BANGKOK
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

15 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am sure, with the proficiency of English within the Thai immigration, this should not pose any problems ! 😂 😂 😂

Most insurance policies are worded in such a way that the most proficient of Native English Speakers would find them at best ambiguous and often incomprehensible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, connda said:

Long stay expats, especially those with family, are a 'captured audience' who can be milked and whose personal wealth can be harvested.  

What a load of rubbish.

It should be mandatory "worldwide" that long stayers or tourists have some form of hospital cover, no doubt a lot will disagree with my view and that's fine.

The question is, why should governments have to foot the bill, i.e. tax payers of that country.

It should be the responsibility of every individual to cover themselves and their families, if not, make it mandatory, I have no issue with it, and if others do, well they are entitled to their opinions.

Like I said earlier, I am covered and so is my family, this is not a troll, if you cannot get insured or cannot afford it, then that is a problem, but you cannot seriously expect the country you are a guest in to cover your hospital bills if you can't get insured or afford it.

It's a cruel world, sure, but there are a lot of Thai's that can use the money/facilities allocated in the system that goes on X-pats who use up their system by not paying for the services they have used, after all, they are not tax payers or citizens, so the government is well within its rights to protect it's system for its people and if you can't accept that, then that's "up to you" as they say here. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Sorry if someone has already posted this, but what i cannot understand is if long stay expats did not pay their hospital bill then why oh why did they not inform the police ?   as normally they would have seen some I D or another. And as we all know they can track us in theory every 24 hrs, if we are not at home ; and because of bureaucratic incompetence of different gov agencies unable to leaze with each other and nobody working together , even though they make us give them reams and reams of  paper work every year still cant manage to track them down without a little hand drawn map, hospital policy should include draw us a map to your house T I C .   Now the big question arises how many expats didn't pay or is that some sort of corruption going on in the hospitals.    ?????????????????

My Father worked in fleet st, newspaper offices when he was young ,as an officeboy boy runner for reporters "There's always an angle son" he was told.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Does medicare advantage covers in Thailand? 

Extremely UNLIKELY.

Nearly ALL US Medicare policies pay ZERO when outside the country.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JWRC said:

After wading through all the speculation on here, I see quite a few have asked when this will start and as far as I can tell, no one has answered that.

If there is not a start date then the article started by webfact is misleading in as much as it gives the impression this is a done deal.

I have had a very stressful day as a result of this misleading post and now going through some of the posts it appears that the requirement is not yet in place.

Perhaps our most intelligent of visa advisors namely Ubon Joe could shed some light on this, my personal situation is that my visa extension is due at the beginning of June and I would like to be prepared,

You may actually be better off, because the detail will take time to percolate through the bureaucracy. Once you get the extension, you should be bulletproof for the ensuing year.

What about those who live in Thailand only 6-7 months a year (as I have done for last 14 years) but are now on USA Medicare which offers no coverage overseas ? I’m already paying quite a bit for Medicare plus supplement plan in USA and will turn 70 a few months after I return to Bangkok in July. My supplement plan covers insurance for the first 2 months away and I have been buying travel insurance for the remainder of my Thai stays. I plan to apply for new O-A visa in a few weeks.

18 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

I've been an in patient two times in the last three years and both times completed my treatment before paying the bill.

After a cardiac arrest I was in the ICU a couple of days and it was only after 3 days that they politely asked my wife to make a first payment. The rest I paid when I was discharged some days later.

After wading through all the speculation on here, I see quite a few have asked when this will start and as far as I can tell, no one has answered that.
If there is not a start date then the article started by webfact is misleading in as much as it gives the impression this is a done deal.

I have had a very stressful day as a result of this misleading post and now going through some of the posts it appears that the requirement is not yet in place.

Perhaps our most intelligent of visa advisors namely Ubon Joe could shed some light on this, my personal situation is that my visa extension is due at the beginning of June and I would like to be prepared,
Nobody knows. You can't get blood out of a stone.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jesimps said:
  33 minutes ago, Myome said:

Has anyone seen anything official about this? Wasn't the news clip from a health official, not immigration?

He has said that Cabinet has already approved it .Does the health service have a cabinet ??

Edited by brianthainess

It says only O-A VISAs, nothing mentioned about extensions.
Why are you worrying about nothing?
Renewals mentioned. Translation issues. Don't get overconfident.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nongsung said:

After a cardiac arrest I was in the ICU a couple of days and it was only after 3 days that they politely asked my wife to make a first payment. The rest I paid when I was discharged some days later.

I had to give 10,000 up front, unused fund were returned.