need advice about dispute

Hello,

So recently we contacted some guy to build a wall and put windows and a glass door, now the issue is that when it rains watter is comming inside the house (the door is build just after 3 steps) the guy said that I had to inform him before he build the door that water may come inside..

i have held 50% of the payment and today he came to my house and said if i not pay him right now he will (destroy) his work.

i called the police and we went both to the police station and filled a report i told them i am happy to pay if he fix the watter issue but he said he will not fix it as it was my fault.

the police said as well that they can't really do something and we shall go to the court.

now the question is, i am doing the right think to keep 50% or shall i just pay him and forget about the issue?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is not clear but are you saying the 3 steps high is not high enough to prevent water entering?  If that is the case and you haven't specified a higher level do not understand how you can feel wronged.  You owe builder.

If it is just splash from under door (not flooding) you could also easily fix it with simple and cheap door bottom weather strip (can buy type just slide on).  Save the drama for something more serious would be my advise.  Getting police involved seems way overborad.  

He built what you asked him to do, YOU should have thought about the water before you asked him to build the door .

He did what you asked and you should pay the full amount.

Just find out where the water is coming from and stop the water reaching the building 

Generally building codes (at least in my country) suggest that external timber doors should not have direct exposure to weather. If they are, manufacturers will usually void warranty. For glass sliding doors, they need to be rated to stop water ingress.

If your door is a type allowing water in, it will have other issues in time. If timber, it will start to warp and de-laminate or buckle if solid core. PVC doors will get hit with ozone. If it is a glass sliding door, it is of the wrong rating and you will need to change the extrusion to get it watertight.

I hope that helps.

Was a damp course material installed around the door frame?

47 minutes ago, sanemax said:

He built what you asked him to do, YOU should have thought about the water before you asked him to build the door .

He did what you asked and you should pay the full amount.

Just find out where the water is coming from and stop the water reaching the building 

Thai builders are like most builders anywhere they work to your instructions, in Thailand your the boss, your the higher status person, not the builders place to tell you things, especially not his place to say negative things to you. Sounds illogical but that's the way it is and it's not changing any time soon.

Even if he did think about it, he doesn't know what else you are planning to do (extra work / next phase of a project etc.) which might well mean the issue you have now would never occur.

Never a good move in Thailand or anywhere to get into disputes, revenge from the builders, his family or friends, revenge on your wife and kids. could all be around the corner.

Pay the money and move on and learn.

i can see the OP's point, who would install a door that leaks? Builder should act 'responsibly' (555) this is Thailand.

At present it's a civil law matter so police won't be interested. However, it becomes a criminal law matter if the builder gets violent and damages you or your property.

18 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

i can see the OP's point, who would install a door that leaks? Builder should act 'responsibly' (555) this is Thailand.

Doors are not there to stop water , that isnt what they are there for or supposed to do

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thai builders are like most builders anywhere they work to your instructions, in Thailand your the boss, your the higher status person, not the builders place to tell you things, especially not his place to say negative things to you. Sounds illogical but that's the way it is and it's not changing any time soon.

Even if he did think about it, he doesn't know what else you are planning to do (extra work / next phase of a project etc.) which might well mean the issue you have now would never occur.

Never a good move in Thailand or anywhere to get into disputes, revenge from the builders, his family or friends, revenge on your wife and kids. could all be around the corner.

Pay the money and move on and learn.

he will get 0.00 bath that is for sure until he did a 100% job!

let's face it how stupid can someone be to build a door that has at least 5 millimetres space between the floor ? so welcome cockroaches and more?

3 minutes ago, kralledr said:

let's face it how stupid can someone be to build a door that has at least 5 millimetres space between the floor ? so welcome cockroaches and more?

And you are risking your life over nothing - a door needs space to allow for expansion and settling or it will drag on floor and then you do have a problem.  That is why weatherstripping is sold (everywhere in the world - not a Thai thing).  

10 hours ago, kralledr said:

now the question is, i am doing the right think to keep 50% or shall i just pay him and forget about the issue?

Lots of good advice here; 1) it is not a police matter 2) not a good idea to get involved in a dispute with a Thai.

These 3 little words are my advice (same as others, more or less), GET OVER IT.

You both seem to have made mistakes. Pay him his money and treat this experience as knowledge. Now get somebody else to do it right !

38 minutes ago, kralledr said:

Why did you bother posting this stupid thread and wasting everyone's time?

why i owe him? he said (YOU not rold me it will rain) i forgot it never rain in thailand....

plus under the door is some millimetres space he could easly fix it .

New house build ........

My kitchen back door had water pouring in at the top when rain blew in the right (wrong) direction.

I purchased a self adhesive rubber sealing strip from Lazada for 100bht (it still works 5 years later).

Rain splashing in a door opening is easily fixed (windows maybe not so easy)

1 hour ago, kralledr said:

He has already done his job 100 % .

A 5mm gap around the door is necessary due to expansion , doors expand during the hot weather .

Doors are not supposed to the airtight and they are not supposed to stop water from flowing in

2 hours ago, kralledr said:

let's face it how stupid can someone be to build a door that has at least 5 millimetres space between the floor

Clearance is required. 5mm is acceptable.  Did you specify you needed a door seal when you negotiated the job with the builder?

-How true is the floor surface that the door opens into? After confirming the door is hung vertically and true, measure the distance from bottom of door to top of floor when the door is in different positions to see if there is run off or an uneven floor surface. If it is not a true horizontal floor, the builder needs to allow for the worst case + clearance to do a professional job or the door will have the potential to bind on the floor when opening.

-Who ordered the door. Please post up the specs of the door that were requested at the time of ordering it.

-What does your contract with the builder say?

Send some photos of the door, the clearance and an overall view so we can assess further. But based on your misunderstanding of the need for a clearance gap at the bottom of the door, I'd suggest you high tail it to the builder with a few 'wais' and 'mai pehn rais' and 'kor toorts' along with cash he is owed and a few apology Leos. Then never make contact with him again.

3 hours ago, kralledr said:

I assume you are a butcher a baker or a candlestick maker as you know nothing about carpentry.

3/8" to 1/2" is the universal standard clearance and even if it were half that the rain will still come in unless you fit a storm guard

Go buy one get the guy to fit it pay him and stop wasting people time

10 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

I assume you are a butcher a baker or a candlestick maker as you know nothing about carpentry.

3/8" to 1/2" is the universal standard clearance and even if it were half that the rain will still come in unless you fit a storm guard

Go buy one get the guy to fit it pay him and stop wasting people time

Anyone who still use inches must be very experienced ..........old school ????

He should pay the 4 n 6 pence and give a few shillings tip 

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Anyone who still use inches must be very experienced ..........old school ????

He should pay the 4 n 6 pence and give a few shillings tip 

Or is American, they still can't get with the rest of the world and use metric. The whole world and most of science uses metric but not the average American. Would be nice if it were standard.

Archived