Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

webfact

12 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Well, one guy even commented that he never leaves Australia without insurance. So clearly he was voting on an issue that does not concern him because he is not long stay here. Was probably under 50 also (guessing). So nice of him to vote on behalf of those truly impacted by this.

Yes too many 'busy bodies' put their nose into this poll when they had no idea what they were on about. It went well for the government who used it to make their decision. No one specifically asked the over 50 community to get the real picture.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Thai authorities had any brains, they would first investigate just how much money is brought to the Thai economy by Ex-Pats who have retired here. Then they would appoint someone with brains to come up with a reasonable government insurance scheme which we all could afford with different levels if necessary. Form a company and go ahead with compulsory membership for anyone wishing to join and live here.

52 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Then they would appoint someone with brains to come up with a reasonable....

LMAO   That's a good one!  It's funny to see someone use the unlikely words "brains" and "reasonable" when talking about Thai gov't officials. 

In principle I don't have a problem with mandatory healthcare for long-term 50's or over--so long as the healthcare plans make sense. This 40,000/400,000 is pure 3rd-world idiocy. The 40,000 outpatient is completely unnecessary for the vast majority of expats--and it only serves to dramatically increase overall premiums--while the 400,000 is grotesquely inadequate, as many others with 1/10 of a brain have mentioned. What bureaucratic bumpkins in Thai officialdom really imagine this makes any sense? Without the asinine 40,000 outpatient requirement, many of us would already be covered, with far more adequate plans. 

4 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

If Thai authorities had any brains, they would first investigate just how much money is brought to the Thai economy by Ex-Pats who have retired here. Then they would appoint someone with brains to come up with a reasonable government insurance scheme which we all could afford with different levels if necessary. Form a company and go ahead with compulsory membership for anyone wishing to join and live here.

Not in their MO, fella. There is no reasoning beyond making coin and getting (some of) you chaps out. Hard to swallow, but them's the beans.

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Not in their MO, fella. There is no reasoning beyond making coin and getting (some of) you chaps out. Hard to swallow, but them's the beans.

That's really what it's all about.

There's another thread running that says that the order only applies to those who apply for an enter on O_A visas and extentions of same.  That would make no sense at all, but TIT and I hope that it's true.  Guess that we'lll just have to wait and see until it is clarified by Big Joke's replacement.

On 5/14/2019 at 4:53 PM, SoilSpoil said:

I don't. I like to have choices on life, and would never sign up for an 40k outpatient insurance. Ridiculous.

I dont need health insurance for a visa i can prove a large amount of money in the bank. And if they start charging more tax on savings that i pay tax on already i will buy kilos of gold

How about this scenario, guys...

Wife watching elderly husband's long-promised nest egg getting gobbled up by sky-high medical insurance premiums, realizes at the rate this is going she'll be a penniless widow in just a few years. Hmmm....what's a girl to do??? Pillow over the head time, baybeeee!

Unless the husband is applying for OA or OX visas in his home country, he isn't required to get insurance. Mind you, without it, the nest-egg may well get used up on medical expenses.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:20 AM, Boon Mee said:

And how those old geezers >70 years or better? 

Can't get insurance when you already have one foot in the grave. 

and this is the crux of it..If you come here in your 50s to start a new life ,own property.have a Thai family..forget it..There is NO long term future for you here..The cost (if you can find a policy)at 70+ is prohibitive for all those but the wealthy.I feel for the Thai families who already have an expat sponsor,Who is going to look after them?,Ex pats ( I among them) will be leaving in droves.

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Fake news. long stay visa is o-x

The O-A visa is a "long stay visa"  and has always been called that and is good for multiple entries for 1 year.

The new O-X visa is also a " long stay visa" but is good for 10 years, actually two five year visas.

The thing that needs to be clarified is if the order applies to extensions to visas for the purpose of retirement.  I've been here for 22 years and haven't left the country since 2003 so I would consider my time here as "long sta"y.

6 minutes ago, wayned said:

The thing that needs to be clarified is if the order applies to extensions to visas for the purpose of retirement. 

I can clarify it right now, you dont get an extension of a visa. You get an extension of your stay. Visa ends, extension of stay starts.

A visa gets you into the country and generates a "permission to stay" later you get an "extension of stay"

Immigration has 2 stamps, a permission to stay stamp and an extension to stay stamp. they dont issue renew or extend visa's.

(exception being a temp O visa as part of switching to a year extension of stay)

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I can clarify it right now, you dont get an extension of a visa. You get an extension of your stay. Visa ends, extension of stay starts.

A visa gets you into the country and generates a "permission to stay" later you get an "extension of stay"

Immigration has 2 stamps, a permission to stay stamp and an extension to stay stamp. they dont issue renew or extend visa's.

(exception being a temp O visa as part of switching to a year extension of stay)

Yeah, Yeah, I get it.  But you clarified absolutely nothing but the obvious. 

The thing that needs to be clarified is whether the insurance requirement applies to 1 year extension of stays for retirement and marriage purposes!

24 minutes ago, wayned said:

Yeah, Yeah, I get it.  But you clarified absolutely nothing but the obvious. 

The thing that needs to be clarified is whether the insurance requirement applies to 1 year extension of stays for retirement and marriage purposes!

Yes, thats what we are waiting for. I think there will be another MoH announcement saying one of two things, either oops we didnt realise OA doesn't get renewed "or" oops by saying renewal we mean extension.

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, thats what we are waiting for. I think there will be another MoH announcement saying one of two things, either oops we didnt realise OA doesn't get renewed "or" oops by saying renewal we mean extension.

My extension of stay has absolutely nothing to do with applyiung for a 1 year extension on an O-A visa  My initial extension was granted with a Non "O" visa, so as long as "long stay visa" remains in the order it just confuses things.

This is nonsense.  I have yet to meet a single ex-pat who favors this law.

I suspect that the poll was rigged.

Anyway Panama has no such restrictions.  Nor Columbia, Nor Ecuador, Nor Costa Rica.

9 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

This is nonsense.  I have yet to meet a single ex-pat who favors this law.

I suspect that the poll was rigged.

Anyway Panama has no such restrictions.  Nor Columbia, Nor Ecuador, Nor Costa Rica.

Each nation has their own specific visa related peculiarities. For example both Colombia and Ecuador offer buy ins to their national health programs that cover all regardless of age and preexisting conditions.

For people wanting to get into those details on Latin American nations, I suggest joining this thread --

On 5/15/2019 at 6:44 AM, webfact said:

Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

Whose poll?

Ah, the poll by Thai Visa, the company who also have various insurance company businesses inc health.

Mmm, thanx ever so much for your impartiality.

I agree that it makes sense.  But in truth 400k maximum coverage isn't really enough.  It's made me realize that in the future I really can't afford to live in Thailand, and that has some truly troublesome implications since I have a family. I'm trying to hang in for as long as I can, at least until my daughter can understand. 

Archived