Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

webfact

4 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

You pay insurance companies and your payment goes in part to a department that exists to deny your claim. You pay them to look for loopholes to deny your care. These stories pop up all the time. 

Insurance is a scam, forcing people to have insurance is outright rape. 

All you insurance fans, go look up some data on a situation like katrina. The shit hit the fan and the insurance companies decided not to pay what they owe to a large extent. What else is there to talk about? It is a giant scam, the scam of the century. It is the best thing that every happened if your an insurance executive however. 

Agree . One reason America needs FREE medicare for all ! Shut the damn insurance companies down!

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Would be nice to know there actually is/was a poll and where it is.
I found it (finally) by clicking on the "comments" icon under the "Yes/No" images, as the link in the OP goes to the TV topic but the poll is on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiVisaNews/posts/10158438383398012

Thanks for the useful link.

So does that mean that to vote you have is sign up to that idiotic Facebook ?

Try running that poll here on this forum and you will get a very different result.

21 minutes ago, coxo said:

Health insurance in the form of accident and emergency is ok, as far as outpatient that is just BS

I've been coming here on and off since 1994, and much more in the last couple of years, I doubt the total outpatient cost has reached 40000Baht yet in all that time.

I just wish they would come up with some Hybrid cover which was part bond and part insurance, with a card to get you access to initial treatment. Can't see the sense of having the outpatient cover as an insurance, but a problem could arise if you don't have enough in your pocket and can't get to the bank. 

I always remember a story, told to me in the 90s of someone's acquaintance that had a medical problem, who died whilst they argued if he had cover, and he had $5000 in his hotel safe! He may of died anyway, but a different end to the story never got a chance to be told.

As I've said already, how to transact this, there was a post on the other thread quoting you could use your insurance cert in support of application??? But if you don't already have permission to enter & stay for 12 months, you would not need the insurance. 

18 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Would be nice to know there actually is/was a poll and where it is.
I found it (finally) by clicking on the "comments" icon under the "Yes/No" images, as the link in the OP goes to the TV topic but the poll is on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiVisaNews/posts/10158438383398012

From reading the comments on the ''Poll" didn't seam overwhelmingly supportive

20 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Think not too many polled were in their 70's or 80's. Try getting insurance at that age.

they tried asking those in their platinum years..... but they kept getting  " what ?   what ? " to the

questions asked   ????  

21 minutes ago, ryane66 said:

I guess in your estimation l am an old greezer. I am 71. Slim and fit. Regular health checkups define me as excellent. I bike 30km EVERY day.

I outworked the younger Thai workers building my home. I really don't think l am close to having a foot in the grave. Pretty sure l could keep up to you.

I am 78 and much like you, fit as a Buck Rat, but cannot get insurance.

8 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Agree . One reason America needs FREE medicare for all ! Shut the damn insurance companies down!

Fat chance !   and when talking about america,  really fat chance

13 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

That is why we are so far behind when you look at the money spent vs effectiveness of care charts. 

We all know it is not our doctors! ????

When we go to the doctor we are paying insurance company overhead, insurance company profit margins (which are enormous mind you), and then for our actual care. 

Other countries just pay for their care. Of course their care is going to be more effective. 

Another giant scam perpetuated by the elite. It will probably stay in place for another 100 years even though the data is right there in everyone's face. 

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fourworldindata.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F05%2Flife-expectancy-vs-health-expenditure-over-time.png&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fourworldindata.org%2Fthe-link-between-life-expectancy-and-health-spending-us-focus&tbnid=Wdtj0kdJUGwsLM&vet=1&docid=FXV02GpQnaSXWM&w=1030&h=730&hl=en-us&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

27 minutes ago, ryane66 said:

I guess in your estimation l am an old greezer. I am 71. Slim and fit. Regular health checkups define me as excellent. I bike 30km EVERY day.

I outworked the younger Thai workers building my home. I really don't think l am close to having a foot in the grave. Pretty sure l could keep up to you.

Your a bit touchy bout that Slim

8 minutes ago, Denim said:

Thanks for the useful link.

So does that mean that to vote you have is sign up to that idiotic Facebook ?

Try running that poll here on this forum and you will get a very different result.

