Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Once again one of the principal questions about this mandatory health insurance has not been fully clarified !!

Do you need mandatory health insurance if you are on an extension of stay based on retirement originating from an OA visa ??

Hi Andrew,

I posted this elsewhere but tough to keep up with all posts, infact near on impossible.

Yes you do.

Hope this helps, it is all we have at this moment regarding the specifics of this new initiative:

To Business Partners,
The purpose of writing to you is to update you on the status of the above visa requirements for foreigners.  

Pacific Cross has approval from the Immigration Department office to provide products in support of a "long stay" visa applicant for both types 1 year O-A, and 10 Year O-X.  However at this stage only the O-X 10 Year Visa minimum insurance requirements have been determined and a copy of these rules are shown below.

In line with this Pacific Cross has developed three "Long Stay" insurance plans to support the O-X 10 Year Visa applications.  These plans are know as Platinum 1, Platinum 2, Platinum 3, please note that only these plans from Pacific Cross are accepted by the Immigration Department at this point in time.

As previously intimated the insurance requirements for the O-A (1 Year Visa) have not yet been determined therefore please reassure your clients not to panic unnecessarily.  Policy holders may need to upgrade their plans so for us Pacific Cross Health Insurance we are working on how such changes will be accommodated.

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay)

On 22 November 2016, the Cabinet of Thailand approved new scheme which allows nationals from 14 countries to stay in Thailand for the maximum period of 10 years. In order to enjoy this new scheme, the applicants must apply for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay) or so called Non-O-X Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General (when applying outside Thailand) or the Immigration Bureau (when applying in Thailand). 

The purpose of this type of visa is to promote long stay for foreign traveler to Thailand. Nationals from 14 countries with the age of 50 years old or over can apply for a multiple-entry Non-O-X visa and stay in the Kingdom for the maximum period of 10 years
(5 years according to visa validity plus an extension for another 5 years). The visa fee is 10,000 Baht (or local currency equivalent if applying outside Thailand).

In accordance with the Notification of the Ministry of Interior Re: Authorization for Certain Groups of Aliens to Enter the Kingdom on an exceptional case on Long-Stay Purpose in accordance with the Cabinet Resolution, dated 22 November B.E. 2559 (2016) (effective from 11 August 2017), foreigners with the following qualifications and supporting documents may apply for a multiple-entry Non-O-X visa:                       

Applicants’ qualifications

1. Age of 50 years old or over

2. Applicants must hold passport and nationality of (1) Japan (2) Australia (3) Denmark (4) Finland (5) France (6) Germany (7) Italy (8) Netherlands (9) Norway (10) Sweden (11) Switzerland (12) United Kingdom (13) Canada (14) United States of America 

3. Financial qualifications

(a) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or

(b) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year. Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.

The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand. 

4. Applicants must have no forbidden diseases according to the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction and third stage of Syphilis. 

5. Applicants must have Thai medical insurance during their stay in Thailand (per the approval of the Office of Insurance Commission) and medical claims for outpatient must not be less than 40,000 Baht, for inpatient must not be less than 400,000 Baht.

Required Documentation

1. Passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of travel.

2. Three (3) application forms and 3 photographs (size 4 X 6 cm. taken within the last 6 months) 

3. One (1) biography

4. Financial evidence

4.1 Certificate of bank deposit stating bank contact information, copy of bank book and bank statement which shows fixed deposit with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand;

OR

4.2 Certificate of bank deposit stating bank contact information, copy of bank book and bank statement which shows fixed deposit with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand and certificate of annual income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht (local currency equivalent) per year. (Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.)

5. Certificate of criminal record clearance from the country of nationality. In case the applicants have permanent residence in other country, they must provide the aforementioned document from both country of nationality and country of permanent residence. 

6. Medical certificate from the country where the applicants apply visa stating that applicants don’t have any prohibited diseases according to the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E.2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis. The medical certificate must not be issued over 3 months. 

7. Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the  Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance money for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht.
Please check < http://longstay.tgia.org > for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

8. Visa fee: 10,000 Baht (local currency equivalent)

Spouse and child, age under 20 years old, can apply for Non-O-X visa and must have the following required documents

9.  Spouse (no age restriction) must show a copy of marriage certificate together with documents
stated in 1-8.

10. Child age under 20 years old must show a copy of birth certificate or proof of legitimate child and also have to submit documents number 1-3, 7 and 8

How to Apply for Non-O-X Visa (in case of applying outside Thailand)

1.      Foreigners who have the required qualifications and supporting documents as stated above may apply for Non-O-X Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General in the country of their nationality or where they have permanent residence.

