Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

webfact

13 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Sadly, you shouldn't be here.  It's tough I know but these are hard times, and they are going to get tougher for the average guy imo.

Yeah maybe but you're making an assumption that things would be always be much better if such people repatriate. 

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...it would appear the new requirements only apply to those seeking an Non-Immigrant Visa OA

Probably not for long as we'll see 'creep' to other sections as well to a greater or lesser degree. Just another slow turn of the screw.

What a load of crap, "Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s" You need to get trained staff and I do not mean Monkeys.

Fake news and inflamatory.

Publish some of the comments from Expats in your News and see how that goes down, a;;se wipes.

If that's the road they are going down then is should be for all and not just over fifty. The past few years has seen an increase of ''go fund me'' posts. These are all under fifty and mostly as a result of accidents with no insurance. Stop picking on the oldies.

31 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah maybe but you're making an assumption that things would be always be much better if such people repatriate. 

Well, I think most expats on the forum are from more developed countries like the USA, UK, and so on.  Generally, just because you are a citizen, you have access to basic services for free.  I agree things aren't so rosy these days anywhere.  But in the UK, for instance, an OAP would have completely free healthcare, and access to social care.

12 hours ago, chainarong said:

Yeah what happens if you're 75 or even 80

you can still buy it but it's expensive. insurance companies that offer the insurance are listed in this link, longstay,tgia.org,.  Some of the companies offer insurance over 75, I think that Atena is one of them.

21 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Assuming they will accept coverage from a Non-Thai company.

Tha OP stated that they would accept overseas insurance.

26 minutes ago, wayned said:

Tha OP stated that they would accept overseas insurance.

Thanks, I missed that part.

Opens up a lot of more financially feasible options than those of the Thai companies listed.

15 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Thanks, I missed that part.

Opens up a lot of more financially feasible options than those of the Thai companies listed.

I wouldn't get your tit's in an uproar until it is clearly defined exactly whether or not it applies to only "long stay visas" ( O-A, 1 year, or O-X, 10 year)and extensions thereof, or if it will actually apply to1 year extensions of stay for marriage and retirement issued on Non-"O" visas.

2 minutes ago, wayned said:

I wouldn't get your tit's in an uproar until it is clearly defined exactly whether or not it applies to only "long stay visas" ( O-A, 1 year, or O-X, 10 year)and extensions thereof, or if it will actually apply to1 year extensions of stay for marriage and retirement issued on Non-"O" visas.

My tit's are just fine thanks as this insurance thing does not affect me, but thanks for your concerns.

40 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

My tit's are just fine thanks as this insurance thing does not affect me, but thanks for your concerns.

No harm intended.  I was just trying to make a joke out of what seems to be a real mess that nobody understands as it is not clearly defined.

So! - 38 million retired expats living in Thailand think this is a great idea?

That 38 million figure is the guvmint's - not bad for a country that has a total population of 69.5 million!

Immigration shows the 2017 number was 73,000 - that means 37,927,000 more retirees settled here in the last 18 months - Thats 2.1 million A MONTH or 69 thousand per day!

ANND the "38 million" coughing up 440,000 baht/year is going to put OVER 16 THOUSAND BILLION baht into Thai banks?  That is on top of the average 1 million baht/year they bring in as income - 38 THOUSAND BILLION ! - All according to  the Minister and his health department.

Show me a hospital that let's you out the door without paying.
Show me a retired ex-pat with a bad hospital debt.

ANNND - now the really hard one: - show me some honest figures Mr Minister - - - - - - - - -

On 5/15/2019 at 6:53 AM, SoilSpoil said:

I don't. I like to have choices on life, and would never sign up for an 40k outpatient insurance. Ridiculous.

I only come on holiday to Pattaya but I've met a fair few ex pats over the years and none of them support this. They all pay their way and always have. They have to!

Some of 'em are rather concerned about their future in Thailand because of measures like this and the 800,000 bank balance racket.

I remember rumours of a scheme being proposed a number of years ago in which all foreign visitors to the LOS would be required to pay a weekly or monthly premium into a health insurance policy in case of poor health or injury.

It was something like 500 B a week for holiday makers, long termers and ex pats alike regardless of age, existing conditions and nationality. The vast majority of those that would never access it would fund those that did. It was a similar set up to the UK's NHS but without the freeloaders.

