Camper Van or Mobile home

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

may be anybody has an idea of what car I can buy in Thailand to build a DIY Camper or Mobile home out of it.
I learned that all minibuses are really not high enough, I would like to stay inside.

I had contact with a Chinese Company which is selling brand new mobile homes but the prices top this prices in Europe by far.
Thought its even more cheaper in Asia, and i am not sure of the quality of the Chinese made cars.

was thinking about a VW crafter or Mercedes Sprinter, but both are not sold in Thailand and the prices of VW Vans are just crazy.
A new model of a minibus made by VW is around 3,5million Baht, an Isuzu you can buy for 1,25million Baht.

I need tips on which Asian brands I can may be use or anything else comes to mind where you can stay inside, put a bed, shower

and a kitchen in and if possible a motorcycle. Ready to go stuff or just a transporter with at least 5m lengh and 5m width should do

any ideas?
THANKS in advance, really appreciate your help.
I am planning a trip to Europe with this thing..but thats another story 

CampervanThailand 01.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

If Jeremy can convert a Citroen, any Thai pickup should do.

787327E4-2F56-45A2-B825-F177B47B27B4.jpeg

hahhahah nice one, first bridge is mine ???? and pls never go faster  as 20kmh or at least close the windows infront ????????

15 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

wonder why the coyote never catched you ????

Yeah, thx, i know these links, i am not too bad in googleing myself. Look at my first picture, its a car from this company. Unfortunately like all ThaiCompanies, they never answer to Emails.
As far as I found out, they are import these cars from Japan, which is expensive to.

I am looking more for a DIY (do it yourself) Van to build. I am living here since 20years and i think its long enough... Time to go on travelling ????
thx anyways

17 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Have you looked at Carryboy?

http://www.carryboycaravan.com/motorhome/

I am just doing it right now, THANKS for this link  Gulfsailor.
btw, i still have no idea what you meant with Nomad do a TM30 ...

The Carryboy has the perfect size, more i do not need. Will check for prices and if doing it by myself will safe me much money

thanks

I think one of the reasons you don't see campervans/mobile homes in Thailand is that there are no facilities for that way of traveling ie no camping parks with electricity / water connection etc'. Another reason is that there are hotels / resorts / home-stays pretty much everywhere so finding a reasonably priced accommodation is possible anywhere in Thailand. 

I do think the Thai Immig does not want farang sleeping along the road side, even if in a car. 

I have read/heard that such campers are not seen in T'land is due to govt regulations.  

My suggestion: check with local land transport office before any $$ investments. 

25 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

I do think the Thai Immig does not want farang sleeping along the road side, even if in a car. 

I have read/heard that such campers are not seen in T'land is due to govt regulations.  

My suggestion: check with local land transport office before any $$ investments. 

I have seen news about the plan to ban Chinese RVs from driving around Phuket town.

13 hours ago, moskito said:

I am just doing it right now, THANKS for this link  Gulfsailor.
btw, i still have no idea what you meant with Nomad do a TM30 ...

The Carryboy has the perfect size, more i do not need. Will check for prices and if doing it by myself will safe me much money

thanks

Cityboy is the same but higher headroom.  You can buy an awful lot of cheap guest house or provincial hotel rooms for the price of such a conversion. It also leaves you much less open to unfortunate incidents including with the authorities who who require to know where you sleep every night as part of Thailand's immigration law. If you are planning to Holiday in the cities, or on the islands and not provincial tours oh, you must consider that where you intend park up every night

3 hours ago, Chicken George said:

TM 30 will be a big problem.. When moving address you have to report within 24hrs your new address.. 

Sorry to burst your bubble but you will be better off with a car and staying in cheap accomadation..

Good luck

I dont think there is any Immigration now wanting a TM30 for domestic travel.

But Post 23 is correct - facilities for a camper are not widespread , and guesthouses and cabins so cheap that you'd be better off with a normal car.

I have a hunch you are looking at "tinkering" for a while , so why not build your own 'Piggy Back Camper' that can slide on and off a pickup truck?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/819303357190110856/

6 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Well I have seen them sold at the motor shows so they must be legal. In fact they nearly all had a “sold” sign on them when I visited the shows. I have seen a couple on the road. I guess you could always overnight at a service station, but there are no caravan parks as such, just campsites at national parks.

