Bar host stabbed to death on Bangla Road

webfact

Bangla Road bar tout charged with murder

By Waranya Prompinpiras

1557825956_1-org.jpg

Pakorn Pongseeda is in police custody after he escaped to Phang Nga. Photo: Patong Police

PHUKET:-- Patong Police Chief Col Anotai Jindamanee today revealed that the fatal stabbing on Patong’s bustling tourism street of bars and nightclubs was the final episode of a long ongoing spat between two “bar touts”.

Col Anotai told The Phuket News today, “The two men had argued many times in the past. This time the argument escalated into a physical fight and as Pakorn Pongseeda was subdued, he pulled out a knife and stabbed Anuchet Chanwichit once in the right abdomen.”

Mr Chanwichit immediately fell to the ground as Mr Pakorn escaped.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/bangla-road-bar-tout-charged-with-murder-71428.php#uSgdpcrmdQePpO7v.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-14

1 hour ago, CGW said:

I collect knives and have carried one for the past fifty years also, the "public perception" of knives has always been "strange" The vast majority of knife crime, the weapon of choice 99 out of a 100 times is a kitchen knife, especially in the UK, people don't go into a kitchen and get shocked by the presence of knives, yet they see a small folding knife and have a OMG moment - perception ????

Historically Asians don't allow knives at the table for a reason, you don't need two guesses as to why when you see observe the lack of mental stability here! :shock1:

A pen knife sure , hunting knife no way in normal circumstances.

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

At least a law for farangs :dry:

I remember the case of a tourist couple being fined for having a Swiss army knife (multi tool) in the car.:annoyed:

My late father got warned by a policeman for the same thing in Broadstairs about 15 years ago.

To be fair he was peeling an apple with it at the time.

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

At least a law for farangs :dry:

I remember the case of a tourist couple being fined for having a Swiss army knife (multi tool) in the car.:annoyed:

40 years ago the night bus from Loei to BKK was stopped at a checkpoint and all the men had to get off.  The cops or soldiers boarded to inspect (previous Junta).  They wanted to see the farang's bag.  I had a nice hilltribe pointy machete with about a 10 inch blade.  They tried to make a big deal of it, but I talked my way out of it.  "No big deal.  Just a knife. All the farmers carry them around all the time. Grade school kids bring them into class."  Probably helped that I had some sort of Thai or US Embassy ID, as I was working at the refugee camps.

Apparently guns and knives were supposed to be checked with the bus hostess on boarding (so they could hide them?).  My wife never let on that she knew me, or that we shared the bag.  They didn't say anything about the ladies undergarments in the bag, 555.

P.S.  I have a thing for machetes and knives.  I have  a hundred or two.  The two in the last pic were acquired 40 years ago.  The incurved one next to the basket type sheath was a gift from an old Thai farmer/blacksmith I worked with.

image.jpeg.23f39f6b03100be4df38ac2ca0116b85.jpeg 

image.thumb.jpeg.6bba80d67f13edb27ebc52548e8e852a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.da4a7b368c3b4917d48d2e1106e4d418.jpeg

5 hours ago, Catoni said:

Why not? I’m 67 and I’ve been carrying a knife of one type or another every day ever since I was in Cub Scouts more than half a century ago. Most of those years it’s been a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. Or SAK. But once in a while a sheath hunting knife of the Bowie type blade, or my M5A1 Garand bayonet/knife with its matching M8A1 scabbard.  

When I was in the scouts in the 70's we all had 5 inch sheath knives in fancy leather scabbards

attached to our belts, some of the cooler kids even had small hatchets!

Life seemed a lot more fun for kids back then, without burdensome health and safety and

not having worried parents hovering around checking your exact location all the time, or worse

still, trying to do cool stuff with you!

I must admit a scout leader did cop a  feel one time, but can't have been impressed as he 

never did it again.

9 hours ago, Catoni said:

Why not? I’m 67 and I’ve been carrying a knife of one type or another every day ever since I was in Cub Scouts more than half a century ago. Most of those years it’s been a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. Or SAK. But once in a while a sheath hunting knife of the Bowie type blade, or my M5A1 Garand bayonet/knife with its matching M8A1 scabbard.  

