Visakha Bucha Buddhist holiday brings alcohol ban

webfact

Visakha Bucha Buddhist holiday brings alcohol ban

By The Phuket News

1557798906_1-org.jpg

Image: Class Act Media

PHUKET: The major Buddhist holiday Visakha Bucha Day will be honoured this Saturday (May 18), followed by a substitution day public holiday next Monday (May 20).

As Visakha Bucha Day is a holy day, all shops, bars and restaurants are barred from selling alcohol for 24 hours from midnight to midnight on Saturday (00:01hrs-23:59hrs).

However, there is no ban on the sale of alcohol next Monday.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/visakha-bucha-buddhist-holiday-brings-alcohol-ban-71419.php#tcJP1IYGcIGZ4zXO.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-14

12 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Alcohol ban->stockpile->binge drinking

Or a day off it, as I occasionally tried in my later years in Thailand.

Many years experience taught me that if you're gonna get a drink on a Buddha Day in BKK, Sukhumvit Soi 7, Beer Garden is the "last chance saloon"????

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Or a day off it, as I occasionally tried in my later years in Thailand.

Many years experience taught me that if you're gonna get a drink on a Buddha Day in BKK, Sukhumvit Soi 7, Beer Garden is the "last chance saloon"????

Surely the Soi 7 Beer Garden is the last chance saloon on any day, alcohol ban or not! ????

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

Why dont they have all year around Buddhist holidays then we would know what to do. I am sure they have more holidays then any other country.

I was also sure, and I was about to make this point to the missus, but I thought that I'd check first. It turns out that Thailand has 16 public holidays a year, but the countries with the most are India and China with 21.

6 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Kids go back to school for two days and then another holiday. No wonder the country is full of simpletons

You seem to imply that going more often to school would make them smarter... I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

Why dont they have all year around Buddhist holidays then we would know what to do. I am sure they have more holidays then any other country.

Actually,

Not as many as Cambodia!

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

I read recently that Thailand does have more holidays than any other country and that the number of holidays is to be reduced. EDIT - but reading above, it appears that what I read was wrong.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I read recently that Thailand does have more holidays than any other country and that the number of holidays is to be reduced. EDIT - but reading above, it appears that what I read was wrong.

Another one just added to the list. I won't make any additional comment though for obvious reasons

20 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Another one just added to the list. I won't make any additional comment though for obvious reasons

As its an official news story and in the public domain I don't see an issue. Its in the news section but locked.

As for this Saturday cue the ritual wailing and beating of chests. ????

kevin.jpg

5 hours ago, Ombra said:

I was also sure, and I was about to make this point to the missus, but I thought that I'd check first. It turns out that Thailand has 16 public holidays a year, but the countries with the most are India and China with 21.

Having worked for a number of years in India, I can certainly vouch for that country being high on the public holiday list. Just gets confusing due to the holidays varying based on which state you happen to be in. But that is par for the course in that 'incredible' place.

Another that comes to mind is Malaysia which, in the interests of equality, has common holidays for the Malay/Chinese/Indian communities. Add on the State holiday and the odd additional day off if working for a UK based company, it was a decent place to eke out a living as an expat!! 

Archived