need advice about dispute

22 hours ago, kralledr said:

now the question is, i am doing the right think to keep 50% or shall i just pay him and forget about the issue?

If its a relative affordable amount, just pay him – from you various posts he did the major job, only some small details left – and find someone else to fix it; you say its some millimeters that are easy to fix.

You might have (much) more headache from not paying him.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Do you know that many Thai folks (and same in all countries) have never been paid what was promised, maybe your contractor or his buddies have had a bad experience before... Maybe when you started offering 50% or whatever he's already convinced it's a farang trick. 

Do you know that it's fairly common for farang hotel guests (farang and other nationalities) to book all meals to their room number then disappear early morning or whenever, 100% of room charges (perhaps less a small deposit already paid) and meals never paid, plus even disappear with the bar fridge, hot water pot, bed linen and blankets.... And on investigation the ID the guest offered is fake or stolen....

Why should your contractor trust you?

Maybe because he earned over 100k so far from me and iv always paid on milestones... and it's not only the door as i sais there are still 3 tasks not fully done.

Does he think il put my house in my backpack and run away?

1 minute ago, khunPer said:

If its a relative affordable amount, just pay him – from you various posts he did the major job, only some small details left – and find someone else to fix it; you say its some millimeters that are easy to fix.

You might have (much) more headache from not paying him.

The paint job allready paid 6k he is not doing it as well so why i shall risk 55k?

the windows are not properly done (hard to lock them) little details yes maybe..

29 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Stupid comment. Many farang living in Thailand make their own problems, expect that Thailand should adjust to their silly notions. Ever heard of adult behavior, adult balanced discussion with good logical.

"... teach him a lesson that Farangi are not to be messed with."  I could have applied your attitude to many farang who rented from me but were less than adult, less than balanced in their discussion. Example:

Point 1: Farang couple (he's a European from the eastern seaboard, his farang wife is a serious alcoholic, drinks several bottles of neat gin every day) rent my luxury villa on Jomtien beach. First rental payment already overdue by 3 days, I call, farang wife tells me that it's Thai law that you don't have to make rent payments on the due date, they must wait until the property owner calls and asks for payment. 

Point 2: It's already written in the rental agreement that they will pay the full rental amount by ATM transfer on the due date and they must pay whatever bank charges are involved. (ATM payment was their request.)

After I call her 24 hrs later I get a part payment by ATM transfer. I call the farang wife, she says 'It's Thai law tenants can pay in 2 installment, 2nd payment can be 14 days later and landlord must pay all bank changes for the second payment'.

After demanding and getting the the full payment, on the 2nd rental payment date she tries a whole new story.

I called the multinational the farang husband works for, turns out they are inundated with complaints about the farang engineer and his european wife on numerous situations and on further checking they discover the same situation has occurred before in other postings for this couple, company tells the farang to get packed up and they have booked tickets for him and his wife to fly out within a further 48 hours.

Farangs' immediate boss calls me and politely requests that I don't allow them a second chance, he reveals the farang engineer and his wife are causing numerous problems with other expat couples / families, and the engineer is producing nothing in terms of his contracted work.

They leave Thailand, an hour later the HR manager calls me and explains he has engaged a high quality cleaning company to come the next morning and do a thorough cleaning (which was needed) and the cleaning crew supervisor will check thoroughly what bills or whatever might be outstanding. Turns out the farang wife had borrowed 2,000Baht cash from the company van driver employed to take her shopping, never repaid and more... 

Oh dear....my 'tongue in cheek' comment went right over your head, didn't it.

Never mind, I'm sure you feel better for venting your spleen.

4 minutes ago, kralledr said:

The paint job allready paid 6k he is not doing it as well so why i shall risk 55k?

the windows are not properly done (hard to lock them) little details yes maybe..

So before you hired this guy did you ask to see and inspect previous work he had completed and ask the home owners involved whether they were satisfied with his work?

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Or is American, they still can't get with the rest of the world and use metric. The whole world and most of science uses metric but not the average American. Would be nice if it were standard.

i thought the reason guys use metric is because it makes 6 inches sound a lot longer ......

12 hours ago, kralledr said:

he will get 0.00 bath that is for sure until he did a 100% job!

let's face it how stupid can someone be to build a door that has at least 5 millimetres space between the floor ? so welcome cockroaches and more?

That is so commonplace in Thailand I can't count the number of times I have seen it.

My suggestion is to pay the balance, then suggest a compromise that for a small amount of money he will fix the problem. That assumes that it can be fixed for a small amount of money, and the relationship is not too sour at this point.

Otherwise, hire someone new to fix it.

But not paying for the work, or taking this to court, that is nonsense.

If he did the work, you must pay.

If you have issue with the work, take him to court.

Document he will not fix his work.

Document by pics n videos the deficient work.

You can get it fixed by a competent contractor, then sue him for the amount.

Its like go o a restaurant and eating the steak then saying you are not paying cuz u didn’t like it.

You must pay.

No matter what country you are in, always have a clear concise contract

2 hours ago, kralledr said:

Yes sorry, i not told it clear enough you are right!

i did offer him the money i had it in cash in hand iv told him i give you now 25k fix the issue then i pay the rest

(he did offer to fix it for me but wanted all cash upfront) if he is serious he would accecpt half and the rest when done.

is not that i am the one who like to cause trouble i did offer to slove this issue..

