need advice about dispute

30 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Anyone who still use inches must be very experienced ..........old school ????

He should pay the 4 n 6 pence and give a few shillings tip 

Actually those of the digital age seem to understand inches - how often do you see a TV set advertised as 101.5cm?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, kralledr said:

he will get 0.00 bath that is for sure until he did a 100% job!

let's face it how stupid can someone be to build a door that has at least 5 millimetres space between the floor ? so welcome cockroaches and more?

Perhaps the builder was following orders?

Perhaps the house owner supplied the doors and not quite the right size? No details given so who knows any answers to these points.

May not be true that the builder is at fault. Who knows?

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

And you are risking your life over nothing - a door needs space to allow for expansion and settling or it will drag on floor and then you do have a problem.  That is why weatherstripping is sold (everywhere in the world - not a Thai thing).  

5 hours ago, kralledr said:

he will get 0.00 bath that is for sure until he did a 100% job!

let's face it how stupid can someone be to build a door that has at least 5 millimetres space between the floor ? so welcome cockroaches and more?

Perhaps the builder was following orders?

Perhaps the house owner supplied the doors and not quite the right size? No details given so who knows any answers to these points.

May not be true that the builder is at fault. Who knows?

Weather stripping / draught stripping is available in Thailand, over several years I've bought several at HomePro. Super easy to install and it has stopped cold winds getting in through the open / uncontrolled space under the doors.

No matter what gap you have, even tiny gap* at the bottom of the door cockroaches, other vermin and insects will still get in. 

(*not necessarily a good idea, doors can swell in certain climate conditions and then scrape on the floor meaning other problems to adjust the door length to stop the scraping, and also to perhaps repair damage to the actual floor surface.)

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Or is American, they still can't get with the rest of the world and use metric. The whole world and most of science uses metric but not the average American. Would be nice if it were standard.

Hey, America went metric in the 1960s.  Then again around 10 years later.  And a few more times since.  We keep forgetting to use it.  Whenever I hear someone say "meter" I think of the thing in a taxi.

Actually university sciences and engineering are taught in metric, but the moment we leave the classroom it's back to inches.

????Actually as old as I am I when I am designing houses looking at American plans does my head in because they do still use feet and inches

I am up with the times.........and by the way Sanemax half a crown is all it's worth and a tanner for a tip

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Or is American, they still can't get with the rest of the world and use metric. The whole world and most of science uses metric but not the average American. Would be nice if it were standard.

I think it was Churchill who said " Americans usually get it right - after they have tried everything else".

Sorry, couldn't resist.

16 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

i can see the OP's point, who would install a door that leaks? Builder should act 'responsibly' (555) this is Thailand.

At present it's a civil law matter so police won't be interested. However, it becomes a criminal law matter if the builder gets violent and damages you or your property.

Well then why did the house owner asks for a door if it's a place where leakage will obviously occur?

And did the house owner specify what type of door or just tell the builder go ahead and buy / install any door and regardless of quality?

If yes then the house owner only has himself to blame. 

9 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

And you are risking your life over nothing - a door needs space to allow for expansion and settling or it will drag on floor and then you do have a problem.  That is why weatherstripping is sold (everywhere in the world - not a Thai thing).  

I can see weatherstripping for 1 or mm but 5mm seems a bit much. IMO, the builder took advantage and did what was easiest for him and not what is correct.

19 hours ago, kralledr said:

why i owe him? he said (YOU not rold me it will rain) i forgot it never rain in thailand....

plus under the door is some millimetres space he could easly fix it .

your plans I presume,ie, you told him what you wanted and he did it, end of story, your fault.

i forgot some facts :

1) each time he came to check the work progress he had a can of beer in his hand and drank it.

2) he said (it was my (so his) faul that he not thinked about the rain issue

3) he said he will fix it free and would only need a day but first i shall pay him the remaining 55k, i said il give him 25k and once all done the rest he refused why? 

4) i am sure that if i give him all the money he will not comeback to work

5) he did not finish the painting and sandwash job (need to wax it) yet so why i shall pay and pay and pay if he not do a proper work?