... had a French family staying in the hood per Airbnb 2 years ago, they had so far done Europe, both Americas, Indonesia and Malaysia in their camper, all fine up to the Thai border where a permanent Halt was administered, didn't get the car incountry and had to long-time park it there for the time they visited TH ...

Btw, never seen one anywhere here on the roads in close to 20yrs either. 

On 5/15/2019 at 12:39 AM, Gulfsailor said:

If Jeremy can convert a Citroen, any Thai pickup should do.

787327E4-2F56-45A2-B825-F177B47B27B4.jpeg

Definitely need to learn how to tack, jibe and luff a sailing boat before I got into that.

33 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

... had a French family staying in the hood per Airbnb 2 years ago, they had so far done Europe, both Americas, Indonesia and Malaysia in their camper, all fine up to the Thai border where a permanent Halt was administered, didn't get the car incountry and had to long-time park it there for the time they visited TH ...

Btw, never seen one anywhere here on the roads in close to 20yrs either. 

While making deliveries around Pattaya north we pass a over-lander stop near highway 7 first toll gate and often notice many large camper vans and vehicles. I once stopped to ask one of the visitors how he got his huge over lander truck past the border. Apparently the latest information is available through over-lander forums and agents inside of Thailand.

I imagine the owners of the place will also have information on buying vehicles and moving around in your mobile home.

https://www.overlandersthailand.com/gallery/

I saw one of the carryboy type RV's running around Isaan in November.     It wasn't new, maybe ten years old,but not junk.     I was curious who was driving it, (Guessed a farang)  but only could determine it was an Asian person.       I also wondered about the lack of facilities for an RV.

I don't mind 'comfort camping' via a car or pickup,  (Large  tent, air mattresses, folding chairs, etc)  but need access to decent bathrooms, showers, etc.    (The older I get the more important that is)

I could handle a lengthy car trip in Thailand based on mostly staying in inexpensive hotels, and the occasional decent campsite.   Seriously thinking about throwing one of the nicer backpacking tents I have in the suitcase when I come in a month or so to  retire, but not sure how much use it would get?

(other than GF's granddaughters playing in it)  Not sure I'd attempt a vehicle I could sleep in?

If looking to drive it out of Thailand, then I'd be looking at a 4 wheel drive pickup truck with a fitted canopy.  As has already been mentioned, Carryboy do a custom camper type one, but if you're looking for a DIY project, and want to maximise space by having the bed above the cab, then I'd go for something like a Kerry courier truck, but maybe not so tall, (and in 4 wheel drive).

image.png.db758f737ae7b4a6f9f701936f1bf285.png

A pop-up tent on a lower canopy would be another option:

image.png.2f98d9de88a4b99a0285c1f8cabaeae8.png

On 5/17/2019 at 7:47 AM, LukKrueng said:

I think one of the reasons you don't see campervans/mobile homes in Thailand is that there are no facilities for that way of traveling ie no camping parks with electricity / water connection etc'. Another reason is that there are hotels / resorts / home-stays pretty much everywhere so finding a reasonably priced accommodation is possible anywhere in Thailand. 

thx Sir, but that was really not my question.
Its not in my intention to safe money on Hotels or Rooms, we are renting out by ourselfs since a long time ????
I am planning a Roadtrip to Europe

On 5/18/2019 at 9:42 AM, ballpoint said:

If looking to drive it out of Thailand, then I'd be looking at a 4 wheel drive pickup truck with a fitted canopy.  As has already been mentioned, Carryboy do a custom camper type one, but if you're looking for a DIY project, and want to maximise space by having the bed above the cab, then I'd go for something like a Kerry courier truck, but maybe not so tall, (and in 4 wheel drive).

image.png.db758f737ae7b4a6f9f701936f1bf285.png

A pop-up tent on a lower canopy would be another option:

image.png.2f98d9de88a4b99a0285c1f8cabaeae8.png

Thanks Ballpoint, nice post,
Yeah i had contact with Carryboy, but they are quiet  expensive but the cars they made are not so bad. Since i am planning a longer trip and living for some time in this "thing" i need something a bit more confortable and bigger. At least I want to stay.
I was thinking of a car like a Mercedes Sprinter or VW Crafter but both or something similar are obviously not available in Thailand and the imported cars are rediculous overpriced.
A normal 11seat minibus made by Volkswagen is 3,3million Baht, a Toyota or Isuzu around 1,2million ... little bit of a difference ????
have a great weekend

Archived