Brexit talks doomed? Labour concerned May's successor could ditch any deal

webfact

Brexit talks doomed? Labour concerned May's successor could ditch any deal

2019-05-14T134238Z_1_LYNXNPEF4D10J_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Britain's opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn leaves his home, as Brexit uncertainty continues, in London, Britain April 8, 2019. REUTERS/Simon Dawson

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's opposition Labour Party has done all it can to reach a Brexit compromise with Prime Minister Theresa May but is deeply concerned a future Conservative leader could renege on any promises made by the current government.

Labour's second most powerful man, finance chief John McDonnell, said a customs union was absolutely key for the party and there was not yet a deal.

"We haven't seen the significant shift yet that we require to be able to support a deal," McDonnell said. "We are not near what we want."

When asked by Reuters if the talks were doomed, McDonnell said: "We have gone into them in good faith and we've done everything we possibly can to try to reach a traditional British compromise."

He said a letter from former British ministers including Boris Johnson - who could be the next leader of the Conservative Party - demanding that May refuse to agree a post-Brexit customs union had not helped.

"What we are all concerned about is the letter from Boris Johnson which said one he wouldn't accept a customs union, one of our key elements, and secondly that if he was leader, and he may well be, that he would overturn any deal that we'd agreed."

"That doesn't inspire confidence in the ability to secure a deal that lasts longer than a couple of months," McDonnell said.

McDonnell compared the Brexit negotiations with May's government to trying to make a contract with a company which was about to go into administration.

May, who has offered to quit if parliament accepts her Brexit deal, opened cross-party talks with the Labour Party more than a month ago after parliament rejected her European Union withdrawal deal three times.

The discussions with Labour are a last resort for May, whose party’s deep divisions over Brexit have so far stopped her getting approval for an exit agreement and left the world’s fifth largest economy in prolonged political limbo.

(Reporting by Andrew MacAskill and Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-15

Given that Alexander Boris (man of the people) de Pfeffel Johnson, the favorite to replace Theresa May has outright stated he will not be held to any deal with Labour then there can be no other conclusion that a deal isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

Theresa May has said if she can’t get a deal with Labour she’ll call a second referendum - Do it!

That's it, keep giving the Tories more rope. Somewhere along this road one of Ms Mayhem's losing votes needs to be declared one of confidence. Then a new house can take a stab at it. It's either that or jumping off the no deal cliff.

Given that Alexander Boris (man of the people) de Pfeffel Johnson, the favorite to replace Theresa May has outright stated he will not be held to any deal with Labour then there can be no other conclusion that a deal isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

Theresa May has said if she can’t get a deal with Labour she’ll call a second referendum - Do it!
Do not think she will do it..2 reasons..

1..The LEAVE vote will win EASILY

2..I think she's getting the Red Card by end of this month.
People just look at anything remotely connected to the conservative party and start to urinate themselves laughing.

How long do you think senior conservative figures and financial backers will put with her pigs breakfast nonsence??

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, pegman said:

That's it, keep giving the Tories more rope. Somewhere along this road one of Ms Mayhem's losing votes needs to be declared one of confidence. Then a new house can take a stab at it. It's either that or jumping off the no deal cliff.

We'll be fine on WTO or Canada +++  when this nightmare is over ????

Related image

As someone from a neighboring country it's amazing to see the similarities of UK and Thai politicians. 

Nobody wants to lose face 

Nobody would like to lose face his seat 

Everybody clinging to power 

Everybody thinks of his own benefit first 

Everything of course under the cloak of democracy doing the best for your country. 

I said it's amazing but I will change it to disgusting, pathetic, poor. 

As someone from a neighboring country it's amazing to see the similarities of UK and Thai politicians. 
Nobody wants to lose face 
Nobody would like to lose face his seat 
Everybody clinging to power 
Everybody thinks of his own benefit first 
Everything of course under the cloak of democracy doing the best for your country. 
I said it's amazing but I will change it to disgusting, pathetic, poor. 

Are your eire politicians all oh so squeaky clean 5 star material??

8 hours ago, webfact said:

May, who has offered to quit if parliament accepts her Brexit deal, opened cross-party talks with the Labour Party more than a month ago after parliament rejected her European Union withdrawal deal three times.

After three rejections already, why does she feel the need to promise quitting "if" parliament accepts her deal? when her Surrender Treaty is not accepted again even after plotting with Liebour, shes dead meat. It would hardly be an approval of her current tenure when the deal is kicked out for a fourth time, but will she try and spin that as a reason to stay?

She needs to be removed asap by her own party and her dodgy deal with Comrade Corbyn ditched by her successor at the earliest opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

But then..eire is but an eu satellite subsidy junkie outpostemoji6.png

Since Brexit they’ve been doing rather well mopping up formally UK based Financial Services (AKA ‘The Jewels  in the Crown of the UK economy).

