Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

4 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

No, it's self-inflicted,  so is a court marshal offence.  :giggle:

maybe, so is sunburn and fainting on parade because of no brekkie.

Its court martial too,  most ex mil could tell you that.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Indeed.  So more paperwork because some people abused the system.  So one will have to show something in advance when first getting the visa and later when applying for the extension.  So many issues will arise.  If somebody was moving there and planned to get a policy while in Thailand, but doesn't have one yet.  Addresses to put on forms will not exist yet.   Oh what a mess.  And the approval or validation of existing and proper insurance?  Goodness.  The Thais and some embassies can't even agree on the income methods, types of income, verification, etc.

So true, I'm trying to work out the part where the thai officials say it's also to stop the 

7 hours ago, quandow said:

I did two inquiries at the website provided. Typical Thai inefficiency. Can't get a straight answer or quote, not even a ballpark price.

I'm still trying to work out the part where the Thai officials say it's to help out with the financial burden side for foreigners and some that don't pay, I have always paid for treatment and now usually with a deposit up front for a large payment that would be due, and with Thai as a guarantor, like to see someone skip paying and see how far they get.

26 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

No, it isn't. You buy it at the airport. By far the biggest burden on the Thai health care system is tourists with no medical insurance. 

Again utter utter tripe. Where are the figures to back up your nonsensical statement???

4 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

They can’t even get the 90 Day Reporting to work efficiently online, that involves maybe a handful of Expats, what chance is there of setting up a system to deal with millions of tourists ?

Nothing to do with that. One payment. One standard policy document. One set of T&C's on what is covered. Easy. Pay online beforehand or get in the queue on arrival. Lots of countries a lot less efficient than Thailand do this.

23 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Here is the "Plan 2" details. Plan 2 is the one with the reduced Outpatient limit. The Inpatient coverage is limited to 930,000/year (actually it says per confinement). Annual premium for this one is 21,000.

It seems I was on "Plan 4" before. That one included up to 30 "visits" per year at a maximum of 1,500 baht/visit.
30*1,500 = 45,000/year for Outpatient services and the same Inpatient limits as "Plan 2". That one is 27,000/year (I thought it was 29,000 but that could be me not paying attention at the time.)

Here is the link to the Bangkok Bank page with the different plans and premiums (and age brackets): https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/My-Family-and-Me/Bancassurance/Life-Insurance/Health-1st

793954749_Health1stCoveragedetails.thumb.jpg.28999e6b974478289e0d2a1cfce67b38.jpg

Thanks Kerryd. Looks interesting and affordable, IF it really covers 400'000 Baht IP and 40'000 Baht OP. I always thought that BBL Insurance is the most expensive. Apparently not.

1 hour ago, ginjag said:

We all have to update to the present times we know,  but this is another burden for the over 75s,  suppose we will all have to get on the next plane and leave the house, the wife, the family, the pets the car, the home contents.

Looked at all your posts, either you are among the 5% mega wealthy here,  or you do not live here or you are just a wind up merchant, if not then please tell us your circumstances so we all can pick at your problems.   We are on to discuss the new arrangements and exchange ideas, NOT like you mocking long stayers without engaging brain.

No good hassling me mate - I'm not the one making the rules. You should have  taken into account your long term circumstances, and have an exit strategy in place should  you no longer become welcome there. You obviously have invested yourself in this mess. I can only offer advice and limited sympathy which obviously will do little in your situation. This is an open forum for people fielding their ideas.

4 hours ago, Melbun said:

Go back home - come back as a visitor 4 X a year.

4 return flights cattle class at around 600 quid each = 98,400

Accommodation in the UK = ??????

Great idea

Den

6 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

So an I.O. could read and understand the Terms and Conditions of an Insurance Policy no matter what language and at the same inspect it too see if it was genuine ?.

See post #529.