6) i not scare him iv told him that he will not get 1 more satang if he not finish the work.

7) iv spend over 500k to make improvements the last 2 month's and i never got any issue since it's just this guy.

you all tell me to pay him, but i would likd to know how all of you will manage this if you get in the same situation ????

Please post some pictures, that would make everyone's life so much easier to understand this, also does the door open inwards or outwards ? 

Come on, you asked for help & advice, people are trying to help but you are not helping yourself, I think we all realise that English is not your first language - so "a picture paints a thousand words".

43 minutes ago, kralledr said:

you all tell me to pay him, but i would likd to know how all of you will manage this if you get in the same situation ????

Mate don’t pay him. Sometimes you need to be cruel to be kind.

Next time he will use his brain. You are helping him become a better man.

A lot of the posters here would back down because they are intimidated by thai men. They are only small, nothing to worry about.

Dont back down. Why should you?

Just make sure your health insurance is up to date. 

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

49 minutes ago, kralledr said:

i forgot some facts :

1) each time he came to check the work progress he had a can of beer in his hand and drank it.

3) he said he will fix it free and would only need a day but first i shall pay him the remaining 55k, i said il give him 25k and once all done the rest he refused why? 

5) he did not finish the painting and sandwash job (need to wax it) yet so why i shall pay and pay and pay if he not do a proper work?

6) i not scare him iv told him that he will not get 1 more satang if he not finish the work.

7) iv spend over 500k to make improvements the last 2 month's and i never got any issue since it's just this guy.

6) i not scare him iv told him that he will not get 1 more satang if he not finish the work.”

Do you have any idea how cheap and easy it would be for him to get a hitman to eliminate you? Or do you really want to make headlines with you dead body in one of the next TVF newsletters?... This is not Europe and things don’t work the way you THINK they SHOULD! Just cough up the money and charge it to experience. Think of the 7 wh-questions to guide you in most life situations: 1) What? 2) Why? 3) Who? 4) Where? 5) When? 6) HOW? 7) How much?

he's a Thai and you are a foreigner, lost case, paid and move on or trouble will come your way, been there done that and the money I hold didn't cover the trouble

4 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

It seems to me that Kralledr is not looking for any advice at all.

He is looking for people to agree with his standpoint.

no i don't look for people who agree...

The fact is you all say pay him.. i am 100% sure if you where in a similar situation you wouls not pay.

LOL a hitman as i said you guys watching too much tv ^^

and he not finishing the rest of the work so why shall i pay for a 80% done job?

iv told him how to fix it, it's a 2 hours matter for him..

30 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Mate don’t pay him. Sometimes you need to be cruel to be kind.

Next time he will use his brain. You are helping him become a better man.

A lot of the posters here would back down because they are intimidated by thai men. They are only small, nothing to worry about.

Dont back down. Why should you?

Just make sure your health insurance is up to date. 

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

After you clarified your 'Elvis' post, I'm beginning to see the humour.

You're quite right, the op should 'stand up, be a man' & pack a hospital bag.

:laugh:

1 minute ago, kralledr said:

no i don't look for people who agree...

The fact is you all say pay him.. i am 100% sure if you where in a similar situation you wouls not pay.

LOL a hitman as i said you guys watching too much tv ^^

Don't pay him, teach him a lesson that Farangi are not to be messed with.

I never mentioned hitmen.

I find that a bit far fetched. I would not find it far fetched for them to resort to dirty and sneaky ways to pay you back such as damaging your car or house or any other options open to them etc.

You came on here and made a post asking what other members would do in your situation. They have answered you but now you wish to get into an argument with them because their views differ to yours.

It is pretty pointless asking advice and then giving all the reasons why you have no intention of paying, your mind is obviously already made up.

You were just wanting reassurances on here, which you didn't get.

1 hour ago, kralledr said:

i forgot some facts :

And now you reveal many other aspects / facts about the whole silly story, why didn't you say all this before so TV members have a total / complete understanding of your situation.

A can of beer in his hand, not really a strong point, how many farang have a can of beer or several when they are doing anything? 

