BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats how I understand it , new OA is pretty clear but it will probably come down to what they mean by renew/renewal, I take it as permission to stay based on the OA, others see it as meaning all extensions and all visa's. 

It makes zero sense to require it for one year for the initial application, and then to say that you don't need it after that. Commons sense applies I think.

16 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

“The Devil is always in the details”.

I see two issues with the program:

1.  Hypothetically speaking a 50+ person goes to a Thai Embassy/Consulate to apply for the Non Imm O-A in the future.  This person is fully qualified and is told he must purchase Health Insurance.  Therefore, if he purchases Health Insurance then the application is guaranteed to be approved?  I doubt any Embassy/Consulate can much such an assurance.  

2. Hypothetically speaking the same person applies for the Non Imm O-A but does not intend to depart for Thailand for several months.  Does this mean this person must also purchase Thai Health Insurance even though he will not be in the country for months.  

I have checked the Los Angeles Thai Consulate website and so far no mention of this new law.  I will probably go to the same Consulate to apply for another Non Imm O-A sometime next year and I will see if any new requirements are implemented.  

Another interesting point would be, and this would depend on the laws of the country you usually reside in, i.e. what would you take your insurance out as, e.g. a resident (at the time) or a non-resident (after 6 months), technically speaking when you take out insurance they would ask, are you a resident or a non-resident and could put you in trouble when making a claim, i.e. assuming you put yourself down as a non-resident (which doesn't take place until after 183 days out of the country), or a resident, however you are no longer a resident when out of the country for 183 days (technically speaking), if you see my point ?

19 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

It makes zero sense to require it for one year for the initial application, and then to say that you don't need it after that. Commons sense applies I think.

So if we have been here many years ,but cannot get medical insurance ,will we be told to leave ?

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

So if we have been here many years ,but cannot get medical insurance ,will we be told to leave ?

Unfortunately that appears to be what they are saying - if you don't have insurance for your extension then you won't get that extension and then be in the country illegally. Draconian. But I think it is all speculation at the moment until we know exactly what they mean.

1 minute ago, Tuvoc said:

Unfortunately that appears to be what they are saying - if you don't have insurance for your extension then you won't get that extension and then be in the country illegally. Draconian. But I think it is all speculation at the moment until we know exactly what they mean.

So thats my wife of 20 years ,gone my home gone ,everything gone ,just dozens maybe hundreds of us turning up in the UK .

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

And If We Are,That'll leave an awful LOT Of Farang / Thai Marriages Up Sh*t Creek without a Paddle "

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

So thats my wife of 20 years ,gone my home gone ,everything gone ,just dozens maybe hundreds of us turning up in the UK .

Yep, My Thoughts Entirely !!! BTW,We've been Married for 26 Years,3 Months & 12 Days.....NOT that I'm Counting Mind !!

Just now, Nong Khai Man said:

Yep, My Thoughts Entirely !!! BTW,We've been Married for 26 Years,3 Months & 12 Days.....NOT that I'm Counting Mind !!

In most countries, one doesn't get that long for murder.

1 minute ago, Nong Khai Man said:

And If We Are,That'll leave an awful LOT Of Farang / Thai Marriages Up Sh*t Creek without a Paddle "

Yes, very sad. But if you have heaps of money, there will be some company able to offer coverage. Decision time for many. Maybe an extra job to cover the costs - there must be some jobs available to older gents resident in Thailand. BUT - does that also contravene the visa under which people are there ?? Wow complex.

1 hour ago, hashmodha said:

I think we all start a petition ......fast to reverse this....I am not able to....can anyone put it up on change.org.....and we all sign...

good idea but where will it get you?? and any others?......

1 minute ago, Melbun said:

Yes, very sad. But if you have heaps of money, there will be some company able to offer coverage. Decision time for many. Maybe an extra job to cover the costs - there must be some jobs available to older gents resident in Thailand. BUT - does that also contravene the visa under which people are there ?? Wow complex.

Just an idea. Maybe once a year gents can fly home , do some work to finance the yearly insurance premium. Would that work ??

On 5/14/2019 at 6:32 AM, alfalfa19 said:

does medicare parts a and b work in thailand, does anyone know?

No. Valid only in the USA, and does not include the rest of North America (Canada and Mexico).

16 hours ago, madmen said:

looking at their link for Bangkok insurance its very reasonable . Between 50 and 60 years its approx 50k. Whats wrong with that.

its staggering the amount of expats living here with NO insurance!!  if your 70 then go home for gods sakes where you can be taken care of in an emergency..which is just around the corner , not everyone dies in their sleep

http:/ /www.bangkokinsurance.com/long-stay-visa/

Your posting shows little understanding of or empathy with the situation of many long-term, elderly expats like myself, who have raised families with a Thai national in the expectation of spending the rest of our lives here.

"Go home, for god's sake" is advice I, for one, am unwilling to take - any more than I relish being blackmailed into buying outrageously expensive insurance which precludes treatment for existing conditions most likely to kill me off!

Like many of my sensible and responsible contemporaries, I have set aside part of my modest savings to take care of my medical needs. The rest I was planning to leave to my wife, who has taken good care of me - and our family of five children - for 17 years and will doubtless continue to do so in my dotage.

I have no wish to resettle in my homeland (the UK) for any reason - and certainly not on the off chance of receiving better medical treatment than here. Apart from any other consideration, this would mean saying goodbye to the people I love most and the place I call home. 

Hopefully, you now understand why your "go home" advice is, for large numbers of us, as impractical as it is arrogant.

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In most countries, one doesn't get that long for murder.

I've TOLD Her that MANY Times Mate.....

50 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats how I understand it , new OA is pretty clear but it will probably come down to what they mean by renew/renewal, I take it as permission to stay based on the OA, others see it as meaning all extensions and all visa's. 

You can translate this page online and in my opinion it translates well enough to answer questions people are raising.

http://hss.moph.go.th/show_topic.php?id=2808&fbclid=IwAR1larNfJw6CsnF-5NBqjmXZzJu-guMb4BRNgwjoDt4m79ZA8PLNvV5aIJM