BANGKOK 19 June 2019 00:22
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

So which is it? O-A visas only or also extension of O and O-A?

Its hard to understand the thinking ,the response to the question "what about people who cant get insurance?" More than likely have more money deposited to cover it ,well they just told us we cant use 400k of our own money any longer,thought that would have been for "emergencies" crazy Thailand

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, ivor bigun said:

Its hard to understand the thinking ,the response to the question "what about people who cant get insurance?" More than likely have more money deposited to cover it ,well they just told us we cany use 400k of our own money any longer,thought that would have been for "emergancies" crazy Thailand

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, true, but that is only for the bank method. Income method people don't even need a local bank account if they can still get an embassy letter. 

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Its not so much skipping and not paying, its also just the extra burden on the public system. Ex-pats without insurance (even when they pay) tend to use the cheaper public hospitals that are already stretched, have lots of patients and waiting lists etc.

Make ex-pats get insurance and it moves them into private hospitals freeing up the public system.

I see you never have experience for scammers privates hospitals, good Luke

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

This latest hurdle that they have found for us to jump over needs to be questioned.  Someone with the ability needs to organise another petition explaining to the government that many of us long term visa holders cannot get insurance because of our age. Asking them what is the reason for the 800.000 bht  required in the visa application. Explaining the incompassionate cruelty, that many will have to leave and desert their Thai families. This petition should be only open to those concerned and certainly not the likes of teenage tourists or in fact anyone who is not a retirement visa holder. Unless they are going to apply for one.

And you seriously think they are interested in having explanations from foreigners or foreigners telling them how to do their job?

Sorry.

On 5/14/2019 at 6:53 AM, james.d said:

I have my 1 yr Thai wife visa due in June from sawañakhet but could not see a date this new law comes into play.

Am I missing something?

Yes,when?

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

After my friend has made several phone calls to immigration he has been told it will only apply to O-X visa long stay 10 yr visa,and was told not to read the newspapers.

It's been a requirement for OX visas for a while.  Making it also apply for OA visas is what has been confirmed by Cabinet, but it's not yet law.  A Police Order will be issued.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you think your at the bottom you must be 🙂

Mix it up with low-lifes, not me, top surgeon at a govt hospital, nope, retired with two past degrees and I love the bars, especially the ones with those sweet girls.

I didn't say they were disgusting people, you did !

Yes I do think that people who do runners from hospitals leaving bills unpaid are disgusting. (Or doing runners leaving unpaid bills anywhere).

How many have you actually known? I have never known any. I do not think you have either, I think you just invented it to bolster your story.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Everyone has an NHS Number Mate,If You had a Doctor in The U.K Then YOU Certainly DID Have one !!

I don't remember mine but it's on any NHS correspondence you might have. I do remember by heart my earlier one which was my wartime ration card number! Proof that I'm uninsurable as far as insurance companies are concerned.. 

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

Well said Krataiboy.  This is exactly what is facing so many of us. In my last post i am asking for someone with the ability to post a petition for Thai immigration.

Good idea. We should also start lobbying our respective governments to start batting on behalf of us "uninsurables". The idea of having lump sum in the bank in lieu of insurance cover, floated by the Thai immigration spokesman, is obviously worth pursuing.

2 hours ago, hml367 said:

The translation of the attachment IMHO only adds to the confusion. It's about as clear as mud whether this is a recommendation, up for discussion by the powers that be, about to be legislated into Immigration law, etc. No time frame for implementation.