webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

2 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

bye bye Thailand I guess

Will depend from one individual to another, according to :

What he is ready to undergo,

what he is able to undergo. 

8 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

Yes it is expensive. I pay 730USD per month with up to 7000USD maximum out of pocket. I'm 63. This is through CoveredCA which is California's version of Obamacare.

My policy says they will cover me outside of the USA for emergency situations to save my life but nothing more. I'm not sure how they decide this unless it is in the codes the hospital exchanges with Blue Shield. By the way, Blue Shield already has payment structures set up with hospitals all over the globe so having coverage here is not a matter of logistics.

Have you not looked for better rates with another company? In two years you'd have nearly free coverage via Medicare if you returned home. Might be worth considering as the "savings" you have by living in Thailand are being eaten by the insurance costs.

34,000 thb for first shot in Rabies course of injections at Bangkok Hospital Rayong , gonna be expensive insurance young or old. 

Really ??
I paid 2,000 baht for the first shot ( actually 2 shots , 1 in each arm, rabies and tetanus) wound cleaning, medication etc and around 1000 baht for further shots.

Total 6,080 baht at Rajthanee Hospital ( Public ) Ayutthaya all great attention and no after effects .

Woof woof !!

52 minutes ago, mike787 said:

...just wait for it...It will...takes a little more time.  This is the first step.  Once the kingdom of Thailand feels the power, ALL visas will be included....

Yes, it may pan out to all visa/extension.

Dont forget a couple of months ago there were threads saying "all longstay need 800/400k in the bank", turned out it wasn't all, it didn't include married, education etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Really ??
I paid 2,000 baht for the first shot ( actually 2 shots , 1 in each arm, rabies and tetanus) wound cleaning, medication etc and around 1000 baht for further shots.

Total 6,080 baht at Rajthanee Hospital ( Public ) Ayutthaya all great attention and no after effects .

Woof woof !!

I paid around 500 Baht for 3 injections at the Pattaya City hospital on Soi Buakhoa . I was up country in Buriram when it was time for my final injection so I went to the government hospital and was charged a whopping 50 baht. Thats only a ten fold difference.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, riclag said:

no

Medicare does not, but Medicare Advantage plans sometimes will cover emergency care and in some cases non-emergency (mine covers non-emergency care up to $5000 per year worldwide) but that may not apply to all - and a problem is they also require your residency to be in a specific location, sometimes restricted to a few counties in a state. That is one reason this past year I moved back to the U.S. but spent half my time there, half here. I'm good in Thailand till next March, though if I chose.

3 minutes ago, granuaile said:

Medicare does not, but Medicare Advantage plans sometimes will cover emergency care and in some cases non-emergency (mine covers non-emergency care up to $5000 per year worldwide) but that may not apply to all - and a problem is they also require your residency to be in a specific location, sometimes restricted to a few counties in a state. That is one reason this past year I moved back to the U.S. but spent half my time there, half here. I'm good in Thailand till next March, though if I chose.

Well my insurance in USA covers me out of country up to a curtain number of days then will not cover. Got sick once on arrival and my insurance covered it. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Have you not looked for better rates with another company? In two years you'd have nearly free coverage via Medicare if you returned home. Might be worth considering as the "savings" you have by living in Thailand are being eaten by the insurance costs.

Rates between companies don't vary much on the exchanges. 50 USD a month probably. I'm 63 ...not much I can do until I'm 65 unless I want to be uninsured. At least this way I have some sort of coverage if I get hit by a car or have a heart attack.

Edited by jmd8800

55 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Is there any evidence of immigration acting as debt collectors, I’m not aware of it?

Not as debt collectors but immigration can stop you leaving if wanted by police, outstanding debt etc.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm on an Extension of Stay based on marriage, which is due for renewal in July.

My stepson is an officer serving in the Thai military. Am I correct in thinking his mother can obtain free hospital care based on his occupation?

More importantly for me, would I qualify for free hospital care if I legally adopted my stepson, whose Thai father died a few years ago ?

Edited by joebrown
Add sentence.

38 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm...... bye bye Thailand I guess 

Yes probably the final straw for many people.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

There isn't one Thai gov't official that gives a damn about making it easy for expats to live in Thailand.

Read the news! 66 Generals appointed 

Best to have a backup plan as the next coalition gov't is going to wreak havoc on the economy and the country.

A  back up plan, is a must have for expats in a country ,

where we are officially referred to as aliens .

In summary , if we want to stay,  we have to pay insurance fees.

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1