BANGKOK 27 June 2019 11:12
webfact

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

On 5/15/2019 at 10:42 AM, mercman24 said:

one can rock up to Cambodia and have none of this shit, i am seriously looking to moving now, i have always, self certified, can get money here in 1.5 days, (now im gona get a reply , (wat if, wat if, etc) and yes i know the spelling , ok

Great idea Mercman24.  

Vietnam is another option: 1 yr ME Visa no hassle issued in 1-4 days for $55 US. NO reporting to mama every 90 days, NO 800/400 BS deposit, NO health insurance, safer roads, great food, etc...

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Wonder about all the broke ass English teachers on B visas? No way schools will pay for coverage of foreigners or will just be another reason to import 20-30 yo Filipinos.

Teachers are earning Thai salary which includes payments into social security. So yes, the schools are paying to cover them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Teachers are earning Thai salary which includes payments into social security. So yes, the schools are paying to cover them.

Public schools. Privates will have their own insurance. Both are usually weak below the best international schools.

The question is whether that coverage will be acceptable later under the new scheme. Perhaps they know they can get blood from a stone anyway.

I left a school, but hold a card hoping it's not dead. Is it possible for me to continue? I'd heard it was. I'd asked my wife to help sort this but she's dropped the ball. Pls message me bc I'm desperate for this information. Anything... website, phone number English. Even Thai if need be.

Like most here I am s little confused.
I have been here for nine years.

I am on the O-A extension. The said extension due again next August 27.

Is the insurance required for the extension?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
Are you sure about that? I am not sure O
-A even existed 9 years ago.

Most people here on retirement extensions obtained it after entry with (or conversion to) a regular "O" visa not O-A visa.

O-A visa can only be obtained at an embassy or consulate in your home country and is relatively new.

Check your passport for the original visa
your extensions refer to. If you have been issued a new passport since then they will have entered a stamp with the initial visa details. Post pix here.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm pretty sure the O-A did exist nine years ago and before that as well. It would be interesting to know exactly what year it started though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm pretty sure the O-A did exist nine years ago and before that as well. It would be interesting to know exactly what year it started though. 

Certainly was in 2008, that's when i got mine

• Thanks 1

I first came here on a O-A retirement from my own country.
After one year I crossed into Cambodia and came back into Thailand. At the end of that second year I went to immigration and got an extension to that visa.
I have been on extensions since then.
I am doing extensions now. It is no longer a visa

• Like 1

I first came here on a O-A retirement from my own country.
After one year I crossed into Cambodia and came back into Thailand. At the end of that second year I went to immigration and got an extension to that visa.
I have been on extensions since then.
I am doing extensions now. It is no longer a visa

Same for me and no doubt many others .

The danger is our respective IO’s might have other ideas and cause grief .

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:
On 5/16/2019 at 10:31 AM, Deerculler said:
Like most here I am s little confused.
I have been here for nine years.

I am on the O-A extension. The said extension due again next August 27.

Is the insurance required for the extension?

Are you sure about that? I am not sure O
-A even existed 9 years ago.

It did in 2002.

pp6.JPG.11a1ff8158b3500c912bb6d900fa2063.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Got mine in 2005

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Got mine in 2005

Beat you by 3 years.  😋 

Any more offers?

Posted (edited)

What are the chances that Immigration/MFA really ARE saying that only NEW O-A Visas require the health insurance?

Would they really consider that existing retirees who are here on Extensions of Stay should be allowed to "self-insure" since that is what most of us old geezers curently do? (OK, I know some well-off old geezers who have BUPA and some who are ex-US Forces and have pensions and health insurance.)

But would they (Immi/MFA) really be so considerate as to let us existing retirees on extensions carry on as before and run off (or die) without paying our bills?

BTW, I always have paid my bills.

Edited by JetsetBkk
Add: (or die)
  • Like 1

What are the chances that Immigration/MFA really ARE saying that only NEW O-A Visas require the health insurance?
Would they really consider that existing retirees who are here on Extensions of Stay should be allowed to "self-insure" since that is what most of us old geezers curently do? (OK, I know some well-off old geezers who have BUPA and some who are ex-US Forces and have pensions and health insurance.)
But would they (Immi/MFA) really be so considerate as to let us existing retirees on extensions carry on as before and run off (or die) without paying our bills?
BTW, I always have paid my bills.
Seeing as they only refer to OA visas and don't mention Extensions, I'd say that it's pretty clear!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Seeing as they only refer to OA visas and don't mention Extensions, I'd say that it's pretty clear!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I find that quite amazing. There must be a lot of old geezers on extensions after arriving on O-A visas and O visas that will be getting ill or dying soon who will - according to the hospital financial people - be running off without paying their bills.

In a way it's disappointing, if true, because I really need an excuse to get some decent health insurance and this would be the push that makes me do it. Otherwise I'll just keep paying each bill as it arrives.