2.      The Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General examines the qualifications and supporting documents and informs the result to the applicants.

3.      In case that the visa is approved, foreigners (main applicant, spouse, and lawful child under 20 years old) will obtain a multiple-entry Non-O-X visa with visa validity of 5 years

4.      Upon arrival in Thailand, the immigration officer will grant the Non-O-X visa holders the stay permit in the Kingdom for the period of not exceeding 5 years according to visa validity.

Other Useful Information

- Benefits of the Non-O-X visa holders

1) Can work as a volunteer (in accordance with the list of volunteer work as stipulated by the Department of Employment).

2) Can purchase vehicle (under the provision of laws on motor vehicles).

3) Can purchase condominium (proceed in accordance with the Condominium Act).

- Foreigners who enter Thailand with other type of Visa/Visa Exemption may contact the Immigration Bureau and apply for Non-O-X visa.

- Foreigners who enter Thailand with Non-O-X visa may change from Non-O-X to other type of Visa by submitting request to the Immigration Bureau. Spouse and child’s visa approval will be changed according to status of the main applicant. However, spouse can apply for Non-O-X by himself/ herself if he/she meets the qualifications.

- Spouse/child who does not qualify for Non-O-X visa may apply for other type of non-immigrant visa in order to stay in Thailand with the Non-O-X visa holder.

- Upon the completion of 90 days stay period in Thailand, foreigners must notify the Immigration Bureau of their residence in Thailand and shall repeat at every 90 days interval.

- Foreigners must report, in person, to the immigration officer every 1 year for the examination of the qualifications and supporting documents.

- Stay permit of the Non-O-X visa holders may be revoked due to following conditions:

1) Foreigners do not have financial evidence as per stipulated by above qualifications such as:

- The sum of money in the bank account is less than 3 million Baht at the end of the first year of stay period in Thailand.

- the sum of money in the bank account is less than 1.5 million Baht at the end of the second year of stay period in Thailand, and/or the money in said account was spent outside Thailand.

2) Foreigners do not have insurance as per stipulated by above qualifications.

3) Foreigners pose threat to peace and security of Thailand.

4) Foreigners work without permission.

Hopefully this information is helpful to you. I have also enclosed copies of our products: Long stay visa and application for your consideration.

We will keep you informed of developments as they become known to us.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any additional information.

Regards

Tom

Tom Thomson

Chief Executive Officer

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I have insurance and only need the 40,000 baht outpatient insurance.  Can you do that if I give you 40,000 baht?

Whilst in principle this is a wonderful solution for people that have IPD only plans, our system constraints can not accommodate something bespoke like this, more importantly at this stage the authorities would not accept such structure.

Again one hopes they will allow more plans and structures of plans to be suffice Marcus.

1 minute ago, Thaivisa Health Protect said:

Whilst in principle this is a wonderful solution for people that have IPD only plans, our system constraints can not accommodate something bespoke like this, more importantly at this stage the authorities would not accept such structure.

Again one hopes they will allow more plans and structures of plans to be suffice Marcus.

Did you really write before that extensions need insurance if the original visa say, 10 years ago, was an O-A?  Are you sure about that?

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Pacific Cross told me in an email that the requirements for the O-A visa had not been determined yet. 

HI Marcus,

Apologies for that, we are not nor ever have been Visa experts.  This is somewhat work in progress for us also.  The info above should outline exactly who this mandatory insurance pertains to.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, I do my extensions of stay at immigration, not sure where else I could do them ?

You also do money in bank 800k or 65,000 income if so a very valid question...why 2 different visa for extension to stay..... non O and non OA.?

I have been insured for years (18 million a year - more than enough insurance) but if this BS idea of 40,000 baht OPD cover ever gets implemented to a marriage extension at a later date, it will add another 35% onto my premium. Just pure BS. Everyone is on the bandwagon now trying to make a buck. Yes, I believe in insurance otherwise I would not be insured but to pay for out patients when it is so cheap does my head in.

5 minutes ago, Thaivisa Health Protect said:

Hi Andrew,

I posted this elsewhere but tough to keep up with all posts, infact near on impossible.

Yes you do.

