Menacing monks put the fear up locals in "out of hours" visits for cash

webfact

Menacing monks put the fear up locals in "out of hours" visits for cash

10pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A Facebook user went online to complain about a group of monks who repeatedly turned up at his door. 

These "men of the cloth" didn't accept food. 

They wanted cash. And they were prepared to wait for as long as it took. 

And they turned up well outside of the normal "bintabaht" (alms round) visiting hours. 

These men carrying bowls were at "Phume Paradon's" house in Sisaket in Thailand's north east between 9 and 10 am. 

He said he felt threatened and unsafe by their continued pestering. 

Many online said they had faced similar situations, reported Thai Rath.

Some had given money to the monks to make them go away.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-14

Parasites thats what they are, had monks here before trying the same, standing there wanting money.

I had 2 at my gate before, to get rid of them i gave them 20 baht each, 1 of them threw the note on the ground demanding 100 baht, so you can imagine what he was told.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Parasites thats what they are, had monks here before trying the same, standing there wanting money.

I had 2 at my gate before, to get rid of them i gave them 20 baht each, 1 of them threw the note on the ground demanding 100 baht, so you can imagine what he was told.

"Get your haircut and get a real job?"

Just now, colinneil said:

Neigh problem pal here's 200. 

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Parasites that's what they are, had monks here before trying the same, standing there wanting money.

A pity that you did not have a video running or you could have reported them to the police for lese majeste for throwing picture of the King on the ground.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

complain about a group of monks who repeatedly turned up at his door. Some had given money to the monks to make them go away.

giving food to monkeys will also not make them go away.

just a comparison...

Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile.  

Had an aggressive group of monks show up one afternoon when we lived out in the village, wife said they weren't from the local town temple, rather, from a temple several kilometers away into the back country/rice fields - probably hurtin' for money out there. 

They pulled up in a truck at the minor soi intersection just outside and to the right of our long driveway, and dismounted in force.  Our tall driveway gate was partially open, and I got a glimpse of the leader, who looked like a mafia thug, tattoos.  He was literally barking orders like an Army Sergeant, pointing and deploying the worker bee monks in different directions with their collection bowls.

They never did come up our driveway or even try.  Wife's brother, a monk, was visiting Mom at the time, sat at the picnic table in his robe, in plain view and I can only surmise that put them off; as well as our dogs were going ape shit at the strangers and commotion out on the road.   

I rather enjoyed the spectacle.  I could sense the vibe among my wife, mom, sister, wrestling with the conflict in their heads about what to do, and then the flood of relief when the rogue monks never approached our house, and eventually moved on.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

They were lucky you are in a wheel chair then.

So they can jet all around? Every time I’m at the airport I see a few of those parasites. What ever happened to the tradition of WALKING with their bare feet from temple to temple, like the good old venerable Ajahn Chah used to do?

Go outside and test their muay thai technique I say, that'll get rid of the bar stewards. Thai's sadly get what they create in this instance i.e. the cult of personality and deifying/revering monks has bastardised the teachings of Buddha and creates this crap!

7 hours ago, JulesMad said:

A real monk NEVER asks for money!

Exactly.  When I was a monk, I had even turned down money from some people I didn't think had the money to give.  

1 minute ago, khaowong1 said:

Exactly.  When I was a monk, I had even turned down money from some people I didn't think had the money to give.  

I even know some temples where monks won't accept money.  If you feel the need to give, you have to go to the temple and give the money to the person, civilian, who handles the money.  The monks don't. 

Archived