Student crushed to death by trailer-truck in Phayao

webfact

Student crushed to death by trailer-truck in Phayao

By The Nation

4935877-696x394.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

A 19-year-old female student from Phayao was hit and killed by a trailer-truck on Tuesday morning while riding her motorcycle to report for study at a local university, police said.

The accident occured at an intersection on the Phayao-Chiang Rai road in Tambon Wiang of Phayao’s Mueang district at 8.25am.

The deceased was identified as Sirikanya Simuang. 

Her grandmother, Lamduan Suwansasom, 59, who was riding pillion, suffered minor injuries.

The driver of the trailer-truck, Prawit Hinparn, had waited for police to arrive at the scene.

He told police officers that when his truck was approaching the intersection on a rather narrow stretch of road, the girl had tried to overtake his vehicle to the inside. 

His trailer swayed to the left and hit the motorcycle, causing the bike to topple over, with its rider being crushed under the trailer’s wheels, he said.

Sirikanya’s body was sent for autopsy to the provincial hospital.

Prawit has been charged with reckless driving causing death.

Lamduan said her granddaughter had been riding to a local university with her to report for study after passing an entrance exam.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30369380

thenation_logo.jpg

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Almost daily occurrence, wait for the nations schools to all open and watch the figures rise more.

Yeah, I was surprised to read it was a 19 year old student.

Next week the news will be 5 and 6 year olds, given the amount of morons out there that put their young children on a scooter on Thai roads.

I understand that bikes here should stay on the left, and that the police think it is ok for them to pass vehicles on the inside, but, if she was passing a double trailer lorry on the inside, on a narrow road how is the lorry driver responsible for the accident?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

His trailer swayed to the left and hit the motorcycle, causing the bike to topple over, with its rider being crushed under the trailer’s wheels, he said.

Sounds like the driver moved to the left as he overtook the motorcycle, knocking the bike down and running over the girl.  Tragic .. ????

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I understand that bikes here should stay on the left, and that the police think it is ok for them to pass vehicles on the inside, but, if she was passing a double trailer lorry on the inside, on a narrow road how is the lorry driver responsible for the accident?

It would seem that he isn't... however, the charge of 'reckless driving causing death' is automatic when a death is involved, it's just part of Thai law. 

After my previous post I saw the video online from a cctv camera. The lorry and trailer overtook the bike at a junction. It appears he did not give any distance between him and the bike. She was trapped between the kerb and the lorry and went under the wheels of the lorry, so, he is definitely the one in the wrong.....

R.I.P. Young Lady.....:sad:

All these people making up scenarios,she did this , this happened,  etc etc  A young lady died ... She has no life now and her poor grandmother and her family are devastated.

R.i.P

Archived