Don’t believe me, ask Rees-Mogg.

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Since Brexit they’ve been doing rather well mopping up formally UK based Financial Services (AKA ‘The Jewels  in the Crown of the UK economy).

Don’t believe me, ask Rees-Mogg.

He was busy but if you mean Somerset, it is still based in London and Singapore. Not Ireland.

https://somersetcm.com/contact-us/

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well, they got a compass and steering the ship into the right direction together with an armada of 27.

No zig zag as on your island 

Just 26 strung together line astern and towed along by the SS Deutschland.

16 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

So what..they are subsidised by UK and German taxpayers money thro the brussels atmemoji6.png

Not any more. You obviously are ignorant of the Marshall plan (adopted by the EU) that providing economic support to poorer European countries to bring them up to a self-sufficiency level is a very good medium & long-term strategy to open more markets for the donors to trade with.

I don't expect no-deal leavers to understand anything further than the end of their noses especially with the NI-Ireland border issue.

Not any more. You obviously are ignorant of the Marshall plan (adopted by the EU) that providing economic support to poorer European countries to bring them up to a self-sufficiency level is a very good medium & long-term strategy to open more markets for the donors to trade with.
I don't expect no-deal leavers to understand anything further than the end of their noses especially with the NI-Ireland border issue.

Good..good..means they at lobg last have to financially stand on their own two feet..
NOT BEFORE TIME
Re the border issue..me..couldn't care less..hard border..no hard border..life will go on I am sure.
Only the eeeeuuuu are making an issue out of it.
Wait till next month when a new UK PM is in No 10..obviously a hard line BREXITEER.
Think the eu will become rather.." sweaty bettys "
[emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]tapatalk_1557491069942.jpegtapatalk_1555822555217.jpegtapatalk_1556504588916.jpeg

11 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Good..good..means they at lobg last have to financially stand on their own two feet..
NOT BEFORE TIME
Re the border issue..me..couldn't care less..hard border..no hard border..life will go on I am sure.
Only the eeeeuuuu are making an issue out of it.
Wait till next month when a new UK PM is in No 10..obviously a hard line BREXITEER.
Think the eu will become rather.." sweaty bettys "
emoji2.pngemoji2.pngemoji2.pngtapatalk_1557491069942.jpegtapatalk_1555822555217.jpegtapatalk_1556504588916.jpeg

At least you are honest about not caring and your ignorance. Now if only no-deal leavers owned up to their dishonesty about the vote to leave, which didn't specify what type of Brexit they were voting for.

3 minutes ago, khunken said:

At least you are honest about not caring and your ignorance. Now if only no-deal leavers owned up to their dishonesty about the vote to leave, which didn't specify what type of Brexit they were voting for.

There is only one type of leave, but there are indeed many kinds of remain.

1 minute ago, vogie said:

That's just what I mean about dishonesty. There are multiple variations of leave with a deal & leave with no deal.

7 minutes ago, khunken said:

That's just what I mean about dishonesty. There are multiple variations of leave with a deal & leave with no deal.

Anything that ties us to the EU is most definately not leave.

When article 50 was triggered, by law we had two years to agree to a deal, if a deal wasn't agreed we left the EU by default, vis a vis, a no deal. It is only our weak kneed politicians who have removed it from the table, they seem very eager to capitulate, however it still remains an option and would take a change of law to remove it. Suffice to say if the EU doesn't want to extend the period again in Oct, the only options are, are a no deal and remaining, and I don't think that overal parliament has an appetite for that one.

17 minutes ago, khunken said:
24 minutes ago, vogie said:

I think the point is that Remain is sold to us as 'keeping the status quo'.  However, as the EU is always evolving, with those in power seeking ever closer union, remaining in the EU could have all sorts of outcomes. 

So, listening to the debate on LBC this morning, re Mrs May putting the withdrawal agreement back to Parliament (for the 4th time?) next month. 

Apparently she's thinking that after the Tories and Labour get destroyed by the Brexit party in the EU elections, MPs from the main two parties will be so shell shocked and frightened that they'll vote the w/d agreement through.

Why the <deleted> is she still our PM? I'm seriously starting to think she needs psychiatric help...

2 hours ago, malagateddy said:

So what..they are subsidised by UK and German taxpayers money thro the brussels atmemoji6.png

If you're a member of a club you have to pay for the membership and the benefit. 

UK wants to have all advantages without being a member and without any payments. 

How rediculous is this? 

7 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

If you're a member of a club you have to pay for the membership and the benefit. 

UK wants to have all advantages without being a member and without any payments. 

How rediculous is this? 

If I joined a golf club and the committee surreptitiously turned it into a rugby club, and on the day of the monthly medal I turned up on the first tee and found a set of rugby posts there, I would leave tout suite, as I'm sure that most of the other members would too. Not another penny would leave my palm to such unscrupulous organization.

Archived