Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CLS said:

Compare Platinum 1 for Long Stay with Standard Plus premiums.
Same same - but big difference
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/longstay-visa/

https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Standard_Plan-Edit-1.pdf
Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Why the big difference in cost? 

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why the big difference in cost? 

Plus the standard policy is not available to new applicants that are over the age of sixty-five, so us over that age would have no option other than to pay the higher premiums.

Can't find it in any legit papers like that one in Bangkok or any others.  Seems it would be big news.  Wonder why no one else is covering it.  Hmmmm?
Maybe because adding a insurance requirement to OA visas, after it's already been a requirement for OX visas, is not very big news.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Applicants and their dependants must possess a medical insurance coverage from any insurance company that is valid in Malaysia.

Applicants aged 50 and above may comply with the financial proof of RM350,000 in liquid assets and off shore income of RM10,000 per month.  For certified copy(s) of Current Account submitted as financial proof, applicants must provide the latest 3 months’ statement with each month’s credit balance of RM 350,000. For government pensioners, they can show proof of receiving pension of at least RM 10,000 per month.

Open a fixed deposit account of RM 150,000.00.

Tis you who are in error.  Not I. 

Na, you can do unlimited visa runs in Malaysia. There is no restriction. 

I mean if you want to give them your money they will take it.. haha

But for long term stay very easy and extremely cheap.

I drove over from Thailand and stayed about a year, the only hassle was if you bring in a Thai GF or wife I guess. They only get a one month visa and have to stay out for 7 days when they leave. 

Not only that the food kicks Thailands ass big time. Wow, it is amazing in Georgetown. I am talking amazing delicious and cheap.

27 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe because adding a insurance requirement to OA visas, after it's already been a requirement for OX visas, is not very big news.

It would be big news.  You know it and so do I.  It is not being covered because it cannot be verified. 

40 minutes ago, garyk said:

Na, you can do unlimited visa runs in Malaysia. There is no restriction. 

I mean if you want to give them your money they will take it.. haha

But for long term stay very easy and extremely cheap.

I drove over from Thailand and stayed about a year, the only hassle was if you bring in a Thai GF or wife I guess. They only get a one month visa and have to stay out for 7 days when they leave. 

Not only that the food kicks Thailands ass big time. Wow, it is amazing in Georgetown. I am talking amazing delicious and cheap.

You can do 1 or two visa runs in Malaysia.  Immigration officials will place an entry stamp, known as a social visit pass (visa), in your passport authorizing a stay of up to 90 days. Travelers may apply to the Immigration Department for extensions of up to two months.  I believe you have to show $10,000.

Lots of stories about problems getting in for a second or third run.  You can google. 

https://traveleverywhere-earnanywhere.com/2018/10/29/extending-your-malaysian-short-term-social-visit-visa/

It would be big news.  You know it and so do I.  It is not being covered because it cannot be verified. 
If it was going to affect all expats over 50 living in Thailand, it would be huge news. But it isn't, and therefore it isn't very newsworthy. To be fair, I believe a Pattaya radio station broadcast a piece that took the line that you are pushing, but now that the dust has settled I think they have retracted it, or are at least not repeating it.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

You can do 1 or two visa runs in Malaysia.  Immigration officials will place an entry stamp, known as a social visit pass (visa), in your passport authorizing a stay of up to 90 days. Travelers may apply to the Immigration Department for extensions of up to two months.  I believe you have to show $10,000.

Lots of stories about problems getting in for a second or third run.  You can google. 

https://traveleverywhere-earnanywhere.com/2018/10/29/extending-your-malaysian-short-term-social-visit-visa/

Nonsense, Malaysia does not care. Immigration there is the easiest I have ever delt with. I did back to back 90 days tourist visa for a year. Then several years did the tourist stamp several times in a year. 

10,000  haha.  

1 hour ago, garyk said:

Nonsense, Malaysia does not care. Immigration there is the easiest I have ever delt with. I did back to back 90 days tourist visa for a year. Then several years did the tourist stamp several times in a year. 

10,000  haha.  

In all fairness policies like that are subject to change for any country. So it may have already changed since you were doing that. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

In all fairness policies like that are subject to change for any country. So it may have already changed since you were doing that. 

I doubt it very seriously.  But, i will ask a friend that lives in Frazier hill.

Looks like we have nearly another six weeks of this uncertainty, I can't believe that a big concern like the Nation cannot get a definitive answer to who exactly will be affected by this mandatory health insurance?  Many people are voicing there opinion, and to be honest I can see both sides of the debate.  However, like hundreds, maybe thousands of others who read this forum, we need something from an official source.

8 hours ago, garyk said:

10,000  haha.  

How long ago did you do this as nothing I read and the agent I employed did not agree with you?

59 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

How long ago did you do this as nothing I read and the agent I employed did not agree with you?

2014/2015 I did back-2-back visa exempt for 15 months in KL, but I was travelling in & out a lot (e.g. I went to the UK for 2 weeks, came back for 5 days then went to Aus/NZ for 2 weeks, came back for 2 days then Thailand for a month, back for 4 days, Bali for 1 month etc...) - Longest I ever spent in-country was probably 2, maybe 2.5 weeks

3 hours ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

Youve had longer to save though lol????????

