Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

webfact

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, fordguy61mi said:

If you can’t afford health insurance in Thailand then you can’t afford to be in Thailand. (Which apparently a lot of these commenters on here fall into).

This medical insurance scam has little to do with being able to afford to stay in Thailand. Many understand often more than not insurance is a scam nothing more. The best solution is to have a mandatory amount in a Thai bank so when the time comes you have it. The rates will make it more difficult for some to stay but 400,000 baht is a fair amount to ask for in case of a problem. Making health insurance mandatory at such high rates is a scam. You have no idea what you are talking about. Please extract head from ass and see the light.

13 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Would be great to see the source of this voting.

Well, since it's facebook and only the most ardent of junta bootlickers would want to give their tracking marks to a company that can easily give them to the "government", it only makes sense all votes would be 100% in favor of whatever the junta wants. Thailand 100%, khrap.

20 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

This medical insurance scam has little to do with being able to afford to stay in Thailand. Many understand often more than not insurance is a scam nothing more. The best solution is to have a mandatory amount in a Thai bank so when the time comes you have it. The rates will make it more difficult for some to stay but 400,000 baht is a fair amount to ask for in case of a problem. Making health insurance mandatory at such high rates is a scam. You have no idea what you are talking about. Please extract head from ass and see the light.

so it's ok that people who have a health problem and use up these 400k will be forced to leave afterwards

9 minutes ago, manarak said:

so it's ok that people who have a health problem and use up these 400k will be forced to leave afterwards

The insurance only covers 400,000 baht. And its likely the insurance will not pay the claim . Then what? You just blew all that money yearly that could have gone towards the payment to the hospital. Better to have a mandatory amount in the bank and let them have a choice as to what they do.

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

that's how it worked for me and my family as well, got to the public hospital, wife had minor surgery, stayed over night, next day was informed that we could check out, nurse handed me the invoice and told me to go to the cashier and return with receipt, need to give her copy (cashier gave me 3 colored receipts 1 for the nurse 1 for the pharmacy and 1 for us) did that she called some office to confirm and we were able to leave, if payment was not made we couldn't have left the room

They took me to the ATM with an IV in my arm to make my daily cash payment.  I really don't see how I'd have escaped without my SAS team. 

12 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

The insurance only covers 400,000 baht. And its likely the insurance will not pay the claim . Then what? You just blew all that money yearly that could have gone towards the payment to the hospital. Better to have a mandatory amount in the bank and let them have a choice as to what they do.

how much is the cost of the insurance?

and how much can it be put to use for normal medical expenses?

How about this scenario, guys...

Wife watching elderly husband's long-promised nest egg getting gobbled up by sky-high medical insurance premiums, realizes at the rate this is going she'll be a penniless widow in just a few years. Hmmm....what's a girl to do??? Pillow over the head time, baybeeee!

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

“The government has found that foreigners who are in their elder years staying on this type of visa have more health issues than other foreigners staying on other types of visas,’ Dr Nutthawut said."

In summary , if you are over sixty , or  have a  history of serious health issues,

Best make you way home, lad .

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Wife watching elderly husband's long-promised nest egg getting gobbled up by sky-high medical insurance premiums, realizes at the rate this is going she'll be a penniless widow in just a few years. Hmmm....what's a girl to do??? Pillow over the head time, baybeeee!

sad and very true in some cases while the insurance goons are laughing all the way to the bank

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

OMG ,  i have been thinking the same thing myself .

Family and brother , not like me anymore. 

Thought i  had found a good one, lucky ..

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

They took me to the ATM with an IV in my arm to make my daily cash payment.  I really don't see how I'd have escaped without my SAS team. 

Never disclose you PIN, to your next of kin.

You will be gone , sooner than you expected .

Having said that , i have found a good one, just luck..

Famous last words. 555

Plain and simple. This is open bullying of seniors. 50 year olds and up on long stay visas are well off and fully capable of funding themselves (reason for 800K or 65K/month requirement).   The risk is with the short timers who are more likely to have an accident and run without paying. So if they want to mandate health insurance it should be everyone! 

Insurance is a scam under any circumstance as proven by their balance sheets, yet very necessary. It would be interesting to see a new insurance plan that returns a percentage if no claims are used. Difficult to set up a fair system since those who remain healthy have to put enough into the system to cover those who have health issues and cover any "reasonable" profit for the insurance company.

Wow - they did it again. After the fact finding committee found out that there were unpaid hospital bills caused by foreigners in total of 5฿ each per year - less than a pack of Mama - there was reason enough to make health insurance compulsory. But first only for those who cannot vote easily with their feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

12 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

You did'nt read or understand what i wrote.

I don't see how you cannot pay your way out of hospital, be it A&E or the operating theatre.

You pay as you go, as i have done, the going rate, and more than a local.

So how is that costing the Thai tax payer money?

Oh and we are not talking about the travel insurance/holiday maker falling off his moped on Samui here. That is a different topic.

my doctor here on Samui and works in the government hospital, told me that his hospital was quite well off because many farang with travel insurance go there.

12 hours ago, Millcx said:

Fair point ... TBH every person (Visitor or Expat) no matter what age they are should have compulsory travel or health insurance ... End of

Posts like this should'nt even appear as they have no idea what its like being of an age where insurance companies do not want to know you, and if they do, they want a small fortune.  End of !

12 hours ago, ujayujay said:

I am a longstay Expat in Thailand and not agree to be punished with this mandatory BS, because Tourists without Travelinsurance drain the Healtysystem in LOS.  

I am a longstay Expat in Thailand and not agree to be punished with this mandatory BS, because Tourists without Travelinsurance drain the Healtysystem in LOS.  

These are the ones who should be targeted. When they arrive without travel insurance, offer them one, if they cannot or will not pay , its back on the next flight, because these are the very ones seen playing games on their hired m/c with no licence , crash helmet or insurance.

I support mandatory insurance - EVERYONE in Thailand should pay into one of the government health schemes (as long as they have the money to do so). As i understand about 400 baht a month?

Going private should be a choice ...... bad enough paying a government, but worse when you HAVE to pay insurance to a private company .... same as Mafia.

Archived