BANGKOK 17 June 2019 19:42
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

Does it only apply to new applicants for the O-A retirement who are applying from there own countries or those who are now on O-A extensions in Thailand too?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
It only applies to people applying for long-stay OA or OX visas, which can only be applied for in the applicant's home country.

Despite the scaremongering, it does not apply to Extensions of Stay based on retirement or marriage or work. There are different financial requirements for Extensions.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Thaivisa Health Protect said:

You are welcome to take the post anyway you'd like Sir.  The intention was to try and provide some insight into the existing situation.  I completely agree that the value of these plans is not great by comparison to legacy plans.  They are specifically for 50+yrs upwards so the claims ratios will be higher, which explains the pricing.  Again we hope that they will allow any plan to meet the requirements, so that people who have plans with better coverage and pricing will be able to use for the obtaining of their visa.  Lastly of the 6 providers approved our rates are very competitive.

I appreciate any information.  Does the mandatory insurance apply to those getting retirement extensions in Thailand?

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It only applies to people applying for long-stay OA or OX visas, which can only be applied for in the applicant's home country.

Despite the scaremongering, it does not apply to Extensions of Stay based on retirement or marriage or work. There are different financial requirements for Extensions.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

I think you would have to say it may apply to those getting new O-A visas because there is no new law and no new information on any embassy website.  

3 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Does it only apply to new applicants for the O-A retirement who are applying from there own countries or those who are now on O-A extensions in Thailand too?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You can't extend a Visa.

A Visa allows entry for a period determined by the Visa type, then you extend your permission of stay based on retirement or marriage, then the Visa expires.

Yes , it only applies to Non O-A Visa applications from a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think you would have to say it may apply to those getting new O-A visas because there is no new law and no new information on any embassy website.  

It's only been approved, not implemented yet.

Check the Embassy websites late June for updates.

Any Health Insurance requirement will add to the existing requirements;

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity 

• Passport (validity over 1 year) and at least 2 blank pages. The actual passport must be submitted with visa application form.
  • Two (2) sets of application forms and 2 recent photos.
  • An additional application form for O-A
  • Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance for the past 3 months showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht (approximately £20,000.00) or an income certificate for the past 6 months with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht (approximately £1,625.00), or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.
  • Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  • If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)
  • Applicant must be of age 50 years old or over.

48 minutes ago, Thaivisa Health Protect said:

You are welcome to take the post anyway you'd like Sir.  The intention was to try and provide some insight into the existing situation.  I completely agree that the value of these plans is not great by comparison to legacy plans.  They are specifically for 50+yrs upwards so the claims ratios will be higher, which explains the pricing.  Again we hope that they will allow any plan to meet the requirements, so that people who have plans with better coverage and pricing will be able to use for the obtaining of their visa.  Lastly of the 6 providers approved our rates are very competitive.

Can I get an exclude everything with 100 percent deductible plan for a two or three thousand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thaivisa Health Protect said:

I understand that 50+ will be higher claims ratios. After all I am American and we experience this pricing first hand. While this is not in the best interest of the insurance companies, putting the higher claims people back in with the lower claims people into one big pool might lower premiums for consumers. Unfortunately for insurance companies this might lower profits.

I know first hand how this type of insurance plays out. I am 63 years old and pay 730USD per month for a policy that covers pre-existing conditions (Don't know of any ins cos that cover pre-existing unless you are under ObamaCare). Having said that, I'd be willing to pay some pretty serious premiums in Thailand if policies covered pre-existing conditions, I had a reasonable belief that they would pay when I needed it and lastly... if I was given permission to stay for more than one year at a time.

Those who have invested in families etc over the years here are very concerned as to where this is going.

Edited by jmd8800

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd buy that policy.

I'd rather be shaken down for two or three thousand that won't get me any return than 70,000+.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Can I get an exclude everything with 100 percent deductible plan for a two or three thousand?

One of the 8 suggested plans was "major medical" sometimes called catastrophic insurance. Much, much cheaper, but they only pay for above 40000 IP. The problem will always be the 40K out patient part, that's crazy. I would also look at local Thai policies, not the "for you the expat" policies.

Note: even big time companies screw you when it comes time to pay, I have the scars to prove it. I chuckle at people who boast how much coverage they have. Seldom see people brag how much their insurers paid on emergency.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
1 hour ago, zydeco said:

I'd buy that policy.

I'd sell you one.   I'm sure they are being planned right now.

Edited by rabas
  • Haha 2

Who is going to check these policies at Immigration to make sure they are up to date and conform to what is required and also my 7 policies from America?  The high school girls in the front handing out papers?

ins check.jpg

• Haha 2