BANGKOK 25 June 2019 15:12
mommysboy

What free health care do Thai people get.

I am assessing how best to cope with my family's potential health care costs.

I know that all Thai citizens are covered by universal health care at a government hospital, but am not sure how this pans out in reality.  

For instance, what about if a Thai needs an appendectomy, or chemotherapy- would that be free too?

it also seems to depend where the Thais are registered, i get told they get free healthcare back home in Isaan but not Pattaya

Where they are registered determines what primary hospital they are allowed to use for normal medical needs.  There is nothing to prevent them moving their home register location to where they actually live (they should do this) and that would make it a local hospital.  They can pay for treatment at other hospitals so for most things the costs would be low - but much better to move home to where you actually live. 

it also seems to depend where the Thais are registered, i get told they get free healthcare back home in Isaan but not Pattaya
The people you hear that from are registeted in a tabian ban in Issan. So of course barring absolute emergency they can't get free care in Pattaya (or anywhere elde, other than the hospital where they sre listed in Issan).

If they changed their tabian ban listing to Pattaya, they'd get free care in Pattaya.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Where they are registered determines what primary hospital they are allowed to use for normal medical needs.  There is nothing to prevent them moving their home register location to where they actually live (they should do this) and that would make it a local hospital.  They can pay for treatment at other hospitals so for most things the costs would be low - but much better to move home to where you actually live. 
They should wear crash helmets but they don't do that either

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

They should wear crash helmets but they don't do that either

Should be required - many do were helmets when in an area it is required.  🙂

• Confused 2

I have noted that at my Government Hospital the folks (Thai) still have to pay for their prescriptions but at a reduced level than moi with the vaunted "Gold Card" 😊 

I think it is a misnomer that anything in life is "free". Even is single payer healthcare systems it is not "free". True you don't have to pay at the hospital but there is a cost. 

That sticker on motorbike gave my gf 30,000b to spend at BKK Hospital after an accident, Nice

That sticker on motorbike gave my gf 30,000b to spend at BKK Hospital after an accident, Nice
Up to 80k if not at fault

I have noted that at my Government Hospital the folks (Thai) still have to pay for their prescriptions but at a reduced level than moi with the vaunted "Gold Card"  
Gold card?

I have noted that at my Government Hospital the folks (Thai) still have to pay for their prescriptions but at a reduced level than moi with the vaunted "Gold Card"  
They shoulf not unless it is a medication not on the MoPH frug list which is rate.

Ate you perhaps confusing this with the 30 baht payment for the visit?

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

My tgf is getting a bit riled up when I mentioned this to her Hahahaha.

shes saying that there is no “government hospital” out in the sticks where she is registered and what they have is called a satani anamai (??) where there is a “nurse” that will give you paracetamol for any and every ailment and tell you to lie down for a few hours. It’s very entertaining watching her go off 😁

So... my question to add to the op’s is - is it worth it? 

• Like 2