BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

And now watch insurance premiums skyrocket! 

Saw the same thing happen in America. Insurance industry is going to clean up.

Milk them stupid old farangs is now Thailand Policy numero uno.. 

Can anyone confirm the actual date when this mandatory health in surname policy kicks in?  My annual retirement visa extension date is June 2019

Most over 70s can't get health insurance so does this mean a one way ticket back to home country to sleep in a tent? Let's hope things become more clearer in the next few days. Surely if you can show over 400,000 baht in addition to your other funds required to stay in Thailand and you can't get insurance this will be OK? 

Just now, peter14 said:

They think they can do without foreigners. Very low IQ   the country is  in a total mess
 This is a bit over the top. Look to the Thai themselves. Do they have insurance? And with this high coverage? Or is it dual pricing?

Thai have free or subsidised medical, why would they need insurance.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

No you don't get my point. 

The amounts are low.

The outpatient requirement is BIZARRE. clearly for the insurance companies.

So you get a policy that excludes all preexisting conditions, most older people have multiple ones, you pay your money, and then you're not really covered.

DUH. 

Exactly,   Mega premiums,  Pre=existing conditions a get out of cover,  SO PAY FOR WHAT  ????  Over age...you are on a mega loser,    As previous stated --what is the 800,000  for  ?????

1 minute ago, sumrit said:

And I was told that would be after you had returned to the UK for more than six months.

Not correct.  You would receive immediate NHS treatment if you returned to live in the UK.

3 hours ago, rodknock said:

i am 71 and a couple of quotes were 80,000 to 94,000baht.

this on top of my monthly 65,000baht for immigration

You mix up 2 different amounts, one is yearly, the other monthly.

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

the American government should step up to the plate and extend Medicare coverage to it's citizens abroad.  but as usual they will just throw us under the bus.  thanks to the Republicans. 

Never happen

You think the USA will extend coverage to a Junta ruled country?

You think they would trust the Thai billing?

I think it would not happen in our lifetime

This has obviously been in the planning for some time as insurance companies have had the time to develop products specifically with the limits as outlined. Even the website linked in the OP works well and has actually been proofread (not that accurately though!). So those blaming the new Immigration chief are well off the mark.

I've looked at the policies and the majority are well overpriced for the coverage and you can get better limits for the same price. Pacific Cross is the cheapest and I use them already and have had no problems in having claims paid. How the generic Thai insurers have calculated their premiums I don't know. These companies are not big players in the expat health insurance business and it seems they have loaded their premiums heavily. Aetna and AXA don't have their products on view just yet.

As for the limits: is it a coincidence that the 400,000 limit equates to the amount retirees now have to keep in the bank? We can't use that amount for a medical emergency any more so have they suggested coverage based on this unspendable sum?I am awaiting the announcement that the insurance requirement will be waived on the basis that an extra 400k is kept in the bank, basically meaning the 800,000 baht requirement cannot now ever be touched....unless you buy health insurance.

My comments on the limits are that they are too low. Most people here should be able to come up with 400,000 baht in an emergency but it is surely the high amounts that would be the problem. I wouldn't give a policty with such low limits the time of day!

And as for the outpatient requirement, this is pathetic. 40k is nothing, yet this would be a major contributing element of the premium, especially with such low limits. And look at some of the policies on offer: Viryah have a daily limit of 1400 baht, Thaivivat 2000 baht and Navakij 3000 baht. This is loose change. I have OPD cover but I tend not to bother with small items, preferring to protect my 10% no-claims-discount. How many incidents are there of farangs "doing a runner" from the local hospital without paying for a pee test? And how many will, like me, buy nsurance but just pay the OPD bill as they can't be bothered hanging around to wait for insurers' approval?

I'm not totally against the concept but in this particular guise it seems to be a money spinner for a select few insurance companies.

I wonder what they will do if you have insurance in your own country but it does not apply internationally. 

I suppose they would make you get insurance. 

2 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I, like many expats I meet here from western countries, have moved to Thailand and other countries because we cannot afford to live or live a comfortable middle-class retirement in our own countries. That is the real result of 30-40 years of the economic squeeze on the working middle-class. 

Squeeze, as in a 4 trillion US$ per year health care industry for the US alone.

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It says "renew visa". Since a visa cannot be renewed one assumes what is meant is extension of stay. 

Though technically incorrect, it is not unusual for people to refer to extensions of stay as visa extension or visa renewal.

That's the problem on Thai Visa.............too many posters make assumptions😁

12 minutes ago, andygrr said:

So under 50's don't get sick of fall of motorbikes. Leave the long stayers alone who generally don't run away leaving unpaid medical bills and stop letting in tourists with no valid travel insurance they are the ones cost the hospitals. Also cap the charges set by private hospitals.

Their thinking may be the under 50's are on work permits with employer provided health care

But if not I would not expect them to be ignored for long...meaning ED visa etc

11 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I do not see the words extension of stay mentioned anywhere in the lead article.

correct - an O-A Retirement Visa can be "extended" by a year by crossing a border

an extension of stay is completely different and has its own set of financial rules in country - people need to calm down and stop reading stuff that isn't there and is unrelated to this announcement 

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

NO

Those that think it does are flat wrong....

Correct. Closest US territory would be Guam when I checked.