With an extension of stay based on retirement originating from an OA visa.  You wrote you need need medical insurance.  Are you really saying you need medical insurance if you are doing an extension from 10 or 20 years ago O-A visa?  For example I got an O-A visa in 2005 and have been doing extensions ever since.  I would not need medical insurance if I got an O-A visa in America today.  But you are saying that if I get an extension today in Thailand I'll need insurance?  Are you sure?

8 minutes ago, Thaivisa Health Protect said:

HI Marcus,

Apologies for that, we are not nor ever have been Visa experts.  This is somewhat work in progress for us also.  The info above should outline exactly who this mandatory insurance pertains to.

You just wrote above that it applies to people doing an extension who originally had an O-A visa.  I've been doing extensions for 15 years does that mean I now need insurance when even if I got a new O-A extension in America I would not now need insurance?

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

With an extension of stay based on retirement originating from an OA visa.  You wrote you need need medical insurance.  Are you really saying you need medical insurance if you are doing an extension from 10 or 20 years ago O-A visa?  For example I got an O-A visa in 2005 and have been doing extensions ever since.  I would not need medical insurance if I got an O-A visa in America today.  But you are saying that if I get an extension today in Thailand I'll need insurance?  Are you sure?

Hi Marcus,

My understanding is yes based on the info provided to us and is outlined in the letter from my CEO I posted.  I am happy to be corrected if this is wrong.  Part of the trouble with this initiative is that it's very confusing.  As I get more info I will post it accordingly 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

You just wrote above that it applies to people doing an extension who originally had an O-A visa.  I've been doing extensions for 15 years does that mean I now need insurance when even if I got a new O-A extension in America I would not now need insurance?

Again my understanding is that you would be required, from July onwards, to provide proof of mandated insurance even if applied for overseas for a NON O A visa.

I've made my feelings quite clear on what we feel about the initiative and the plans approved.

I believe the spirit of this new requirement is that it is applicable to NEW issues, NOT historic issue and subsequent extension that in effect are O extensions.

So, if you had an OA 10 years ago, you are effectively on O extensions now and its not applicable. Thats my take on it.

Someone asked the why two types ? well, the OA is issued outside the kingdom the O is in the local IO. As the extensions to the OA are done locally they are in effect now O extension and not subject to the new criteria.

That is my opinion. As we all know, Offices and even Officers will vary and its all ultimately down to interpretation. I do believe many are panicking unnecessarily at this stage.

To infer its applicable to SELL insurance in my opinion is dispicable, as it is NOT stated nor based in fact that an extension of an OA is included in ANY police order or official statement. (That I have seen)

6 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

I believe the spirit of this new requirement is that it is applicable to NEW issues

Of course. It makes perfect sense that the Thais would insist on health insurance for those coming to Thailand to live but not for those already living in Thailand

Just now, ThaiBunny said:

Of course. It makes perfect sense that the Thais would insist on health insurance for those coming to Thailand to live but not for those already living in Thailand

Absolutely, they have to start somewhere and are with the new requirement from July. It would be totally unfair and unrealistic to apply it historically. They may in the fullness of time start introducing it to renewals etc but that is yet to be determined and announced, its speculation at this point as to what "might" happen at some point in the future.

I believe the spirit of this new requirement is that it is applicable to NEW issues, NOT historic issue and subsequent extension that in effect are O extensions.

So, if you had an OA 10 years ago, you are effectively on O extensions now and its not applicable. Thats my take on it.

Someone asked the why two types ? well, the OA is issued outside the kingdom the O is in the local IO. As the extensions to the OA are done locally they are in effect now O extension and not subject to the new criteria.

That is my opinion. As we all know, Offices and even Officers will vary and its all ultimately down to interpretation. I do believe many are panicking unnecessarily at this stage.

To infer its applicable to SELL insurance in my opinion is dispicable, as it is NOT stated nor based in fact that an extension of an OA is included in ANY police order or official statement. (That I have seen)

I don’t believe that the Thai Immigration will see it that way, there are extensions originating from an OA and also originating from an O, although the extensions are one and the same.
For example i am on an extension based on retirement originating from an OA , I have never had an O visa and immigration searching through my passport will only be interested in the OA stamp !!

If the post from Thaivisa Health Protect is correct ( they do seem a little uncertain when pushed though )then mandatory health insurance applies to me too.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope that i am incorrect in my understanding and to be perfectly honest I’m still not 100% sure of the new ruling.

