Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Melbun said:

Chuckle - so you want to have a policy that carte blanche accepts all the illness accumulated over a lifetime ?? That is really funny. Hmmm bet you still believe in the fairy god mother.

I have read several of your posts. I have not yet made up my mind. Are you a troll or just simply trying your best to be unpleasant? If all these developments do not bother or concern yourself, then why not quietly lay back and relax?

42 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The other thing the OP article doesn't even address is the fact that A LOT of Thai insurers won't write new medical insurance policies for ANYONE, Thai or farang, once a person gets older, with the cutoff ages varying by insurer... Once you get beyond 65 here, there are still options, but the choices get much fewer.

Is there any insurer who will cover 75+..??

12 minutes ago, Headgame said:

Thanks for posting the BKK Bank fee and coverage chart.
Glad now that I am along time customer with Baht in the bank
I'm turning 75 in June but will apply now for this coverage.
Not a bad deal at all.

It looks like a terrible deal to me, others give better cover for far less. 107k baht for 400k cover max is very poor imo. Get cancer or need a heart operation and that cover will go nowhere.

8 minutes ago, Headgame said:

Thanks for posting the BKK Bank fee and coverage chart.
Glad now that I am along time customer with Baht in the bank
I'm turning 75 in June but will apply now for this coverage.
Not a bad deal at all.

Not bad if you are "senior" in age. That is actually the "Bangkok Insurance" company chart - not the Bangkok Bank. Bangkok Bank policies come from the Bangkok Life Assurance Public Company Limited.

According to that Bangkok Insurance chart, I would pay almost double what I pay now, for half the coverage ! The "Plan 4" I used to have gave me 930,000 IPD (per "confinement") and 45,000 in OPD for 27,000 per year.

That Bangkok Insurance chart shows a policy of only 400,000 IPD and 40,000 OPD, for 51,000 per year ! That's like 89% more for less coverage !

I've not read the entire thread.  Posting running faster than it takes to read.

However:

I was trying to think this through. No company will insure me at my age. The requirement states that the policy must cover 400,000 in-patient care. With many of us using the 800,000 cash in the bank solution. The fact that it is there and can't be drawn below 400,000 should cover the requirement.

Does that make sense?

Must have? No you don't. Just have funds to pay your medical bills.

God almighty - all the bleaters and sooky babies moaning of what is right and proper. You must have health insurance in a foreign country. Stop moaning - accept it of go back to your former country.

Now all we need is the get it in plain understandable English from ThaiVisa. Not just what the government spokesman said because we all know what they say is in an Alien Galictick language that none of us understand even thecPolice departments and Imigration departments.

20 minutes ago, randy723 said:

OK thank you very much for the info

BTW, keep in mind, the health insurance coverage amounts listed in this new rule for O-A visas and such are MUCH lower than the typical health insurance policies that farangs here likely would obtain -- the new rule being 400,000 baht coverage for inpatient and 40,000 coverage for outpatient.

Sheryl, for example, our resident expert moderator of medical and health insurance topics, generally recommends expats here get medical insurance coverage of at least 3 - 5 million baht.

I'm mentioning this, because, if you're just looking to meet the requirement of the new rule, it might be best to look first at some of the specific new Long Stay Visa medical insurance policies listed on that website that are tailored to the new 400,000 / 40,000 baht rule. Because of their lesser coverage amounts, the premiums for those SHOULD be lower than the typical regular / higher coverage health insurance coverage policies.

3 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Hi Everybody, have a look at Thailife medical insurance company.  I can get 400,000 baht in patient and 40 baht outpatient coverage at the age of 75 years old for 41,800 per annum, which I assume can be paid monthly at 3,484.  Other policies quotes are either way higher than this and one of them has a couple of very poor reviews on Google - buyer beware!  Another one will not even download.  Not quite the "death knell" (excuse the pun) that I initially thought.  Cheer up you grumbling geriatrics, life, in my opinion is still better in Thailand.

Those with pre-existing conditions? No chance, or no payment if you claim.

6 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Is there any insurer who will cover 75+..??

Yes, and we've had a thread on that topic lately that discussed some of those options. Let me see if I can find a link to it..

Meanwhile,  just in this section of this thread, someone has posted a link to a Bangkok Insurance Co. health insurance policy specifically to meet the requirements of this new govt rule (400,000 / 40,000 baht) that says they'll write new coverage up to age 80, and then renew after that.  Look for that post a few pages earlier in this thread from here.

For anyone still under 65 by a few years I would advise you shop around for cover from an international insurance company before considering any of the listed Thai policies, obviously put together to match the 400/40 requirements and priced for farangs. 

In my post (488) earlier you can get WAY better coverage than any of the Thai companies on that list for a smaller premium. However, no matter which you pick it is guaranteed to rise (in my case by 50%) as you turn 66.

