Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

10 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

I cannot believe the number of mindless postings on this thread debating the meaning of renewal vs. extension of stay . Enough!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Since stay or go for many and the happiness and security of thousands of lives depend on the meaning of the word perhaps you could clarify the definition as meant by the two Thai people who have been translated and quoted.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Easy way to find out.  Call him up and ask him if he meant extension.  

Some here are totally sure, not up to them to call the guy as there is no reason to.

On the other hand the skeptics/the ones in panic, should.

Even take the necessary steps to get an insurance now.

The price to pay to be suspicious.

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Some here are totally sure, not up to them to call the guy as there is no reason to.

On the other hand the skeptics/the ones in panic, should.

Even take the necessary steps to get an insurance now.

The price to pay to be suspicious.

Journalists should not be skeptics and trust everything and everyone and not ask for clarification of dubious words and meanings. 

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Journalists should not be skeptics and trust everything and everyone and not ask for clarification of dubious words and meanings.

You misunderstand the role of the modern journalist. Nowadays someone takes the press release issued by a company/politician and simply regurgitates it.  It cuts down on the need for human intervention, also known as "cost savings". A true journalist is more conscientious and not only sometimes alters the order of the sentences in the press release but even adds a few words of their own. This is known as "adding value"

^^

That's up to them, each in particular.
Maybe in this case it was so clear in the mind of  the journalist that he was convinced that further questions weren't necessary.

On the other hand each reader may have his own interpretation and act ( or not) accordingly.

16 minutes ago, nongsung said:

OK, a rant, a long rant...

This whole debacle of upcoming changes regarding mandatory insurance is having an effect on me; I’m having a kind of mental block about it.

Let’s assume it applies to me, retirement.

I’m already very edgy regarding the 800.000 /400.000 rule because I think it is not fair when you compare it with monthly 65.000THB.

You can’t touch or use your 800.000/400.000 but they allow you to spend your 65.000THB as you wish.

For me, I understand that they want me to show that I can take care

of myself and my account shows that. But, I can’t touch it...crazy.

Furthermore I get peanuts (interest) on that semi-locked account.

Don’t like that at all. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I need the money,

it’s the fact that I can’t touch it (or at least a big chunk of it).

Now, with the mandatory insurance thingy, I get really upset.

60/70/80.000 THB for a theoretical coverage of 400K/40K but

we all know how that’s gonna work out.

I understand the requirement, it’s better for everyone if one is fully

insured but this ‘scheme’ seems tailored to extract as much money

as they can and I’m getting sick of it.

And the reason for all this is because we don’t pay our hospital bills.

Seeing the figures in the Nation it is clear to me that the biggest chunk

is caused by uninsured tourist. How can 60/70.000 O-A’s rack up

600.000 unpaid bills? How can they be the cause of -300M THB?

For me, the insurance scheme is bull..., the reason for it is bull... too

I’m all for fair but this is going to far.

A poster wrote something along the lines of ‘how high do you want

me to jump? Higher!’ 

I don’t wanna jump higher, I’m NOT gonna jump higher.

I feel already stupid enough to have jumped this high. 

If things are like they are going to be then I will not renew,

extend or whatever you wanna call that stampy thingy in my passport.

Nobody needs to feel sorry, Thailand will not shed one tear but

upholding my principles are far more important than an unsure future

that lies ahead of me.

I’m a guest in this country, I know. But I’m treated as someone who you

can’t trust, who reports to his parole officer every 90 days, for many,

many years and now I’m gonna get screwed over with a crappy, expensive

insurance?

I’m afraid my time in Thailand has run it’s course, have to kick my backup

plan into action. Ten months to go...

But wait a minute... what’s that Thai Elite plan... let’s investigate...

to be continued.

All you guys threatening to leave Thailand.....Just go.....No one gives a rats-ass.......Stay no problem....Go no problem.....But the threats are getting boring...

Just now, fforest1 said:

All you guys threatening to leave Thailand.....Just go.....No one gives a rats-ass.......Stay no problem....Go no problem.....But the threats are getting boring...

why do you read them?

23 minutes ago, nongsung said:

I’m already very edgy regarding the 800.000 /400.000 rule because I think it is not fair when you compare it with monthly 65.000THB.

So why don't you use the 65'000B income method rather that the 800'000B in bank method? :ermm:

Many people on this forum not stopping to say that retirees "now have to keep 800'000B in the bank" when in fact it's only one of 3 options to get extension.

7 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

So why don't you use the 65'000B income method rather that the 800'000B in bank method? :ermm:

Many people on this forum not stopping to say that retirees "now have to keep 800'000B in the bank" when in fact it's only one of 3 options to get extension.

Unfortunately I have no 65.000THB per month (yet). At the end of this year one pension kicks in but that will be lower than 65K. How much lower I don’t know yet. Still money will be locked up then. Then in 2021 another pension starts and then, only then I should be able to use the 65K option (or whatever the new requirements are then)

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

"now have to keep 800'000B in the bank" when in fact it's only one of 3 options to get extension.

Correct, I personally can not put 800000 in a Thai bank account.

But I still can use a Letter of Income, which I do.

I also transfer more than the equivalent of 65000 per month to Thailand, bur I don't use this option for my extension, as I don't have to.

Just wondering what percentage of those Farang not paying their hospital bills actually have AO Visas or even O Visas??
My guess it's probably mostly tourists that don't pay their Medical bills so they haven't thought this through much.

Or maybe they have just get the Farang retirees to foot the bill for the Tourist Farang.

5 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

All this bickering ,ime right your wrong,no ime right your wrong.
Just say my dads bigger than your dad,and leave it at that.
Your acting like kids anyway.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Don't know what you are talking about.  I'm just trying to motivate someone to get a simple answer to a big question - will extensions be forced to have out patient 40k insurance.  It is quite important to me and my family.  I don't know why all the hoopla about such a simple request. 