Then why was one of the conditions of obtaining it was that you had to be having a Yellow Book? A migrant worker doesn't qualify to get a Yellow Book. The condition of having to be a migrant worker was used as a cop out clause when they realised they'd messed up big time due to the amount of farang applying IMO.
It was intended for migrant workers and is still active and available for them. The mix up for resident exoats was due to vague wording of the relevant ditective.

A yellow book is not required gor this ince their work permits already show an address. (Govt hosps do need some proof of address to verify a person belongs to their catchment area if claiming care under a govt health scheme).

Migrant workers can get Yellow book and pink ID card same as resident expats.

I employ 2 migrant workers. Both are enrolled in the migrant health scheme and I pay to renew it for them every year. Only passport (with appropriate visa) and work permit required to do this.

I also got them listed in my Yellow Book and got them pink ID cards, that was in order to register their child in the local school.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hi Everyone,

I work for Pacific Cross/Thai Visa Protect.

Sorry I am unable to reply to every post.  That is impossible currently, the announcement took us by surprise and was overwhelming with the amount of calls and emails that came in.  To compound matters many people thought this applied to them when in fact not.  If you have got in touch please be patient and everyone will be responded to in due course.

Firstly, a point I made earlier that some may have not seen.  We have a plan that meets the visa requirement for NON O A and NON O X.  If you are on a marriage VIsa or NON O yearly extension the mandated insurance does NOT apply to you.  I can't say that the government over time will not roll this out to all visas, I suspect they may, as we all may agree its difficult to say what is around the corner legislation wise.

Let me be very clear, we more than anyone realise what a bad initiative this is in terms of coverage.  The plans available to not provide anywhere near the same value and coverage that the former products Thai Visa Protect plans or PCHI plans can provide.

May I address the difference in premiums and coverage.  The underwriters and actuaries know that because this product is only applicable to over 50's the expected claims histories and loss ratios will be much higher than the historic products available.  Therefore they have priced accordingly (FYI my understanding is that of the 6 approved vendors we are more competitive than the competition).   That is why the coverage for the premium is less value than the historic plans that can insure from 0-75yrs as a new applicant.  It's a completely different risk profile.  Though on face value I would also question why the differences in ratings. 

We would like, more than anyone, that the government allows ANY plan, ours or not, that meets or exceeds the mandated amount to be suffice to obtain the visa.  We are not comfortable selling these designated Long Stay visa plans, not only are they terrible cover, the premiums are expensive when comparing to historic plans.  At this juncture if you need the insurance to meet the requirement we have the approved plan to facilitate that.  That is not to say this is a good plan coverage or value wise!  

On a more general note, as I have seen so much misinformation being posted, we can accept new applicants up to 75yrs, over 65's are required to complete a physical exam.  Unlike moratorium plans we fully underwrite each policy, SO BEFORE you decide to accept the offer or not the coverage terms will be in black and white on the offer letter, any exclusions or wait periods will be laid out on the offer letter.  We renew up to 99yrs of age.  As long as an applicant has truthfully and correctly declared everything on the application your policy cannot be terminated.   We are one of the very few onshore companies that can consider some pre existing conditions, we may load a premium to accommodate it, apply a wait period or flat out exclude it.  Each application is looked at on a case by case basis.

We do not impose routine inflationary increases, our base rates haven't changed since 2015.  We individually experience rate each renewal.  What does this mean?

This will appear 'salesy' to some but I am again trying to be as informative as possible. Most companies typically apply 8-15% year on year, irrespective of your claims history whether large small or none.  Some companies may increase less and some certainly more.  With Thai Visa protect and Pacific Cross plans, if you have made no claims we have discounts rising to 20%, if you have moderate claims (i.e. approx  
I feel awfully sorry for people on this visa type, and concerned about people who are not able to purchase insurance whether they are over 75 or un-insurable,   Again I hope the relevant parties can come to a proper well thought out structure and outcome.

Thank you for this informatuve post.

As I understand it people are not required to have a specific plan, just insurance of at least 400k inpt (ridiculously low) and 40k outpatient (unnecessary for most people).

Would there be a way for PC to offer a 40k outpt add-on (with deductible options maybe) to its main products so as to make them compliant with these requirements? As it certainly seems wasteful for people to tske out policies for only 400k inpatient max.

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thank you for this informatuve post.

As I understand it people are not required to have a specific plan, just insurance of at least 400k inpt (ridiculously low) and 40k outpatient (unnecessary for most people).

