I wish to get married!!!

Jasper4one

Hi

I hope this is the right place to ask. Thank you in Advance for your replies. I wish to get married to the mother of my son and I do not know what is the process or steps needed in order to complete this process. I am an American man who has been in Thailand for 12 years already. Please tell me step by step what and where I must go in BKK. I have heard that I need to go to the U.S. Embassy first to have a document certified or something like that. Then what else and where I need to go and what other documents do I need to supply. Again please be detailed and thank you so much for your help in this matter. Have a great day. Jasper

Allow plenty of the time for the process to be completed. Use the translation office inside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK. They'll take care of translations and the submitting of those docs to the ministry. Follow the US Government's advice in the link.

You dont have to go to the MFA yourself, any of the translation offices dotted around the embassies will submit your documents for you and then post them back to you for a very reasonable fee. Also as well as the afirmation letter get your passport copied, translated and legalised at the same time as some Amphurs insist on this.

HL

As i've recently (within last 60 days) married my thai GF in samui, I can tell you what i did. My situation is slightly different as I don't currently reside in thailand, my current residence is in the UK (for another 2yrs), but i'm a US citizen. Also, i am divorced.

1. (if divorced) get a decree absolute. The thai embassy says its absolutely required, but no one asked to see it.

2. Make an appointment at the consular services in BKK, take a copy of your passport and a copy of this PDF, fill it out before you go to your appointment but don't sign it - you do that at the consular office

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/marriage-affidavit-bangkok.pdf

3. You'll need to get both the affirmation and passport copy notarized at the consular office - 3000 baht roughly, i was there less than 1 hour, but my appointment was 09:30.

4. Get all that translated to thai, as others have said there are several agents on wireless road, same side as the consular service (opposite side of road from the embassy). I didn't make an appointment.

5. Get it all 'legalized' by the ministry of foreign affairs in BKK. I took the easy option and had the translator do it for me (4k baht but i had the divorce doc to translate and it was a full A4 page) - money wasn't an issue, but it does take 3 business days. I did mine on a wed, had it all back fri 2pm (ish)

6. You'll register at your local amphur however I had friends sort all that out for me - and they came to us, we didn't have to go to the offices.

Hope that helps, good luck, and all the best!

1 hour ago, Sean Rock said:

As i've recently (within last 60 days) married my thai GF in samui, I can tell you what i did. My situation is slightly different as I don't currently reside in thailand, my current residence is in the UK (for another 2yrs), but i'm a US citizen. Also, i am divorced.

1. (if divorced) get a decree absolute. The thai embassy says its absolutely required, but no one asked to see it.

2. Make an appointment at the consular services in BKK, take a copy of your passport and a copy of this PDF, fill it out before you go to your appointment but don't sign it - you do that at the consular office

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/marriage-affidavit-bangkok.pdf

3. You'll need to get both the affirmation and passport copy notarized at the consular office - 3000 baht roughly, i was there less than 1 hour, but my appointment was 09:30.

4. Get all that translated to thai, as others have said there are several agents on wireless road, same side as the consular service (opposite side of road from the embassy). I didn't make an appointment.

5. Get it all 'legalized' by the ministry of foreign affairs in BKK. I took the easy option and had the translator do it for me (4k baht but i had the divorce doc to translate and it was a full A4 page) - money wasn't an issue, but it does take 3 business days. I did mine on a wed, had it all back fri 2pm (ish)

6. You'll register at your local amphur however I had friends sort all that out for me - and they came to us, we didn't have to go to the offices.

Hope that helps, good luck, and all the best!

Just one point to add to this post.......Its the embassy that you show the divorce certificate to in order for them to issue your affirmation to marry.

The Amphur does not want to see it at all, which is why you were not asked for it, and therefore you do not need to get it translated. 

12 minutes ago, happylarry said:

Just one point to add to this post.......Its the embassy that you show the divorce certificate to in order for them to issue your affirmation to marry.

The Amphur does not want to see it at all, which is why you were not asked for it, and therefore you do not need to get it translated. 

FYI, i didn't go to the embassy, its the consular service that notarizes your documents. They are directly across from each other on wireless road. The link i provided is the pdf from the thai embassy. Its not issued per se, just download it, print it, fill it out, take it to the US consular services and get it stamped.

Come to think of it - the translator asked for my divorce decree and charged me to translate it. But its possible the ministry of foreign affairs required it to legalize the affirmation.

Archived