Don't pay, don't want to pay, don't enter the Kingdom.

At the time I thought it was a great idea, I still do.

On 5/15/2019 at 6:53 AM, SoilSpoil said:

I don't. I like to have choices on life, and would never sign up for an 40k outpatient insurance. Ridiculous.

I oppose this too.... having financial resources.... just in case..... being healthy and living a normal life doesn't constitute supporting Thai insurance companies...????????......I still don't understand do the older people don't pay their bills??

6 minutes ago, hashmodha said:

I oppose this too.... having financial resources.... just in case..... being healthy and living a normal life doesn't constitute supporting Thai insurance companies...????????......I still don't understand do the older people don't pay their bills??

I remember 5 years ago following a machinery accident I was sent to BKK for the repair operation. After I received the extortionate bill which I queried I was sent to the cash dept. And had 2 armed guards with me!!!

15 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Probably zero ????

The facebook entries are about as clear as the 26 pages posted here.  There is no finite definition from the Ministry of Health and Immigration that clearly identify exactly who requires the insurance.  The order identifies "long  Stay visas", O-A and O-X, obtained in your home country and renewals or extensions of same, but it says absolutely nothing about 1 year Non-O visas  and 1 year extensions of them  for retirement or marriage.  Non-O visas are non called "long stay visas".

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

I wonder how many expats over 50 who this concerns actually do facebook.

55 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Probably zero ????

... well then we probably should ... ´Taskforce Fcukbook´ :cheesy: ... you´d have to pay folks - and plenty - to monitor that dump, even more bs than on here, if u can believe that ...

Seriously, that's where massive backstabbing occured, a guerilla-poll that lets you know afterwards how ´overwhelmingly´ you support their insurance scam as well as the associated disgusting hawking of said scam ... 

Some of you are too daft to notice but most of these 'overwhelming votes' are from payback seeking under-50's who maybe read posts on Thaivisa how they're hated and see the joy in this

Maybe we should all support each other eh? Not wish bad on others? or maybe not..?

This entire situation is absurd. It doesn't solve the problem! Even if every long staying foreigner had coverage like that, it's basically garbage cover. The limits are very low. The coverage excludes all preexisting conditions. The requirement for a tiny amount of outpatient cover is clearly some kind of cash cow for the insurance companies, massive fees for a laughably small amount of cover when in Thailand it's generally not usual to buy ANY outpatient cover.

Sure if the government offered a real coverage plan that actually solved the problem it might be different, but this is NOT that.

1 hour ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Some of you are too daft to notice but most of these 'overwhelming votes' are from payback seeking under-50's who maybe read posts on Thaivisa how they're hated and see the joy in this

Maybe we should all support each other eh? Not wish bad on others? or maybe not..?

Oh no sir, i wasn't talking about younger folks re backstabbing, let them have their fun, they´re next in row anyway ...

I meant certain media and their more than questionable ways and agendas in midst of that colossal wind up!

42 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

Oh no sir, i wasn't talking about younger folks re backstabbing, let them have their fun, they´re next in row anyway ...

I meant certain media and their more than questionable ways and agendas in midst of that colossal wind up!

Wasn't in reply to you, more a general statement

On 5/15/2019 at 1:18 PM, Mavideol said:

a plausible explanation,  which one(s) in the government (an/or his/hers relatives) has $$$ interests (shares) in health insurance companies

But you needn't have your insurance policy from a Thai insurance company

12 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I only come on holiday to Pattaya but I've met a fair few ex pats over the years and none of them support this. They all pay their way and always have. They have to!

Some of 'em are rather concerned about their future in Thailand because of measures like this and the 800,000 bank balance racket.

Yes you can call it a twist and it is. Who want 800,000 locked in a bank in old age . You've saved the money to spend in your retirement to make life more comfortable. And it a very cheap loan.

12 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

I remember 5 years ago following a machinery accident I was sent to BKK for the repair operation. After I received the extortionate bill which I queried I was sent to the cash dept. And had 2 armed guards with me!!!

And people think medicare should cover them in Land of Scams. Could you imagine what the hospitals would charge if that spigot was ever opened. Won't and shouldn't ever happen.

Archived