Would there be a way for PC to offer a 40k outpt add-on (with deductible options maybe) to its main products so as to make them compliant with these requirements? As it certainly seems wasteful for people to tske out policies for only 400k inpatient max.

Hi Sheryl,

Thanks for the courteous reply.  Actually at this moment in time only 6 companies can provide the Long Stay Visa mandated insurance.  I hope as I have said this is opened up to any plan that meets or exceeds the mandated amount.  

System and regulatory wise we are not able to just sell add on OPD cover for 40k, it would solve a lot of problems for people with great IPD only plans.  

We will have to see how this plays out, one hopes logic prevails.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I don’t believe that the Thai Immigration will see it that way, there are extensions originating from an OA and also originating from an O, although the extensions are one and the same.
For example i am on an extension based on retirement originating from an OA , I have never had an O visa and immigration searching through my passport will only be interested in the OA stamp !!

If the post from Thaivisa Health Protect is correct ( they do seem a little uncertain when pushed though )then mandatory health insurance applies to me too.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope that i am incorrect in my understanding and to be perfectly honest I’m still not 100% sure of the new ruling.

I have been here 15yr ish my non O was obtained outside the Kingdom of Thailand my extensions done Immigration.

Hi Sheryl,

Thanks for the courteous reply.  Actually at this moment in time only 6 companies can provide the Long Stay Visa mandated insurance.  I hope as I have said this is opened up to any plan that meets or exceeds the mandated amount.  

System and regulatory wise we are not able to just sell add on OPD cover for 40k, it would solve a lot of problems for people with great IPD only plans.  

We will have to see how this plays out, one hopes logic prevails.
Are you saying that international insurance is not acceptable and even people with comprehensive internstionsl policirs have to srparately purchase one of these "long stay" policies? If so then no wonder not many takers of the O-X.

The announcements re O-A specifically say that international policies will be accepted if they meet the criteria. (How Embassies and Consulates would go about determining that, is anyone's guess)

I have been here 15yr ish my non O was obtained outside the Kingdom of Thailand my extensions done Immigration.

According to the latest information from Thaivisa Health Protect then you should be exempted from mandatory health insurance.
Me, on the other hand, came here on a non imm B followed by a couple of tourists visas then, my last visa, a non imm OA which gave me permission to stay which I then remained by doing extensions.
So, in effect I am here on extension ( blah blah ) originating from an OA, which if THP are correct means I now need mandatory health insurance !!

I am in my mid 50’s and I have lived in LOS for 3 years and I initially arrived with a Non Imm OA.  I have since obtained one extension through the US Embassy Income Affidavit route.  Because I did not transfer the 800k into a my bank account or initiated the 65K Monthly transfer scheme I will be leaving in several months.  I have considered obtaining a new OA from my home state Thai Consulate and started to get estimates for Thai Government complaint health insurance.  This is what I have discovered.  

I have always had health insurance and my current policy has 1 Mil IPD but only 20,000 OPD.  My annual premium is under 20,000 Baht.

I checked with several companies(those that are listed on the MFA website) and discovered that if I keep my IPD at the bare minimum level of 400,000 and raise my OPD to the minimum level of 40,000 from 20,000 my premium in some cases doubles or triples.  

Therefore, my premiums will go up, my IPD limit goes down, my OPD limit goes up by only 20,000.  I understand this is Thailand but this does not make any sense.  

I am in my mid 50’s and I have lived in LOS for 3 years and I initially arrived with a Non Imm OA.  I have since obtained one extension through the US Embassy Income Affidavit route.  Because I did not transfer the 800k into a my bank account or initiated the 65K Monthly transfer scheme I will be leaving in several months.  I have considered obtaining a new OA from my home state Thai Consulate and started to get estimates for Thai Government complaint health insurance.  This is what I have discovered.  

I have always had health insurance and my current policy has 1 Mil IPD but only 20,000 OPD.  My annual premium is under 20,000 Baht.

I checked with several companies(those that are listed on the MFA website) and discovered that if I keep my IPD at the bare minimum level of 400,000 and raise my OPD to the minimum level of 40,000 from 20,000 my premium in some cases doubles or triples.  

Therefore, my premiums will go up, my IPD limit goes down, my OPD limit goes up by only 20,000.  I understand this is Thailand but this does not make any sense.  

This is exactly the problem !!
We are being forced into taking out health insurance that is totally wrong for our needs as well as being ridiculously overpriced.