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Has anyone obtained health insurance within Thailand? If so, did you have to provide your medical records from your home country or was a medical examination re

I inquired and was told under a certain age no medical over

age medical required. That they could insure probably without

heart coverage will send quote in a couple days. Next day uninsurable. 

you better check

1 What age do they kick you into touch eg 75 most policies finish at 75

2 At what age is the latest one can join most are 65 after that they do not want you

Get a quote today say for the age of 75  then fall over when one see the amount they want even with a excess added to it. So what does the Thai government then now recommend, do they think we all die at age 75?

3 minutes ago, denby45 said:

4 return flights cattle class at around 600 quid each = 98,400

Accommodation in the UK = ??????

Great idea

Den

Just an idea. You haven't invested any time in having an exit strategy in place. Start thinking mate.

Just now, Melbun said:

Just an idea. You haven't invested any time in having an exit strategy in place. Start thinking mate.

Well your ideas could do with a bit of thinking through as well.

3 hours ago, Farang99 said:

No company will issue insurance for anyone over 75. Does this mean we are all going to have to leave?

No, it means you're going to have to plan ahead and have a few million baht in the bank for when the time comes......fact of life if you want to live just about anywhere.  

3 minutes ago, whiteman said:

Get a quote today say for the age of 75  then fall over when one see the amount they want even with a excess added to it. So what does the Thai government then now recommend, do they think we all die at age 75? 

You need a policy that goes into effect before you see the price.

7 hours ago, gunderhill said:

So how many are going to be leaving now, what exactly s a NON O -A I have a visa which just states NON O married to a  Thai (no other letters  after it) been on it for 6  years.

Perhaps someone can clarify if  it  will  apply to me?

they have never wanted us in the first place, 90% of Thai's love us, but the yellow shirts guys, immigration, police, military, courts, Royals want to go

back to old SIAM time to look over your shoulder guys

3 hours ago, MellowYellow101 said:

wow, it really seems like they are trying to push the old Westerners out of here. First it was an increase in the amount of money in the bank, money you cannot touch essentially, and now mandatory health insurance with a set amount in terms of coverage. There is also the identity scanners they hope to put in immigration, as well as those tracking bracelets they dreamt about lol - looking forward to seeing what happens next month

more money to the "agents"

4 hours ago, Melbun said:

Chuckle - so you want to have a policy that carte blanche accepts all the illness accumulated over a lifetime ?? That is really funny. Hmmm bet you still believe in the fairy god mother.

No, we all have an ฿800,000 policy in the bank that accepts all the illness accumulated over a lifetime.

Second thought , if Thai gov. like to have no medical bills burden from tourists or expats , they should need them insured FULL, no exclusions ….or there are the bills coming again for them in some cases , so this idea is not 100% thought thru 

1 minute ago, mick01827 said:

At least it might stop all the scroungers going round with their cap in hand begging for money to pay their hospital bills!

I think you will find that most of those "scroungers" are young short term tourists without insurance that have motorbike accidents. At least those are the ones that become visible through gofundme.

14 minutes ago, eddysmit said:

So true, I'm trying to work out the part where the thai officials say it's also to stop the 

I'm still trying to work out the part where the Thai officials say it's to help out with the financial burden side for foreigners and some that don't pay, I have always paid for treatment and now usually with a deposit up front for a large payment that would be due, and with Thai as a guarantor, like to see someone skip paying and see how far they get.

ITS NOT POSSIBLE FOR FARANGS to skip out of paying major medical bills in Thailand because they will not do any thing major here unless money is payed up front.......

The farang deadbeat bill payers is a COMPLETE LIE...

But insurance companys love to repeat the lie over and over in hopes of a huge scamming mandatory insurance pay day.....Oink Oink said the pigs at the trough..... 

12 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

I have visited / lived in Thailand on business for more than 20 years

I spent 10 years working full time in this country for a Thai company paying a tax rate of around 35%.  At the end of the contract I left as is the Thai law, returning one week later to live the rest of my life here.

No free hospital neither local in / outpatients or private in / outpatients.  I paid all my bills.

