BANGKOK
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Deerculler said:

Most of us are seniors who have retired here.
Getting insurance cover for pre-existing medical conditions is next to impossible.
Has anyone got a sensible answer please?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No sensible answers to be found. From a different source:

IS IT NECESSARY?

YES! As per a note released by the Thai Government on 14 May 2019, insurance is required to anyone living in the Kingdom above the age of 50. The insurance policy must offer up to Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to Bt400,000 for inpatient treatment.

Source Expat Magazine Thailand 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mav000 said:

No.  Medicare does not work anywhere outside of U.S.  I suggest looking into long term travel insurance.  I have a policy, One Million U.S. dollars, premium $3,200 per year, $1,000 deductible.  Can pay monthly or up to 1 year.  Can go to any private hospital within Thailand.  Coverage is for Thailand only.  I do have medicare for U.S. coverage.

All of the travel insurance I've seen excludes pre-exisiting conditions. Did I miss something along the way?

23 minutes ago, pbonline said:

as usual they didn´t think when they decided this.

40.000 in outpatient !!!......

Anyone found an 400/40k insurance?

Don´t think so...

Page 1, Post 11... https://longstay.tgia.org/

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

No sensible answers to be found. Froma different source:

IS IT NECESSARY?

YES! As per a note released by the Thai Government on 14 May 2019, insurance is required to anyone living in the Kingdom above the age of 50. The insurance policy must offer up to Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to Bt400,000 for inpatient treatment.

Source Expat Magazine Thailand    

I'll have to ask the wife what the coverage is on her medical insurance as a medical faculty member for a Major Bangkok Government Hospital (I am on her plan), I turn 50 this year, hopefully this won't be an issue come next extension based on marriage. Though usually I go to Yanhee International and pay out of pocket, I prefer the quick service and being treated like numero uno.

32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:
1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Anyone got copy of a response from Ubon Joe yet?

An hour ago, https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1100492-medical-insurance/?tab=comments#comment-14139445

Despite Ubon Joe's comments, it's pretty obvious it will become mandatory for all of us eventually.

Bottom line is, you can stay if you have money...... Or put another way..... No money no honey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Melbun said:

Chuckle - so you want to have a policy that carte blanche accepts all the illness accumulated over a lifetime ?? That is really funny. Hmmm bet you still believe in the fairy god mother.

Uhh.. what's so funny about that?

That's exactly what U.S. Medicare does

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Why should they provide a huge burden and major money losing service for old sick people who are not even from their country??

For who and for what?

Wow. Very compassionate. These people may have lived and contributed to Thai society and economy for many years. Shoot them l suspect would be your preference.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

Uhh.. what's so funny about that?

That's exactly what U.S. Medicare does

Actually ALL US medical insurance now accepts pre existing conditions Medicare or not, so I'm not sure what that guy was talking about

1 minute ago, ryane66 said:

Wow. Very compassionate. These people may have lived and contributed to Thai society and economy for many years. Shoot them l suspect would be your preference.

I would think Thailand would just prefer they get shipped back to their home countries, where their own countrymen can pay for their care. I assume that is the plan here, either you find a way to pay for your own care, or you go home and your own government deals with you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, malibukid said:

the American government should step up to the plate and extend Medicare coverage to it's citizens abroad.  but as usual they will just throw us under the bus.  thanks to the Republicans. 

Bit unfair to blame the Republicans

Anyone that thinks that millionaire doctors, highly compensated hospital, insurance company, and drug company executives and employees, and the labor unions that represent nurses and other hospital employees will EVER let that happen is sadly mistaken.

One day the U.S. healthcare industry will get its come-uppance, just as did the U.S. auto industry but, unfortunately, it will likely result in the financial ruin of most Americans. I'm disappointed that I probably won't be around to see it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

contacted Hua Hin IO an hour ago for clarification, they have no information about this at all..

NO surprise....