BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

1 hour ago, ChiangmaiRob said:

I'm sure proof of adequate cash in the bank will suffice! 😁😉

Bloomin' hope so.

The insurance companies will be celebrating for years to come. High premiums, virtually ZERO payouts. Invest in the insurance companies involved now. 

7 hours ago, connda said:

Interesting comment from the wife just now.

"If you die, insurance pay me mai?"  Make of that what you wish.

Say 'no' and let us know her face expression. 

Another proposed solution that proves without a doubt that the Thais do not have the innate ability to solve problems...to solve a problem...one problem...any problem. Never have, never gonna. Today it's health insurance for farangs, last week it was Thai Airways, Pollution, Fires burning up north. Immigration rules. Poverty. Income inequality. Corruption. Corruption. Corrupt people. Education. Declining IQs of Thai children. Traffic deaths. Thai males. Vocational school gang rivalries. Prisons not suitable for humans. Dubai et al.

From what I am reading here one group need to get Insurance while another group that is doing an extension of stay does not need it.  I think anyone saying they don't need to purchase insurance is a bunch of crap.  I don't care who the hell is telling you this.  It is a bunch of BS and some people here are buying it because it means they don't have to pay.  Wake up it does affect you and me.  We all have to have the insurance.  Stop playing word games here.  

My AU credit card provides complimentary travel insurance for my 11 month yearly Thai “holiday”. I’ll just flash the Imm Office my credit card. Too easy. 

3 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Despite Ubon Joe's comments, it's pretty obvious it will become mandatory for all of us eventually.

Bottom line is, you can stay if you have money...... Or put another way..... No money no honey.

"Bottom line is, you can stay if you have money.....".

Just out of curiosity why do you think this isn't a prudent strategy for any country to follow? Why would you want folks in your country that will drain its resources?

Health insurance purchased by folks living in another country should be mandatory. No country should be saddled with health expenses for people who choose to live without it. 

35 minutes ago, Nemises said:

My AU credit card provides complimentary travel insurance for my 11 month yearly Thai “holiday”. I’ll just flash the Imm Office my credit card. Too easy. 

i'm sure that will work,  just fine. :cheesy:

Or is your credit card A4 size, :giggle:

7 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

Please show me proof where "Thai citizens who enter the United States can get no cost medical coverage easily". 

Walk into any US emergency room and present yourself and get medical  care= simply ignore the bill like so many do and return to your country of origin. I do not fault anyone who does it-  Insurance charges; medical care and life saving drugs are so expensive -the average person cannot afford either the cost or the insurance.

Healthcare is a human right- if you do not accept this then there is not much to discuss.  In the US  Medicare for all is what will eventually happen and that will cover everyone in the US- citizens and non citizens.Hopefully, this coverage will also be extended to the 10 million Americans overseas and why not- we have already paid into it- in my case for 50 years.

Thailand's  for profit medical industry is following a failed system- the US medical system- In addition, even the Thai Government has gone after Thai For Profit Hospitals for massive overcharging.

I and my family have used Thai hospitals both Government and Non Government for decades- always paid in cash or used insurance.  The problem with the Thai industry is that Thailand has a large population that can not afford insurance or the cost of medical care- that is what the 30 Baht scheme is for- not foreigners.  However, Thailand does not fund this program  properly. That is the real reason Thailand's Ministry of health  has problems and it is not from expats.

Bottom line- the coverage available for older expats for medical insurance is way over priced for what one gets and is not adequate for real coverage.  A better plan is to allow all expats to buy into the Thai Social Security system- a reasonable premium- which then allows full usage of Thai Government Hospitals and would ease the deficit in their funding/

Instead- most of us over 70 will end up buying worthless medical insurance for around 100,000 Baht per year  so our annual extension will cost 100K plus the 1900 Baht fee. 

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Not really, have worldwide health insurance with my Employer (US Bank) in Singapore plus have an annual travel insurance policy (Only visit Thailand for a week or so at a time, though do have a Non-O visa here so am following this thread in case it affects my extension due mid-July)

Edit to add... The reason I have the Non-O is because I visit 1-2 times per month (approx 20 times a year) & the Visa Runners screwed up doing that on Visa Exemptions... Now the Hospital Bill dodgers look like they're going to screw it up even more.... IF I ever do decide not to live in Thailand (& I have a long term rental on a Condo here so don't consider myself a tourist, in fact I consider myself as somebody who lives in Bangkok but works in Singapore), it won't be because of the Thais or the Thai government, it will be because of the guys taking the psis & forcing them to clamp down.

So exactly how many Hospital Bill dodgers are there (westerners only please) and what is the annual cost? Source required naturally.

I keep asking but all the govt apologists who know all about it seem unable to respond. Now you seem made of the right stuff, I like the cut of your jib etc, surely you can answer a simple question.

34,000 thb for first shot in Rabies course of injections at Bangkok Hospital Rayong , gonna be expensive insurance young or old. 

4 hours ago, ocddave said:

I would think Thailand would just prefer they get shipped back to their home countries, where their own countrymen can pay for their care. I assume that is the plan here, either you find a way to pay for your own care, or you go home and your own government deals with you.

And who says that this is not what is already happening. I  am not aware of vast swathes of long stayers throwing themselves on the mercy of government hospitals.

If you know differently then please quote the figures.

17 minutes ago, fisherd3 said:

34,000 thb for first shot in Rabies course of injections at Bangkok Hospital Rayong , gonna be expensive insurance young or old. 

Something wrong about that bill.

My first day of shots were 3,000 baht, then the subsequent 3 days of shots 256 baht each day