Having had Parkinson's for many years and many TIA's and a number of strokes due to work stress, I paid my hospital bills here.   ( My current health status is very good but have already been tared by the brush when it comes to trying to get insurance ).

If I compare the hospital treatment I received here with that of the UK, Thailand wins.

It took over an hour to get an ambulance when I had a bad TIA in the UK compared with 10 minutes here, local hospitals closed in UK.

How easy is it to get to see a GP in the UK, from my experience very difficult, then if you are lucky you get 5 minutes with the GP who often desn't listen to you about things like drug allergies.

Dentist, same story regarding getting an appointment.

I started work in 1961 when I was 15 and spent most of the time since 1968 working in other countries, eventually not through choice but, I was deemed 'too' experienced to be given a job in the UK.

Classed as 'non- resident' in the UK I will have to pay medical bills there.

With my previous health problems I would be unable to get medical insurance in the UK, or for anywhere else.

I tried twice in the UK to get rented accommodation ( 2011 and 2014 ) but have no credit rating, despite having the same bank accounts for 40 years, so its 6 months rent or more upfront.

The money I spend here in one month would not even cover one months electric / gas bill in the UK.

To try and regain my UK residence status will mean at least 3 months of rented / hotel accommodation.

I am sure there are many others perhaps in a similar situation as mine who have come to see Thailand as their 'home' whether married or not, whether they are of good health or not, whether money is an issue or not.

I live alone and am now in much better health

Given a choice as a person on low income I would prefer the UK if it were possible to live near my children / grandchildren, unfortunately I am priced out of that market in all ways imaginable.

Perhaps my local immigration will be understanding as I have always retained my retirement visa deposit, if not then its border hopping if it's possible or, facing a miserable and cold existence in the UK with a guaranteed early demise.

For those who have posted 'good riddance' to us poor older people have a little heart for this is our home ( for whatever reason ) and we may not be as young as you.

Well said, and yes it's looking like the Thai top dogs want us oldies gone, like you I have paid for all the good treatment I have received with the Thai hospitals and clinics, and in the same sort of predicament as you insofar as returning to the UK for a much earlier demise, wait until I tell my good Thai lady what the Thai authorities want, looks like my days are over here,and try and time it to return to the UK springtime and maybe I will get a rented place in the UK and return as a short stayer, don't know how long I can do the ever increasingly difficult airplane trips though.

You can see exactly where this going. Mandatory overpriced Thai insurance policies with exorbitant annual increases (all non Thai policies must me backed up with translated copies) the potential for price gouging will be too much to resist. Followed soon by the insurance companies requiring a compulsory annual medical from hospitals approved by themselves.....with the added bonus of an ongoing bureaucratic nightmare. 

I've figured out a workaround for the insurance.   God only knows how much money and time and paperwork will be involved with getting appropriate insurance here "in country."   There are so many variables to consider.

I am just going to go to the Embassy and sign an affadavit that I won't get sick or hurt while I am here.   That should work.   I'll be out 1 day for going into bankok and $50 to do the papers.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It says "renew visa". Since a visa cannot be renewed one assumes what is meant is extension of stay. 

Though technically incorrect, it is not unusual for people to refer to extensions of stay as visa extension or visa renewal.

Whenever Imm make an announcement of a change in their 'rules" they should perhaps hire a person that can put it to a format that we can all understand instead of us having to make our own interpretation.Not only English but other languages.They always go off half cocked.Then again we do have Ubon Joe to make sense of it all.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Lots of companies do over 75, its just more expensive, one of them does up to 100 years old.

But most of them, no all but most, have renewal only clauses. So if someone didn't already have a policy earlier in life they can't get it now.

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Seen a few of your posts.

You are a piece of work aren't you. Have to work at it or does it come naturally?

I'd say naturally.  No-one could contrive to be like that 100% of the time so it must be due to what passes for his (disordered) personality.

It's certainly pretty obvious where he comes from too.  

Archived