I even gave up carrying Swiss Army knives on my keychain when I surrendered about my 5th or 6th one at airport security in the wake of 9/11.  Before that, they never gave them a second look and I always just forgot I even had them on me.  They were real handy for all the tools, not to mention the blade for opening boxes and other things.

Like many items available for sale in the bright light of day in Thailand, swords, machetes, bayonets, switchblades and other implements of mayhem can be purchased on one block and confiscated on the next one- with a fine or worse.

13 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Why do we have to look at the back of a farang with his hair done up like a girl? 

Millennial guy no doubt. Born 1995.

Never heard of bar hosts in LOS.

Translation....soi Thai punk or tout  scamming newbie tourists and dumping them in crappy bars orgogo hovels.

"Why do we have to look at the back of a farang with his hair done up like a girl?"....

He's going thru the transition stage. Will be a ladyboy soon. 

11 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

A lot more knife attacks in Oz over the last couple of years unfortunately. Mostly younger generation folks 

Bring back the days when if there was a disagreement between a couple of guys they'd just take it around the corner where they could 'decide' things with their fists and didn't need/want any weapons. No one dies or is seriously injured yet the "issue" was settled.

14 hours ago, madmen said:

I like the Oz and kiwi method. Punch the crap out of each other , shake hands and grab some beers...NO knives!

You really are living in the past !  Nowadays you never trust your opponent. Fight dirty, destroy and walk away.

typical night anywhere in Thailand, seems knives, guns, weapons of all types are

the norm for thais ( males and females )to carry, and it appears to be happening more often. BUT the

tourist authority says welcome to this family friendly country, yeh sure guys, the more

you tell lies the more people are becoming a wake up to this country, or is all the

violence a way of saying we dont want tourists here. 

On 5/14/2019 at 7:18 AM, Olmate said:

A bayonet knife on your hip would give me an OMG too! 

The M5A1 Garand bayonet looks a lot more like just a sheath knife. At first glance you can’t tell it is made to fit on the Garand rifle. Other than being made to fit on the Garand....it’s really just a sheath knife. 

On 5/14/2019 at 3:57 PM, impulse said:

I even gave up carrying Swiss Army knives on my keychain when I surrendered about my 5th or 6th one at airport security in the wake of 9/11.  Before that, they never gave them a second look and I always just forgot I even had them on me.  They were real handy for all the tools, not to mention the blade for opening boxes and other things.

Like many items available for sale in the bright light of day in Thailand, swords, machetes, bayonets, switchblades and other implements of mayhem can be purchased on one block and confiscated on the next one- with a fine or worse.

Yes...I knew about security before getting on my flights. So when I flew to Thailand the first time, I left my Victorinox SAK in Canada with relatives, and I found a place in Chiang Mai that sells the real Victorinox SAK. So I bought one there. Many months later when I flew back to Canada, I gave it as a gift to a Thai friend before flying out of Thailand. 

On 5/14/2019 at 7:18 AM, Olmate said:

A bayonet knife on your hip would give me an OMG too! 

The M5A1 Garand bayonet is really just a knife made to fit on the Garand. Just glancing at it on someone’s belt you can’t tell right away that it is a bayonet. You have to take a second closer look. It’s really quite a nice knife. 

On 5/15/2019 at 1:25 PM, johng50 said:

typical night anywhere in Thailand, seems knives, guns, weapons of all types are

the norm for thais ( males and females )to carry, and it appears to be happening more often. BUT the

tourist authority says welcome to this family friendly country, yeh sure guys, the more

you tell lies the more people are becoming a wake up to this country, or is all the

violence a way of saying we dont want tourists here. 

wow someone who know this is an daily event all over thailand both with guns and knifes/machetes, typically the comments is about how safe thailand is and that there is little crime and murders here compared to farangs home countries (mainly Europe and Australia, New zealand.

6 hours ago, koratkorat1 said:

wow someone who know this is an daily event all over thailand both with guns and knifes/machetes, typically the comments is about how safe thailand is and that there is little crime and murders here compared to farangs home countries (mainly Europe and Australia, New zealand.

Think USA is missing from your list?

Archived