BANGKOK
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

On 5/14/2019 at 6:53 AM, james.d said:

I have my 1 yr Thai wife visa due in June from sawañakhet but could not see a date this new law comes into play.

Am I missing something?

Yes,when?

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

After my friend has made several phone calls to immigration he has been told it will only apply to O-X visa long stay 10 yr visa,and was told not to read the newspapers.

It's been a requirement for OX visas for a while.  Making it also apply for OA visas is what has been confirmed by Cabinet, but it's not yet law.  A Police Order will be issued.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you think your at the bottom you must be 🙂

Mix it up with low-lifes, not me, top surgeon at a govt hospital, nope, retired with two past degrees and I love the bars, especially the ones with those sweet girls.

I didn't say they were disgusting people, you did !

Yes I do think that people who do runners from hospitals leaving bills unpaid are disgusting. (Or doing runners leaving unpaid bills anywhere).

How many have you actually known? I have never known any. I do not think you have either, I think you just invented it to bolster your story.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Everyone has an NHS Number Mate,If You had a Doctor in The U.K Then YOU Certainly DID Have one !!

I don't remember mine but it's on any NHS correspondence you might have. I do remember by heart my earlier one which was my wartime ration card number! Proof that I'm uninsurable as far as insurance companies are concerned.. 

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

Well said Krataiboy.  This is exactly what is facing so many of us. In my last post i am asking for someone with the ability to post a petition for Thai immigration.

Good idea. We should also start lobbying our respective governments to start batting on behalf of us "uninsurables". The idea of having lump sum in the bank in lieu of insurance cover, floated by the Thai immigration spokesman, is obviously worth pursuing.

2 hours ago, hml367 said:

The translation of the attachment IMHO only adds to the confusion. It's about as clear as mud whether this is a recommendation, up for discussion by the powers that be, about to be legislated into Immigration law, etc. No time frame for implementation.

53 minutes ago, rott said:

Yes I do think that people who do runners from hospitals leaving bills unpaid are disgusting. (Or doing runners leaving unpaid bills anywhere).

How many have you actually known? I have never known any. I do not think you have either, I think you just invented it to bolster your story.

We agree on something.

Actually I correct myself, they didn't actually do runners, they used the public system and paid for it, I suppose that's ok as it's paying the account for services rendered, e.g. same price as Thai's.

I don't bolster stories, although in this instance made a mistake and correct myself here and now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aqua4 said:

I think it is a good idea as I am sure the Embassies in Bangkok are getting tried about being called about a foreigner who has no health coverage. I have seen this many times before where many expats dont even so much as have accident insurance. Yes you think it will not happen to you until is does. Private health care in Thailand can be pretty stiff and there should have been a rule years ago about health insurance as well as death coverage to ensure that there is money to send you body back home if that is what you want. The annual premiums above is pretty standard in Thailand but they usually offer combination policies such as coverage for cancer and other illnesses, accidents as well as death. 

What insurance company do you work for?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2019 at 4:07 AM, gunderhill said:

So how many are going to be leaving now, what exactly s a NON O -A I have a visa which just states NON O married to a  Thai (no other letters  after it) been on it for 6  years.

Perhaps someone can clarify if  it  will  apply to me?

I may be wrong, but I think it only applies to the retirement visa.

17 hours ago, aqua4 said:

You dont get printed for your extension?

No. Only recent photos are required (I'm on 2 year extensions, based on my WP, for the last 14 years).

It is interesting as different to other places many things rumored to happen come true.

Now we have mandatory insurance for longstay (O-A) visa. The only rational concept would be for retirees to be to be enrolled in the national scheme at a higher premium, but that won't happen. The Thai insurance policies mooted are rediculous. No way to tell how individual offices will handle this, or deal with hundreds of different policies from dozens of countries if using overseas policy? What if they ask for explanation of benefits in the Thai language with  Certificate of Cover signed within 24 hours? 

This new policy will cause confusion and is impacting my retirement plans, and of course opens up more possibilities for "agents" and their fees, or force more to the elite card. If one has  money you will be able to stay just like everywhere else.

This is bad though regarding Thai retirement ideas the "last nail in the coffin" for many.

• Like 1

perhaps now the 12 month 400k baht minimum deposit for extension of stay makes sense

I posted very early in this thread that this announcement only applied to O-A visa, turns out I was right and the hysteria shown here and several other threads was just that - hysteria 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kickstart said:

How about all those who like to post "My wife is a civil servant, and under the Thai social security system I will get free treatment ", they could well have been chocking on they cornflakes this morning reading this. they now might have to pay for their own health insurance.

If they are covered by the Thai Health System, I doubt they will have to obtain and pay for health insurance.