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And now you reveal many other aspects / facts about the whole silly story, why didn't you say all this before so TV members have a total / complete understanding of your situation.

A can of beer in his hand, not really a strong point, how many farang have a can of beer or several when they are doing anything? 

Yes sorry, i not told it clear enough you are right!

i did offer him the money i had it in cash in hand iv told him i give you now 25k fix the issue then i pay the rest

(he did offer to fix it for me but wanted all cash upfront) if he is serious he would accecpt half and the rest when done.

is not that i am the one who like to cause trouble i did offer to slove this issue..

53 minutes ago, faraday said:

Don't pay him, teach him a lesson that Farangi are not to be messed with.

Stupid comment. Many farang living in Thailand make their own problems, expect that Thailand should adjust to their silly notions. Ever heard of adult behavior, adult balanced discussion with good logical.

"... teach him a lesson that Farangi are not to be messed with."  I could have applied your attitude to many farang who rented from me but were less than adult, less than balanced in their discussion. Example:

Point 1: Farang couple (he's a European from the eastern seaboard, his farang wife is a serious alcoholic, drinks several bottles of neat gin every day) rent my luxury villa on Jomtien beach. First rental payment already overdue by 3 days, I call, farang wife tells me that it's Thai law that you don't have to make rent payments on the due date, they must wait until the property owner calls and asks for payment. 

Point 2: It's already written in the rental agreement that they will pay the full rental amount by ATM transfer on the due date and they must pay whatever bank charges are involved. (ATM payment was their request.)

After I call her 24 hrs later I get a part payment by ATM transfer. I call the farang wife, she says 'It's Thai law tenants can pay in 2 installment, 2nd payment can be 14 days later and landlord must pay all bank changes for the second payment'.

After demanding and getting the the full payment, on the 2nd rental payment date she tries a whole new story.

I called the multinational the farang husband works for, turns out they are inundated with complaints about the farang engineer and his european wife on numerous situations and on further checking they discover the same situation has occurred before in other postings for this couple, company tells the farang to get packed up and they have booked tickets for him and his wife to fly out within a further 48 hours.

Farangs' immediate boss calls me and politely requests that I don't allow them a second chance, he reveals the farang engineer and his wife are causing numerous problems with other expat couples / families, and the engineer is producing nothing in terms of his contracted work.

They leave Thailand, an hour later the HR manager calls me and explains he has engaged a high quality cleaning company to come the next morning and do a thorough cleaning (which was needed) and the cleaning crew supervisor will check thoroughly what bills or whatever might be outstanding. Turns out the farang wife had borrowed 2,000Baht cash from the company van driver employed to take her shopping, never repaid and more... 

48 minutes ago, kralledr said:

Yes sorry, i not told it clear enough you are right!

i did offer him the money i had it in cash in hand iv told him i give you now 25k fix the issue then i pay the rest

(he did offer to fix it for me but wanted all cash upfront) if he is serious he would accecpt half and the rest when done.

is not that i am the one who like to cause trouble i did offer to slove this issue..

Do you know that many Thai folks (and same in all countries) have never been paid what was promised, maybe your contractor or his buddies have had a bad experience before... Maybe when you started offering 50% or whatever he's already convinced it's a farang trick. 

Do you know that it's fairly common for farang hotel guests (farang and other nationalities) to book all meals to their room number then disappear early morning or whenever, 100% of room charges (perhaps less a small deposit already paid) and meals never paid, plus even disappear with the bar fridge, hot water pot, bed linen and blankets.... And on investigation the ID the guest offered is fake or stolen....

Why should your contractor trust you?

I'm aware of a situation with a wealthy Indian tour group who borrowed the mobile phones of several maids at a 5 star hotel in Thailand (they claimed; cannot get a SIM card to call to India), racked up big call charges and threw away the phones in a cesspit at a PTT station well away from the hotel concerned. After several serious complaints from the team of maids and their hotel the police seriously interrogated the Indian tour guide who was worried he would lose his chance to work in Thailand (and he did, he went to jail). The tour guide revealed all the details and the phones were recovered from the cespitt. 

Archived