BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

2 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

This is good for insurance companies, but for people over 65, it's not.  The funds needed 400-800 K is for that purpose.  Why double up.  NOW... it's important to note, equity has to play a role. There are schools and businesses that provide work permits, with no health insurance benefits. This is a fact. How many foreign laborers have health insurance?  Actually quite a few. They fall under the Thai national health insurance.  Why not offer that option to long stay retirees. Of course those who have the resources can pick other options. 

Too much logic. This is Thailand.

Just now, GeorgeCross said:

guess i'll be cancelling the gym membership and start drinking again!

party on.. might as well get my moneys worth

Nice one. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Ask your fellow expat low lifes who have not been paying their hospital bills...

And how many is that? I say it is primarily based on tourists who come and get hurt and then  can't pay. How many articles in the last few months have had a Jane or Ricky got hurt but can't pay their bills on holiday? How many expats have you heard of skipping out? Ofcourse there has to be some, but in all honesty it looks as if they are targeting over 50 retirees as a stick-it-to-ya clearing of the brush again. I myself am included in the over 50 as of now, but not retiree visa. If affordable and reasonable then ok I am fine, but it looks like an over 50 witch hunt of stick-it-to-ya as all foreigners are undesirable. Going to the USA now one requires you to have insurance. Why does Thailand think they are so special? If it does get too ridiculous I might move to Vietnam and then just visit my family here.

I read recently that the rules have changed. If you haven't lived in the Uk for a certain number of years (I forget how many, but it isn't many) then you will have to pay for treatment. I know this applies to myself.
Do a Google search. I am too lazy right now.
You will get free NHS treatment if you can show that you have returned to the UK to live there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can anyone who has been following all the news blurbs about unpaid insurance bills or all the go fund me pages or the new Visa requirements

really say they didn't see this coming like a freight train?

Many have mentioned it was coming many times

My guesstimates on whats next?

To those who wonder how long it will take to become law...Seems it is law now.

As for sussing out the exact definition? Thai Immigration will not care

Did not having all the increased funds details stop Immigration from turning away many going for visa extensions recently? NO

Meaning Thai officials never let something silly like understanding or

details get in the way of them rubber stamping all but the Visa Agent backhanders with a big NO can / Mai Dai

So insurance freight train has now pulled into station parked alongside increased bank fund visa ext requirements

Insurance Load is light at this time....It will surely be aimed at anyone over 50 on a retirement extension or based on marriage extension

400k in coverage & 40k out

But next year sure as Sh1t you know they will say they are overwhelmed with cases where the hospital bills far exceeded the coverage

So expect next year to double or more

Sadly this will not likely be because expats used the coverage so much as the Thai doctors now knowing all expats are covered will

be recommending many "procedures"

Good Luck to all

19 minutes ago, 1DegreeN said:

If you follow the link from the longstay.tgia.org page to Viraya Insurance's website - https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-form.php#.XNoaJ44zZaQ it states that a Long Stay Visa is a 5 year visa - so perhaps this new rule is just for those with Elite visas and those of us on retirement/marriage extensions are covered by the income/money-in-the-bank requirement.

correct and soon to be a requirement for O-A visa obtained in home country

Extensions of stay already have their own financial requirements updated recently to include a minimum 12 month Thai bank balance of 400k baht 

People are reading too much into this and getting their wires crossed about what is being referred to in this topic

48 minutes ago, travelerjim said:

Read again. .it is for those on LONG STAY....O-A and Extensions of Stay for retirement are included.

I must read it again then I was unaware of Extensions of Stay for retirement being mentioned.

I did see something about visas being renewed but I do not know which visas are renewed, thought you had to apply for a new one.

Something to take into account: the opd coverage is 2,000 bahts per time per day 20 to 40 times per year. It is usually not enough to cover a doctor's visit with some exams. And who goes 20 times per year to a doctor?

Also from my own experience, some insurances are not reliable.I used to get a health insurance from a famous bank and had to stay 3 nights in hospital,with their ok. Just before release, a hospital staff came to inform me that the company requested me to pay first, and "they would see later what they would pay ".

Very,very awkward situation where you are just taken hostage.

I had to pay but needless to say I didn't renew my policy.

There is no way you can sue an insurance company.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You will get free NHS treatment if you can show that you have returned to the UK to live there.

And I was told that would be after you had returned to the UK for more than six months.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Correct

1 hour ago, Melbun said:

Well stay at home (wherever that was) and don't travel. You make the choice.

I, like many expats I meet here from western countries, have moved to Thailand and other countries because we cannot afford to live or live a comfortable middle-class retirement in our own countries. That is the real result of 30-40 years of the economic squeeze on the working middle-class.

The page https://longstay.tgia.org links to some companies already doing insurance for the O-X  visa's. A couple of them do coverage and new policies up to 100 years old. 

They think they can do without foreigners. Very low IQ   the country is  in a total mess
 This is a bit over the top. Look to the Thai themselves. Do they have insurance? And with this high coverage? Or is it dual pricing?

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, but then you don't live in Thailand.

I must admit I always had in the back of my mind that if I became seriously ill I could return to the UK or Denmark (where I lived for 20 years) for treatment and then come back to Thailand. Brexit messed up my Denmark plans. 

I don't have a home in UK, but I have have a brother I could stay with.

I also have children in Denmark, but I guess it won't be so easy to go there and get free treatment anymore.

4 hours ago, Orac said:

Yes - the over 50 bit does imply just retirement extensions but not clear if they will include those of us on marriage extensions.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The wording seems very clear to me. "The non imm O-A"....

Of course they could have stated it wrong, or they could change their minds, or maybe that was not what they meant, or....

Based on the wording, I am betting at this point it wont apply to Non-imm O.