Jump to content
BANGKOK 26 May 2019 17:17
mommysboy

What free health care do Thai people get.

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

 

What's wrong with a bed in a ward? it's where normal people in most countries stay.

Ha ha!

 

Well, I recently stayed in a public ward for a day or two. No air conditioning, basic beds and crowded. The nurses take the blood pressure and temp, and distribute medications, as needed. But most patient care (cleaning etc) is done by the patient's family. So there are always dozens of people camped out next to their family member's bedside. Very noisy.

 

I chickened out and paid the extra 600 Baht per night for a private room. Fully air conditioned, fancy electric bed, ensuite, full cooking facilities etc. My wife and her friends stayed there the 3 days I was in the room.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Ha ha!

 

Well, I recently stayed in a public ward for a day or two. No air conditioning, basic beds and crowded. The nurses take the blood pressure and temp, and distribute medications, as needed. But most patient care (cleaning etc) is done by the patient's family. So there are always dozens of people camped out next to their family member's bedside. Very noisy.

 

I chickened out and paid the extra 600 Baht per night for a private room. Fully air conditioned, fancy electric bed, ensuite, full cooking facilities etc. My wife and her friends stayed there the 3 days I was in the room.

You're rich, you can afford luxury, most Thais live in a mud hut with a squat toilet if they're lucky.

When I moved my step-daughter from her village to my modern house she said, "dad, I'n never going to live anywhere without a heated shower again".

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I think it is a misnomer that anything in life is "free". Even is single payer healthcare systems it is not "free". True you don't have to pay at the hospital but there is a cost. 

But there is a crucial difference, especially if you are poor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 9:29 PM, lopburi3 said:

Should be required - many do were helmets when in an area it is required.  🙂

you mean the 29 baht plastic brain bowl? you're safer without it, at least you won't get plastic-related cancer or accidentally cut yourself from a rough chin strap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Are you civered ubndert= the goivernment Civil Service SS system? As that is different form regukar SS and the "gold card" (AKA "30 baht") schemes.

 

My wife works for the Revenue Dept. I am covered by her plan. My issued hospital card just states Gov Direct Pay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It seems you may have insurance type coverage rather the normal (30 baht) coverage?  There is no co-pay (other than 30 baht).  But emergency service is available and paid anywhere for first several days care under current rules.

No I am covered by the Gov. I do not have any other insurance plan..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

No I am covered by the Gov. I do not have any other insurance plan..

You have a special plan - not the general gold card 30 baht coverage most Thai have.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You have a special plan - not the general gold card 30 baht coverage most Thai have.  

Perhaps, really don't know. My wife said it's the standard Gov workers plan. If that is special, so be it. Gee, I haven't had anything special in a long time..lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Perhaps, really don't know. My wife said it's the standard Gov workers plan. If that is special, so be it. Gee, I haven't had anything special in a long time..lol

Yes that is very special - dinner on you tonight.  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes that is very special - dinner on you tonight.  🙂

Deal...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Deal...

That for the wife - for providing good coverage (medical).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have the Civil Service SS cover. Very different from regular SS and from the gold card.

Thai universal health care consists of 3 schemes:

1. Civil Service SS - covers not only the employed but also spouse and dependents. Can use any govt hospital.

2. Regular SS - covers the employee only and at 1 hospital only unless that hospital refers you elsewhere. There are monthly salary deductions for this plus an employer contribution.

3. Universal AKA gold card AKA 30 baht scheme - covers all Thai citizens not covered by either of the first two schemes. Covered at one hospital only unless it refers you elsewhere.

Foreigners are covered by the first scheme only if married to or the parent of a government employee.

Foreigners who work legally with work permit at other than a private school are covered under the second scheme and can maintain this cover for life after they stop working if they continue the payments.

Foreigners are not eligible for the 3rd scheme.




Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You have the Civil Service SS cover. Very different from regular SS and from the gold card.

Thai universal health care consists of 3 schemes:

1. Civil Service SS - covers not only the employed but also spouse and dependents. Can use any govt hospital.

2. Regular SS - covers the employee only and at 1 hospital only unless that hospital refers you elsewhere. There are monthly salary deductions for this plus an employer contribution.

3. Universal AKA gold card AKA 30 baht scheme - covers all Thai citizens not covered by either of the first two schemes. Covered at one hospital only unless it refers you elsewhere.

Foreigners are covered by the first scheme only if married to or the parent of a government employee.

Foreigners who work legally with work permit at other than a private school are covered under the second scheme and can maintain this cover for life after they stop working if they continue the payments.

Foreigners are not eligible for the 3rd scheme.




Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

I guess I have a Civil Service SS. Yes it covers dependents and my wife's parents as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 12:33 PM, Sheryl said:

Yes.

 

Virtually everything is covered. A few very new or rare medications or tests not yet on the standard list are about all that is not. And hemodialysis is restricted to patients unable to do peritoneal dialysis.

 

They have to use the government hospital which covers the area where they are listed in a tabian ban. That hospital can as necessary refer them to higher level or more specialized hospitals but they must get the referral letter for it to be covered.

 

It is well worth choosing  where you live with an eye to the level/quality of the hospital. The best situation is to live in the ampur where a regional level hospital is located. Second best is to be in any other Ampur Muang (provincial capital). Living further out you may have to utilize a community level hospital as first point of call and  their capacities are limited so you end up having to constantly get referrla letters to go elsewhere.

 

And make sure your family are not still listed in tabian bans in some other province far away...not unusual as Thais dislike having to deal with the bureaucracy so often don't change their listing when they move,It will be a problem when they need medical care. Change the listing to where you actually live.

As usual a very informative post but to explain a little more to others,  most Thais do not have a choice as to where they live  so often stuck with a local hospital requiring a referral for more serious issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...