This is exactly the problem !!
We are being forced into taking out health insurance that is totally wrong for our needs as well as being ridiculously overpriced.

Exactly.

Mandatory health insurance is fine in principal but this is so badly designed that it would both impose an undue financial burden AND leave people inadequately insured.

I have followed the various sagas of foreigners unable to pay hospital bills here in Thailand for over a decade and been directly involved in trying to help sort out a few.

Almost all entailed bills well over 400k. Usually at least 1 million.

And not a single one concerned outpatient fees.

Hi Everyone,

I work for Pacific Cross/Thai Visa Protect.

Sorry I am unable to reply to every post.  That is impossible currently, the announcement took us by surprise and was overwhelming with the amount of calls and emails that came in.  To compound matters many people thought this applied to them when in fact not.  If you have got in touch please be patient and everyone will be responded to in due course.

Firstly, a point I made earlier that some may have not seen.  We have a plan that meets the visa requirement for NON O A and NON O X.  If you are on a marriage VIsa or NON O yearly extension the mandated insurance does NOT apply to you.  I can't say that the government over time will not roll this out to all visas, I suspect they may, as we all may agree its difficult to say what is around the corner legislation wise.

Let me be very clear, we more than anyone realise what a bad initiative this is in terms of coverage.  The plans available to not provide anywhere near the same value and coverage that the former products Thai Visa Protect plans or PCHI plans can provide.

May I address the difference in premiums and coverage.  The underwriters and actuaries know that because this product is only applicable to over 50's the expected claims histories and loss ratios will be much higher than the historic products available.  Therefore they have priced accordingly (FYI my understanding is that of the 6 approved vendors we are more competitive than the competition).   That is why the coverage for the premium is less value than the historic plans that can insure from 0-75yrs as a new applicant.  It's a completely different risk profile.  Though on face value I would also question why the differences in ratings. 

We would like, more than anyone, that the government allows ANY plan, ours or not, that meets or exceeds the mandated amount to be suffice to obtain the visa.  We are not comfortable selling these designated Long Stay visa plans, not only are they terrible cover, the premiums are expensive when comparing to historic plans.  At this juncture if you need the insurance to meet the requirement we have the approved plan to facilitate that.  That is not to say this is a good plan coverage or value wise!  

On a more general note, as I have seen so much misinformation being posted, we can accept new applicants up to 75yrs, over 65's are required to complete a physical exam.  Unlike moratorium plans we fully underwrite each policy, SO BEFORE you decide to accept the offer or not the coverage terms will be in black and white on the offer letter, any exclusions or wait periods will be laid out on the offer letter.  We renew up to 99yrs of age.  As long as an applicant has truthfully and correctly declared everything on the application your policy cannot be terminated.   We are one of the very few onshore companies that can consider some pre existing conditions, we may load a premium to accommodate it, apply a wait period or flat out exclude it.  Each application is looked at on a case by case basis.

We do not impose routine inflationary increases, our base rates haven't changed since 2015.  We individually experience rate each renewal.  What does this mean?

This will appear 'salesy' to some but I am again trying to be as informative as possible. Most companies typically apply 8-15% year on year, irrespective of your claims history whether large small or none.  Some companies may increase less and some certainly more.  With Thai Visa protect and Pacific Cross plans, if you have made no claims we have discounts rising to 20%, if you have moderate claims (i.e. approx  
I feel awfully sorry for people on this visa type, and concerned about people who are not able to purchase insurance whether they are over 75 or un-insurable,   Again I hope the relevant parties can come to a proper well thought out structure and outcome.

It has nothing to do with risk profiling. It rather reflects the greed of your company by taking advantage of locked-in retirees. Westerners have a higher life expectancy than Thais. Therefore the premiums should even be lower for us than for them in the same age bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I have followed the various sagas of foreigners unable to pay hospital bills here in Thailand for over a decade and been directly involved in trying to help sort out a few.

Out of curiosity Sheryl, what was the Immigration status of these foreigners.

Tourists, Visa holders, or those on extensions of stay.

8 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Why does it make perfect sense ? unless only new arrivals can get sick or that new arrivals are more likely not to pay their bills, otherwise i can't see why you think it makes perfect sense, other than the people already living in Thailand option applies to yourself.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Exactly.

Mandatory health insurance is fine in principal but this is so badly designed that it would both impose an undue financial burden AND leave people inadequately insured.

And not a single one concerned outpatient fees.

If you can't pay why are they here <deleted>

Archived