4 posts not one mention of any other problems until you are told the guy has done nothing wrong with your door and how to fix you problem.  Then suddenly there are more problems........55,000 baht that's enough to pay 5 guys for 22 days work to fix a door and do a bit of painting. You are a joke.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Stupid comment. Many farang living in Thailand make their own problems, expect that Thailand should adjust to their silly notions. Ever heard of adult behavior, adult balanced discussion with good logical.

"... teach him a lesson that Farangi are not to be messed with."  I could have applied your attitude to many farang who rented from me but were less than adult, less than balanced in their discussion. Example:

Point 1: Farang couple (he's a European from the eastern seaboard, his farang wife is a serious alcoholic, drinks several bottles of neat gin every day) rent my luxury villa on Jomtien beach. First rental payment already overdue by 3 days, I call, farang wife tells me that it's Thai law that you don't have to make rent payments on the due date, they must wait until the property owner calls and asks for payment. 

Point 2: It's already written in the rental agreement that they will pay the full rental amount by ATM transfer on the due date and they must pay whatever bank charges are involved. (ATM payment was their request.)

After I call her 24 hrs later I get a part payment by ATM transfer. I call the farang wife, she says 'It's Thai law tenants can pay in 2 installment, 2nd payment can be 14 days later and landlord must pay all bank changes for the second payment'.

After demanding and getting the the full payment, on the 2nd rental payment date she tries a whole new story.

I called the multinational the farang husband works for, turns out they are inundated with complaints about the farang engineer and his european wife on numerous situations and on further checking they discover the same situation has occurred before in other postings for this couple, company tells the farang to get packed up and they have booked tickets for him and his wife to fly out within a further 48 hours.

Farangs' immediate boss calls me and politely requests that I don't allow them a second chance, he reveals the farang engineer and his wife are causing numerous problems with other expat couples / families, and the engineer is producing nothing in terms of his contracted work.

They leave Thailand, an hour later the HR manager calls me and explains he has engaged a high quality cleaning company to come the next morning and do a thorough cleaning (which was needed) and the cleaning crew supervisor will check thoroughly what bills or whatever might be outstanding. Turns out the farang wife had borrowed 2,000Baht cash from the company van driver employed to take her shopping, never repaid and more... 

he was joking...!

On 5/14/2019 at 9:26 PM, kralledr said:

why i owe him? he said (YOU not rold me it will rain) i forgot it never rain in thailand....

plus under the door is some millimetres space he could easly fix it .

You must have told him where and how you wanted the door, right?

How can you blame him now for any water that comes in, if the door's actually too low? 

14 hours ago, kralledr said:

he will get 0.00 bath that is for sure until he did a 100% job!

let's face it how stupid can someone be to build a door that has at least 5 millimetres space between the floor ? so welcome cockroaches and more?

Each door has to have some space, otherwise, you couldn't open, or close it. But I guess you're talking about the door frame.

You might soon be doorless, are you then happier?

BTW, cockroaches eat themselves through walls.

Attached: Cockroach Manual 

Cockroach Manual.pdf

15 hours ago, BestB said:

Another option is to see how much extra he wants to fix it to your liking and maybe pay the extra which could be cheaper than going to court or loosing 50% you already paid 

I believe the expression you're looking is "throw good money after bad". I think it's better to not extend the relationship with the Thai builder any longer than it has to be. Once the rest is paid, say your goodbyes and find someone else to take over the project. 

5 hours ago, Dek Somboon said:

Do you have any idea how cheap and easy it would be for him to get a hitman to eliminate you?

do you have any idea how  many people ACTUALLY resort to this,  very VERY  few, honestly  talk about hyping  something  up.

I  know a  guy who had a  house  built, crap  builder, went to court, the judge threw  the case  out after the guy showed the photos of the crap work, ie  the  judge agreed  with the farang.

8 hours ago, kralledr said:

i forgot some facts :

1) each time he came to check the work progress he had a can of beer in his hand and drank it.

2) he said (it was my (so his) faul that he not thinked about the rain issue

3) he said he will fix it free and would only need a day but first i shall pay him the remaining 55k, i said il give him 25k and once all done the rest he refused why? 

4) i am sure that if i give him all the money he will not comeback to work

5) he did not finish the painting and sandwash job (need to wax it) yet so why i shall pay and pay and pay if he not do a proper work?

6) i not scare him iv told him that he will not get 1 more satang if he not finish the work.

7) iv spend over 500k to make improvements the last 2 month's and i never got any issue since it's just this guy.

you all tell me to pay him, but i would likd to know how all of you will manage this if you get in the same situation ????

Basically, we have all told you what we would do in the situation, pay him yet you don't want to take our advice.

16 hours ago, rumak said:

i thought the reason guys use metric is because it makes 6 inches sound a lot longer ......

My girl is convinced 150mm = 9 inches... That's right, isn't it? ????

In a former life I used to work with computer driven manufacturing equipment. Working on the code was terrible on these machines. It used Imperial metric. Imperial with decimal points... Only in America.

Just a small update :

We called the builder to find an agreement and he said : I not need your money and hung up....

Iv contacted my laywer about it and he said i can find another builder to finish the work...

I guess the builder have some serious mental and alcohol issues^^

Archived