BANGKOK 20 June 2019 08:46
webfact

Brexit talks doomed? Labour concerned May's successor could ditch any deal

Brexit talks doomed? Labour concerned May's successor could ditch any deal

2019-05-14T134238Z_1_LYNXNPEF4D10J_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Britain's opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn leaves his home, as Brexit uncertainty continues, in London, Britain April 8, 2019. REUTERS/Simon Dawson

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's opposition Labour Party has done all it can to reach a Brexit compromise with Prime Minister Theresa May but is deeply concerned a future Conservative leader could renege on any promises made by the current government.

Labour's second most powerful man, finance chief John McDonnell, said a customs union was absolutely key for the party and there was not yet a deal.

"We haven't seen the significant shift yet that we require to be able to support a deal," McDonnell said. "We are not near what we want."

When asked by Reuters if the talks were doomed, McDonnell said: "We have gone into them in good faith and we've done everything we possibly can to try to reach a traditional British compromise."

He said a letter from former British ministers including Boris Johnson - who could be the next leader of the Conservative Party - demanding that May refuse to agree a post-Brexit customs union had not helped.

"What we are all concerned about is the letter from Boris Johnson which said one he wouldn't accept a customs union, one of our key elements, and secondly that if he was leader, and he may well be, that he would overturn any deal that we'd agreed."

"That doesn't inspire confidence in the ability to secure a deal that lasts longer than a couple of months," McDonnell said.

McDonnell compared the Brexit negotiations with May's government to trying to make a contract with a company which was about to go into administration.

May, who has offered to quit if parliament accepts her Brexit deal, opened cross-party talks with the Labour Party more than a month ago after parliament rejected her European Union withdrawal deal three times.

The discussions with Labour are a last resort for May, whose party’s deep divisions over Brexit have so far stopped her getting approval for an exit agreement and left the world’s fifth largest economy in prolonged political limbo.

(Reporting by Andrew MacAskill and Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-15

55 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Theresa May has said if she can’t get a deal with Labour she’ll call a second referendum - Do it!

When did that happen?

• Like 1

That's it, keep giving the Tories more rope. Somewhere along this road one of Ms Mayhem's losing votes needs to be declared one of confidence. Then a new house can take a stab at it. It's either that or jumping off the no deal cliff.

• Like 2

As someone from a neighboring country it's amazing to see the similarities of UK and Thai politicians. 
Nobody wants to lose face 
Nobody would like to lose face his seat 
Everybody clinging to power 
Everybody thinks of his own benefit first 
Everything of course under the cloak of democracy doing the best for your country. 
I said it's amazing but I will change it to disgusting, pathetic, poor. 

Are your eire politicians all oh so squeaky clean 5 star material??

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well, they got a compass and steering the ship into the right direction together with an armada of 27.
No zig zag as on your island 
But then..eire is but an eu satellite subsidy junkie outpost

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Since Brexit they’ve been doing rather well mopping up formally UK based Financial Services (AKA ‘The Jewels  in the Crown of the UK economy).

Don’t believe me, ask Rees-Mogg.
So what..they are subsidised by UK and German taxpayers money thro the brussels atm

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Since Brexit they’ve been doing rather well mopping up formally UK based Financial Services (AKA ‘The Jewels  in the Crown of the UK economy).

Don’t believe me, ask Rees-Mogg.

He was busy but if you mean Somerset, it is still based in London and Singapore. Not Ireland.

https://somersetcm.com/contact-us/

• Like 1