Britain warns of Iran-U.S. conflict, Pompeo meets Europeans

webfact

6 hours ago, Morch said:

The threat is mostly to deny EU firms doing business with Iran the opportunity to do so with the USA. While I don't see this as a good way of dealing with allies, outrageous interference? Doubtful. So far, it seems that EU firms either do not have much faith in their governments "push back" potential, or that they do the math pitting respective trade prospects with Iran and the USA. The signatories acting collectively and managing to do something constructive, never mind effective....not holding my breath.

IMO US trade threats against it's NATO partners is an abuse of power, as was trump's unilateral withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, simple1 said:

IMO US trade threats against it's NATO partners is an abuse of power, as was trump's unilateral withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal.

I don't have a problem with criticizing both moves. Did so on plenty of other topics. It's the terminology used which I find questionable, though easy to understand that it will be used. This one is not really an improvement on "outrageous".

Is "abuse of power" applicable in reference to international relations? Had the USA gone about it in a more diplomatic, quiet way would it be alright, then? If withdrawing from the Iran Deal was an "abuse of power", how does signing up without political back up fare?

41 minutes ago, Morch said:

I don't have a problem with criticizing both moves. Did so on plenty of other topics. It's the terminology used which I find questionable, though easy to understand that it will be used. This one is not really an improvement on "outrageous".

Is "abuse of power" applicable in reference to international relations? Had the USA gone about it in a more diplomatic, quiet way would it be alright, then? If withdrawing from the Iran Deal was an "abuse of power", how does signing up without political back up fare?

No attempt on my part to improve upon 'outrageous' - it's my opinion, won't change in relation to trump's decision making to date regards Iran. There are signals trump's winding back the rhetoric, lets see how he goes.

On 5/14/2019 at 8:52 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously Trump won't listen. He needs a distraction from all his personal failings.  And his fox "news" watching supporters will never know that Trump is the problem and not Iran.   Iran complied with all the details from the agreement. The USA broke it.

hmmm....u best get on with factual current events before making uninformed statements.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/01/why-trump-extended-iran-nuclear-deal-timing-north-korea/

Archived