BANGKOK 16 June 2019 15:33
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't understand your comment at all. The announcement yesterday did actually say that they would accept either Thai-issued policies or those from abroad, as long as they had the required minimum 400K/40K coverage...

That's a distinct difference from the O-X visa health insurance requirement, where only policies issued by the half dozen or so Thai insurers on the government's Long Stay website will be accepted.

they actually said the equivalent of "may be considered" rather than "would accept". 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, fletchsmile said:

they actually said the equivalent of "may be considered" rather than "would accept". 

From the OP article in this thread....

Foreigners can buy valid health insurance from longstay.tgia.org or if they wish to use health insurance that they bought overseas, they must ensure that the coverage amount is no less than what is required by the rule.

And the subsequent article talking about July being the implementation date had the following:

Meanwhile, the Public Health Ministry has suggested that visa applicants purchase health insurance from one of the companies listed on www.longstay.tgia.org. The ministry has also told relevant agencies to plan how health insurance policies bought overseas will be verified. 

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Yes those are true. Bearing in mind though: That's all in English, and just a quote of somebody speaking in a newspaper interview. So a couple of steps even further away from being anything official.

The most official text I've seen so far was in Thai from the Ministry of Health on their website, which said (translated) "may be considered"

plus even the full quote in OP article also said they were going to discuss with authorities how to check it. If someone anywhere in the chain decides they can't reasonably check it, or it fails the check for whatever reason (eg immigration officer throwing in their 2 cents interpretation) that will also be an issue.

So another maybe to add to the list. I wouldn't like to count my chickens just yet though, and wouldn't rush into buying anything based on all this confusion 😉

Foreigners can buy valid health insurance from longstay.tgia.org or if they wish to use health insurance that they bought overseas, they must ensure that the coverage amount is no less than what is required by the rule. “We are going to discuss with relevant authorities on to how to check the validity of health insurance bought from overseas,” Nattawuth said. 

the cynic in me also sees the following scenario: yes you can buy it; yes you wish to use it; yes you must ensure coverage is at least as high; but no Immigration don't want to accept it 🤣

5 minutes ago, fletchsmile said:

the cynic in me also sees the following scenario: yes you can buy it; yes you wish to use it; yes you must ensure coverage is at least as high; but no Immigration don't want to accept it 🤣

It's probably not wise to assume anything until the actual rules and policies are issued.... as opposed to the conceptual approval from Cabinet.

For right now, we can only go on what we have seen and read....

• Like 2

On 5/14/2019 at 4:05 AM, Thaiwrath said:

I am sure, with the proficiency of English within the Thai immigration, this should not pose any problems ! 😂 😂 😂

If they can't check the validity of pension funds. How are they going to check the validity of health insurance? Confirming my pensions is a whole lot easier than checking the validity of a health insurance plane. My pension paperwork is only two pages. Or one if you print front and back. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

But you cannot spend the 400k ,if you do you lose your visa,is that not right?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes that seems to be the rule right now....Which if the intent is self insured savings then I guess it is valid

Then if used for medical emergency perhaps it would be allowed if 400k replenished after & visa stays intact?

Or is it just a type of guarantee for unpaid hospital bills?

Once again with Imm who knows...they make rules that even the various immigration offices all interpret

as they see fit.

Edited by mania

On 5/15/2019 at 1:08 PM, Jingthing said:

So which is it? O-A visas only or also extension of O and O-A?

First 15 seconds this guy mentions that extensions of stay are included?

55 minutes ago, essexman said:

First 15 seconds this guy mentions that extensions of stay are included?

He does and unless he knows something we don't then he's wrong.

The press release only mentions in particular the O-A Visa, and 'long stay' Visas.

The O-A Visa as with a couple of other Visa types are commonly referred to as 'long stay' Visas.

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

I can't speak for anyone else who claims to obtain Retirement or Marriage 'Visas' from their Immigration office, but mine doesn't issue 'Visas'. Mine will only grant me 'temporary permission to stay for 1 year'.

It's a permit, not a Visa and it's not a 'long stay', so as far as I'm concerned it doesn't affect me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A cynic might say that Fabulous 103 have an interest in causing alarm among the Pattaya expat community as it drives up their listening figures! Fake news is rife all over the media.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't think that is limited to Bab 103.

• Haha 1

I don't think that is limited to Bab 103.
Think you can take it that extensions of stay..marriage/retirement will be included in the new rule re h/care.
It kicks in come 1st July.
Sad but true folks

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Think you can take it that extensions of stay..marriage/retirement will be included in the new rule re h/care.
It kicks in come 1st July.
Sad but true folks

Source!

Source!
My business..I am not a gossip monger..a friend if mine told me 15 months ago that planning had started between various Govt agencys re h/care..expats.
He also told me bout Sept of last year re changes to marriage/retirement extensions with regard to money in a Thai bank etc.
Your choice to believe me or not.
I do not talk b/s.

• Thanks 1