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Don't know what you are talking about.  I'm just trying to motivate someone to get a simple answer to a big question - will extensions be forced to have out patient 40k insurance.  It is quite important to me and my family.  I don't know why all the hoopla about such a simple request. 

No one knows for sure but some say they do. hence the hoopla

It was always a requirement that a _resident_ in Thailand has a valid health insurance. The only thing new is: now they put it on the visa requirements. Guess why they do that? Because you guys ignore the law and have no health insurance ... super simple. But again: it is the Thais fault ...

11 minutes ago, Enki said:

It was always a requirement that a _resident_ in Thailand has a valid health insurance. The only thing new is: now they put it on the visa requirements. Guess why they do that? Because you guys ignore the law and have no health insurance ... super simple. But again: it is the Thais fault ...

please link us to that requirement

On this very moment the requirements for a O-A visum on the Royal Thai Embassy do not note the mandatory health insurance?

What will happen if one request a O-A visa tomorrow with all other documents without the insurance?

See copy

2. Required Documents

- Passport with validity of not less than 18 months

- 3 copies of completed visa application forms

- 3 passport-sized photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm) of the applicant taken within the past six months

- A personal data form

- Confirmed ticket paid in full

- A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht

- In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required.

- An English Extract from the birth registration (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission)

- An English Extract from the register of population (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission)

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission)

- A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission)

Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary.

In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa.  A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.

5 hours ago, Enki said:

But are we residents, or are we visitors with an extension to stay, only good for a year? If we are residents why can't we buy into the same insurance scheme available to other Thai residents ?

2 hours ago, Marius Brok said:

What will happen if one request a O-A visa tomorrow with all other documents without the insurance? 

The requirement won't take effect until 1 July at the earliest. So you can apply now without it. We don't even know for sure yet whether it will actually take effect in July, but definitely not right now. 

Personal experience from a "Trip" last night... 

Tripped coming out of the BTS & banged my head (lots of blood), trip to Sukumvit hospital, no passport no questions/checks on insurance, just treated & guided to the cashier on exit (15K paid on my credit card).

Head hurts like a bitch this morning & despite me repeatedly telling them "No Stitches" I can feel where they've given me 2-3 

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

But are we residents, or are we visitors with an extension to stay, only good for a year? If we are residents why can't we buy into the same insurance scheme available to other Thai residents ?

You can buy private health insurance just like Thais.  And being a resident is not the same as being a citizen.  However, Thai citizens have no need to buy private health insurance because as Thai citizens they are covered for free under the Thailand national health program/30 baht program.  Now many Thais do buy extra private health insurance to supplement their 30 baht program coverage, but they are just doing that because they don't want to deal with the 30 baht program or don't like govt hospital...that's OK....it's their choice if they want to pay out of pocket for private insurance.

38 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Tripped coming out of the BTS & banged my head (lots of blood), trip to Sukumvit hospital, no passport no questions/checks on insurance, just treated & guided to the cashier on exit (15K paid on my credit card).

Head hurts like a bitch this morning & despite me repeatedly telling them "No Stitches" I can feel where they've given me 2-3 

Probably needed stitches to securely hold the GPS transmitter in case you skipped out without payment.    But getting the transmitter removed will cost another 15K but prepaid.  ????

Seriously, hope you get well soon.

43 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Jut to point out a few stitches usually cost around 250bht in Thailand.

You've been well overcharged.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Probably needed stitches to securely hold the GPS transmitter in case you skipped out without payment.    But getting the transmitter removed will cost another 15K but prepaid.  ????

Seriously, hope you get well soon.

Very expensive 2/3 stitches ?

On 5/18/2019 at 5:42 PM, marcusarelus said:

"Current holders of this visa will have to produce proof of their health insurance for visa renewal"

Visa renewal = Extension.

I don't understand how any current holder of a Non-Imm OA would need to renew anything, other than his Permission to Stay Stamp by doing a Visa Run. That was my thought, using the Visa in it's last month or so after July, one may be asked wrt Medical Insurance at the border/airport.

The Visa renewal=Extension is conjecture. 

On 5/18/2019 at 7:23 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes, we have not seen any press release that explicitly suggests or hints that extensions for people that started with an O visa (rather than an O-A) may be under this new requirement.

And that would be silly. An extension of the Permission to Stay for 12 months has the same terms and conditions irrespective of the original Visa. In fact the requirement simply states a Non-Imm O Visa. 

Does only these nations is acceptable for O-A visa type:

(1) Japanese (2) Australia (3) Kingdom of Denmark (4) Republic of Finland

(5) Republic of France (6) Federal Republic of Germany (7) Republic of Italy (8) Kingdom The Netherlands

(9) The Kingdom of Norway (10) The Kingdom of Sweden (11) Swiss Confederation

(12) United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (13) Canada and (14) United States of America?

On 5/18/2019 at 8:13 PM, marcusarelus said:

I think the point is the guy said renew an O-A visa.  So either you think he knows absolutely nothing or he meant extension.  Which is the more likely state of absence knowledge of Visas?

As Mr Nattawuth is from the Health Service Support Department that is quite possible on the subject of Visas, Renewals, Extensions etc. It is hardly intuitive. 

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I don't understand how any current holder of a Non-Imm OA would need to renew anything, other than his Permission to Stay Stamp by doing a Visa Run. That was my thought, using the Visa in it's last month or so after July, one may be asked wrt Medical Insurance at the border/airport.

The Visa renewal=Extension is conjecture.

Correct.  The statement  "The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay, Dr Natthawut Prasertsiripong, Chief of the MoPH Department of Health Service Support said.

Makes no sense unless renew means extension now does it?

Archived