BANGKOK 21 July 2019 16:14
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

--Did they talk about the difference and distinction between O-A visas vs. retirement extensions, and did they mean to only apply the insurance rule against O-A visas, or did they really mean to apply it to all "retiree" visa holders here?  Anyone's guess at this point.

Unless you can buy the insurance in our home countries I think the answer is obvious. 

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Unless you can buy the insurance in our home countries I think the answer is obvious. 

I don't understand your comment at all. The announcement yesterday did actually say that they would accept either Thai-issued policies or those from abroad, as long as they had the required minimum 400K/40K coverage...

That's a distinct difference from the O-X visa health insurance requirement, where only policies issued by the half dozen or so Thai insurers on the government's Long Stay website will be accepted.

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't understand your comment at all. The announcement yesterday did actually say that they would accept either Thai-issued policies or those from abroad, as long as they had the required minimum 400K/40K coverage...

That's a distinct difference from the O-X visa health insurance requirement, where only policies issued by the half dozen or so Thai insurers on the government's Long Stay website will be accepted.

Because everyone has it wrong.  The insurance is for retirement extensions that's why they listed Thai insurance companies.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have a travel insurance. Its covering the required amounts. Similar to a previous poster with an Australian credit card. I have just done my first extension about a week ago in Thailand. I guess I can wait and see once the dust settles what is required for which type of visa or extension. I usually stay in Thailand for a max of 6 months then back to Oz for a couple of months and repeat.

Is there anyone who has an idea of the difference of a travel vs health insurance?

I also would think that when you apply for a new O-A visa in your home country you will need the insurance as the required B800k only need to be in your bank account on the day and not stay as required for an extension.

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

We agree on something.

Actually I correct myself, they didn't actually do runners, they used the public system and paid for it, I suppose that's ok as it's paying the account for services rendered, e.g. same price as Thai's.

I don't bolster stories, although in this instance made a mistake and correct myself here and now.

Suppose it is? And it wouldn’t be Thai price!

I am not sure why anyone would expect to get free medical care paid for by the Thai government or by Thai citizens. If I didn't have my own insurance I would feel like a parasite, taking advantage of others. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, eagleo said:

Is there anyone who has an idea of the difference of a travel vs health insurance?

Travel insurance is just for emergencies generally.

If you have a heart attack or are hurt in an accident  - OK. But if you get diagnosed with cancer say and are given a couple of years to live, travel insurance won't pay for your treatment unless you are incapacitated. If you are able-bodied and fit to travel, they would expect you to travel back to the country where you bought the policy for free treatment there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, macwr1958 said:

I am not sure why anyone would expect to get free medical care paid for by the Thai government or by Thai citizens. If I didn't have my own insurance I would feel like a parasite, taking advantage of others. 

Why not get free medical care in Thailand.....The media is constantly repeating how hospitals in Thailand are passing out free medical care like hotcakes to deadbeat farangs... Need a new hart or liver?...After surgery just tell them you have no money and would they please pay for your surgery with some of that free farang medical care..... 

On 5/13/2019 at 9:55 PM, webfact said:

The insurance policy must offer up to Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to Bt400,000 for inpatient treatment. 

Seems a trivial amount, could not one selfinsure? by demonstrating they had the equivalent of many times Bt400,000?

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Seems a trivial amount, could not one selfinsure? by demonstrating they had the equivalent of many times Bt400,000?

If you could, they would have said you could

On 5/14/2019 at 9:29 AM, Jen65 said:

I am with Pacific Cross and a hefty 48,000 baht premium for a 68 year old !!  ( and I have no health problems - pronounced physically fit at my annual medical )   .  Only problem is the premium goes UP once you reach 70 so heaven knows what it will be and after 75 they don't appear to want to insure you as with most .  Health /Medical insurers must be rubbing their hands with glee at the news - can up their charges , rake in huge new income and likely without any government control !    Why can't the government hospitals offer a plan for expat / long stay residents based on an initial/annual medical and give a listing of medical/operation costs and offer a health insurance policy (possibly with suggested bank deposit to cover expected/unexpected medical costs depending on the individual , age and current health) .  The 800,000 in the bank should be made mandatory for all ( after all it is not that much ) and that form the basis of medical cost coverage .   After all what else is it for ?       

It will be 140,000 baht odd for OPD + IPD without no claim bonus. And believe me, that's a very good deal. If you get prostate cancer, for example, as I did last year, then just the initial IPD treatment is about 400,000 baht, and the cheapest therapy you can get put on will be 160,000 baht a year (hormone therapy). 

Pacific Cross cover is excellent for the money, and the Bangkok office is very good in dealing with claims.

Just now, sprq said:

It will be 140,000 baht odd for OPD + IPD without no claim bonus. And believe me, that's a very good deal. If you get prostate cancer, for example, as I did last year, then just the initial IPD treatment is about 400,000 baht, and the cheapest therapy you can get put on will be 160,000 baht a year (hormone therapy). 

Pacific Cross cover is excellent for the money, and the Bangkok office is very good in dealing with claims.

that is, from 71 to 75 years old, annual premium.