this already. Even Ubonjoe has said it hasn't he? The health insurance in the news article does not mention extensions - just visas and visa renewals!?

>According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. 

O-A visa has been mentioned many times in connection with insurance - it is the defacto "Retirement Visa" obtained in home country with its own set of rules and financials and is extendable by a year to give 2 years of stay by leaving across a border, after that it is either travel to home country and renew or apply for an extension of stay in country which has its own set of requirements such as funds in a Thai bank minimum of which is now 400k baht 12 months a year

I think people are reading too much into this - a 12month extension of stay in Thailand now requires a minimum 400k 12 month balance in a Thai bank

An O-A retirement visa requires no such thing - I can understand why they would want insurance attached to that    

Been here 12 years extending based on Retirement - to save the paperwork of Marriage extensions.
Age 71, mostly stay home (except the annual trip to the city for the extension.) I'd be willing to explore with the family , but on the trips taken the driving of others appalls me (sometimes that of the son-in-laws too)
Mostly I'm happy to sit in the gardens around our home, or the homes nearby of the step-children.

I never bought health insurance in the states during cycles of self employment - it is a racket, always has been and will be. (I've less problems with and have both accident and life insurance.) Self insurance up to ฿400K could represent the difference between the current fixed deposit for Retirement Extension and an extension based on marriage. 
Truthfully, the small stuff I pay easily at the local gov't hospital, bigger issues - I go Chiang Mai and again, have paid cash.
If it were really big issues, I'd prefer an ID that said Do Not Resuscitate - cutting the hospital bills off quickly, and letting the life insurance pay the balances. To me it seems a Buddhist perspective - the willingness to let go.
Maybe back in the USA I'd be using the Medicare to extend things - but I'd have missed out on 12 years of a loving family here - living in a Buddhist culture and away from the city hype. For sure  my pension helps the family and the community. It's nice to be known and greeted by name when I go to the local stores or schools. But I'm for helping the family, not some corporation and the executives getting rich via its paperwork.

How many others in the upper age brackets with family, gardens, a good community recognition... etc. would also want a way to avoid being a burden while avoiding the scam of health insurance?
My choice doesn't deny the needs of others - many will be burdened by the implementation, me included. Just adding this rant into the growing collection in this thread.
Unless you're applying for an OA visa in your home country, it won't affect you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So under 50's don't get sick of fall of motorbikes. Leave the long stayers alone who generally don't run away leaving unpaid medical bills and stop letting in tourists with no valid travel insurance they are the ones cost the hospitals. Also cap the charges set by private hospitals.

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That is not clear as it also mentions extensions of stay.

I do not see the words extension of stay mentioned anywhere in the lead article.

guess i'll be cancelling the gym membership and start drinking again!

party on.. might as well get my moneys worth now i'm not self-insuring

12 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Just look in the mirror - They don't like you and want you to leave - you are not one of them. Just become a visitor mate

Come on fellows - the writing is on the wall . They don't want you there !!! Can't y'all take a not so broad hint.

First the massive amount needed in the bank, tightened visa regulation, now mandatory insurance, next it will be a poll tax for foreign visitors, and many more to come. Geez the place isn't that good to warrant living there.

56 minutes ago, MellowYellow101 said:

Just a quick question, what are the laws / rules on the NHS not being 'free' to UK citizens after having left the UK for a set amount of time? 

I read recently that the rules have changed. If you haven't lived in the Uk for a certain number of years (I forget how many, but it isn't many) then you will have to pay for treatment. I know this applies to myself.

Do a Google search. I am too lazy right now.

Edit: I decided to look it up quickly anyway.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/moving-abroad/planning-your-healthcare/

Just now, WorriedNoodle said:

I do not see the words extension of stay mentioned anywhere in the lead article.

It says "renew visa". Since a visa cannot be renewed one assumes what is meant is extension of stay. 

Though technically incorrect, it is not unusual for people to refer to extensions of stay as visa extension or visa renewal.