And more time to get those 'pre-existing conditions' that are exempted under that more expensive insurance policy.......so we're paying more for less 555 ????????

5 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

2014/2015 I did back-2-back visa exempt for 15 months in KL, but I was travelling in & out a lot (e.g. I went to the UK for 2 weeks, came back for 5 days then went to Aus/NZ for 2 weeks, came back for 2 days then Thailand for a month, back for 4 days, Bali for 1 month etc...) - Longest I ever spent in-country was probably 2, maybe 2.5 weeks

I heard that then.  I think you will find it is now changed.  Far more expensive than Thailand for the older expat. 

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:45 AM, Longcut said:

It's not hospitals like Bumrungrad that the Thai government is worried about not being paid. Private hospitals have their own way of collecting money. 

Tricare will not send payments to Thai government hospitals. 

The insurance policy must offer up to Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to Bt400,000 for inpatient treatment. 

This is one of the measures the government has introduced to ease the financial burden placed on state hospitals by foreigners, many of whom have not paid for treatment. 

"Tricare will not send payments to Thai government hospitals."

False. Thai government hospitals have chosen not to directly bill TRICARE.

3 minutes ago, Neocon said:

"Tricare will not send payments to Thai government hospitals."

False. Thai government hospitals have chosen not to directly bill TRICARE.

Then why will they send payment to private hospitals? Assuming you mean FMP too.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:25 AM, Longcut said:

I agree. Government hospitals are good for minor things. When I was in Bangkok Hospital last year, they wouldn't file anything with Tricare. Said, Tricare wouldn't accept it. I had to pay first and then file. Maybe you just have better luck. 

"When I was in Bangkok Hospital last year, they wouldn't file anything with Tricare. Said, Tricare wouldn't accept it."

You were not told the truth. The hospital chose not to directly bill TRICARE and then tried to blame TRICARE.

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Then why will they send payment to private hospitals?

TRICARE would accept a claim for reimbursement consideration if a Thai gov hospital submitted one.

TRICARE accepts retired U.S. military claims for reimbursement consideration from private hospitals that submit them. Few will directly bill TRICARE for retired military inpatient treatment.

Eventually, probably in July as folks go in for their extensions of permission to stay, we'll find out what the full story is.  In the meanwhile, we'll have another 100 pages or more of folks bickering about whether renewal means or doesn't mean extension.  And they say comedy is dead...

Any hospital wanting to bill any medical insurance company first needs to register/setup/be approved for direct billing with that insurance company.   If Thai hospital don't do that then they can not direct bill.

On 5/14/2019 at 7:15 AM, bkk6060 said:

Geez seriously??

Kind of pushing things isn´t it?

This thread will go on for many pages with 99% of the attacks on the Government, ins. companies and immigration.

Very naive and not real.

The fact is this had been talked about for several years do to the irresponsible, low life expats who do not pay their hospital bills.  That is the truth but all the BS will continue....

Am in my 23rd year living in Thailand and have never gone into a hospital for anything, including an emergency appendectomy, without a substantial deposit upfront. Have had 3 fractures, again paid for prior to surgery, husband's colonoscopy paid for in advance, CT Scans paid for in advance, hospital stays paid daily, etc., etc., etc., at hospitals where we are known! I don't know any "low life expats" getting away without paying their hospital bills. Perhaps claiming they have health insurance? Tourists, yes . . . people living here? With addresses here? I don't believe it. And maybe I just haven't met the low lifes.

Why doesn't the Thai government just come out with a medical scheme they tried in 2014, or there abouts. It was a medical scheme for long stay expats and foreign workers using government hospitals . I think the conditions of joining was having a Yellow Book and you paid a one off fee after taking a medical including a chest xray. The government scrapped it some months later. Now I can't see why they can't reintroduce this again as a condition of living here. At the time I thought it was a brilliant idea.

No it will be owned by friends of the people that approve these changes and is part of the network. In this network people take care of each other and enrich themselves at the cost of others. This is the story of this country.

Chances are , the insurance company will be owned by the Thai Goverment.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Question on NHS care entitlement (I am not currently retired at age of 48 but plan to wind down from full-time work in the next couple of years if possible) -

If I reside in Thailand for say 8 months of the year and return to the UK for 4 months of the year to work on contract (paying UK taxes on all income obtained during the year, I would rent out my UK property while away), am I able to retain entitlement to NHS care over the course of the year? I receive free prescriptions in the UK for epilepsy (fully controlled for a long time) and TRT so would prefer not to have to de-register from the GP to fund this stuff myself, though I will consider doing so if necessary. I also need to attend annual reviews at hospital for this treatment.  

I undertstand that doing a 6 month split shouldn't be an issue in terms of retaining my "ordinarily resident" status in the UK (though I thought I read it was only 3 months outside of EEA countries?) but I definitely prefer to be in Thailand longer than that.   

If I can't retain NHS care while in Thailand and fund my epilepsy and TRT medicine myself, is Thai government hospital cover accessible to me if I need it (self-funded)? I assume travel insurance is not practical on visits of 8 months (though I would intend to use a METV) and private cover will be prohibitive given my circumstances.

Any comments would help, thanks.

Archived