45 minutes ago, The Theory said:

“According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year.“

I does not mention non-O 

It does not mention people with red hair either! It clearly states LONG STAY up to 1 year.

5 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

It looks like a terrible deal to me, others give better cover for far less. 107k baht for 400k cover max is very poor imo. Get cancer or need a heart operation and that cover will go nowhere.

does BKK bank have medical insurance for retiree?

7 minutes ago, HHTel said:

However:

I was trying to think this through. No company will insure me at my age. The requirement states that the policy must cover 400,000 in-patient care. With many of us using the 800,000 cash in the bank solution. The fact that it is there and can't be drawn below 400,000 should cover the requirement.

Does that make sense?

What's your age?  There is coverage available even as folks get older, but the options narrow considerably.

2 minutes ago, HHTel said:

However:

Does that make sense?

I don't think so because a large number of "long stay" expats are not on "Retirement" extensions or are using other means to meet the financial requirements (like income letters or monthly deposits).

As well, people on ED visas don't have to meet any financial requirements and those on marriage Extensions apparently only need to have 400k in the bank (for less amount of time) than those on Retirement Extensions.

The article did mention that they may make it a requirement that people who can't get coverage (due to age or other circumstances) may be required to keep more in the bank. They obviously haven't worked out the details of that though.

I don't get it why long term stay are burdened with this. Like someone previously mentioned, they will nail you to the bed before you get out of that hospital without paying. Its literally impossibly to leave without paying your bill without being arrested. <deleted>?

1 hour ago, Melbun said:

No good hassling me mate - I'm not the one making the rules. You should have  taken into account your long term circumstances, and have an exit strategy in place should  you no longer become welcome there. You obviously have invested yourself in this mess. I can only offer advice and limited sympathy which obviously will do little in your situation. This is an open forum for people fielding their ideas.

You are hassling the posters with your scathing comments.  If it didn't affect me and I was arrogant I like you I could say if you cannot meet the requirements leave,  or a silly remark like you should have planned,,, BYE

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, keep in mind, the health insurance coverage amounts listed in this new rule for O-A visas and such are MUCH lower than the typical health insurance policies that farangs here likely would obtain -- the new rule being 400,000 baht coverage for inpatient and 40,000 coverage for outpatient.

Sheryl, for example, our resident expert moderator of medical and health insurance topics, generally recommends expats here get medical insurance coverage of at least 3 - 5 million baht.

I'm mentioning this, because, if you're just looking to meet the requirement of the new rule, it might be best to look first at some of the specific new Long Stay Visa medical insurance policies listed on that website that are tailored to the new 400,000 / 40,000 baht rule. Because of their lesser coverage amounts, the premiums for those probably are going to be much lower than the typical regular health insurance coverage policies.

Actually if you look at the premiums, they are not. And 400k limit is useless IMO.

For same price you can get much better level of cover - but NOT for OPD cover. It is this unnecessary  requirement for 40,000 baht of OPD coverage that makes this so difficult.

28 minutes ago, eddysmit said:

Sounds like you have received medical treatment and not paid, for the many times I have visited hospitals,clinics I have always paid my bill, for one operation it was even lower than the estimate they gave me before my operation, I did get an operation some years ago before payment,but my Thai lady signed a piece of paper as guarantor, for the last one they asked for a deposit plus a Thai guarantor, and I find it difficult to understand what foreigners get treatment for free, even Thais pay, their 'ten Bhat card' only gets limited treatment, and that is not for foreigners to use.

Sounds like you are good at assumptions, mate. And have a complex...it’s not about those who can pay. It’s about those who cannot pay or die after accumulating a big bill. 

4 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Those with pre-existing conditions? No chance, or no payment if you claim.

There's no mention at all in the OP articles on the issues of exclusions, just the required coverage amounts...

So if you had a 400,000 / 40,000 baht policy -- BUT, it excluded various things -- how's the MFA and Immigration etc. going to deal with that kind of situation?  I don't think we have any clue...  Might they just keep it simple and only check for the required coverage amounts, and ignore exclusions. I have no idea!

This is a policy that the Thai government has not thought through and considered all the ramifications on the expat community.  No surprise.... but for someone who has a policy that meets or exceeds the current requirements, there is no guarantee that such policy won't be cancelled.  IF there is to be mandatory coverage then there must be policies that adhere to a specified rate structure and cannot be cancelled.  The Thai government would be a much better source to offer this insurance at rates that are based on sound actuarial assumptions.  It could be win-win instead of throwing us to the insurance wolves.

15 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

It does not mention people with red hair either! It clearly states LONG STAY up to 1 year.

The OP specifically mentions only one long stay visa, not a generic statement for "all" long stay visa's. And extensions are not mentioned, only visa renewal.

"According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year."

It doesnt mention red hair, at the moment it specifically mentions only one hair color. OA

Archived