That would infer that FB users maybe don't have a firm grip on reality?

Oh, wait...

Of course people would support the idea of having health insurance. I support the idea of me having some insurance, I also support the idea of me loosing weight, giving up smoking and not eating potato chips.

What I think/know is a great idea is often not what I end up doing.

A scientific survey? Likely the respondents did not even understand the question and the one making the inquiry was equally lost.

just like the immigration officials that do not understand the rules but are embarrassed to admit it.

ever ask for directions in Thailand?

they all know what to tell you...where that place is but they are always wrong. 

haha! 

51 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Still as confused as ever. Are they talking about. Type O-A Retirements visas ? Type O Marriage visas ? Those that need no bank accounts that apply for Type O visas in Savannakhet Laos ? And why not mandatory to ALL visas? What about the millions of Full Moon Party idiots who in up in the hospitals and make a dash to the airports without paying?

Still not exactly clear, but looks like they could be talking about Non O-A visas issued outside Thailand that give a 1 year entry stamp on arrival? I guess the logic is that they are not applying for an extension in Thailand so do not have to hold the 800k in a Thai bank, isn't that 800K supposed to be for such medical emergencies?

But If its only for over 50's why do the policy rates quoted on the website show premiums for all ages including under 50's

"mandatory health insurance of over 50s"

while the short term tourists don't? They are the ones renting motorbikes looking for adventures.." Guess what i did in Thailand.."

yeah we old men need insurance in case we fall off the bar stool.

seriously?  where and when was the poll ?

old farts, this will impact you more than you think

especially the 40k outpatient rule

either you had brains and some kind of insurance (I had via wife's work) 

but now forcing it ...

I believe insurance is a SCAM ... I have money if I go to hospital

if really sick, I will go die at home

I don't want to be forced for something I will not use, as I will pay as I go

as you can see, it is EVERYBODY over 50, not the O-A only

15 minutes ago, alphason said:

Still not exactly clear, but looks like they could be talking about Non O-A visas issued outside Thailand that give a 1 year entry stamp on arrival? I guess the logic is that they are not applying for an extension in Thailand so do not have to hold the 800k in a Thai bank, isn't that 800K supposed to be for such medical emergencies?

But If its only for over 50's why do the policy rates quoted on the website show premiums for all ages including under 50's

They had better get their rules and regs uniform . Was that dude drunk when he came up with this brainstorm ?

I generally agree but compulsory outpatient is ridiculous and is nothing more than a moneyspinner for the insurers and the overall limit is too low, though of course that's up to the individual.

I'd rather they demanded a minimum 1m limit but no OPD.

A poll with insurance company bias written all over it?

Has to take the prize for the weakest fake news try of the year!.  This is absolute rubbish!

"Joe Blow said - - - - - - "  How many times do we read these sort of garbage statements in advertising - - -

The first Thai visa news item is now up to 77 pages and there is a very large majority hating this guvmint rule - - - - -

As a long-term Canadian Expat living in Phuket for the past 20+ yrs and turning 61yrs next month (How the Hell did that happen...???) I highly support health insurance for all those living in T’land, including all Long Term Expats, Tourists and ......... Thai Nationals. Financial planning 101. Health Care is the 1st item on my Annual Budget. If you don’t like Thai insurance providers, there are many Health Care providers overseas including BUPA Global, CIGNA, Regency for Expats, etc..... that will provide you coverage.

Reading the Ministry article in English courtesy of Google Translate, I note the outpatient requirement is clearly stated as "...not less than 4 thousand baht..." not 40,000 baht as is being widely reported.  And still a lot to work out regarding implementation.  AAAND just had the wife read the original Thai article, and Google translate got it wrong!  40,000 baht outpatient it apparently is ????

1 hour ago, rumak said:

i took a poll and the people overwhelmingly stated that they do not want to be forced to give money

to insurance companies.   Self insure,  thank you.

... yep, pushing the insurance scam ... interesting agenda don't ya think ...?!

Then we just learned from esteemed colleague <marcusarelus> who is good friends with mr. google too that the total of faulted medbills (not only by tourists) amounts to 9mio USD out of a total health expenditure of 35bn (2020 est.) ... non-starter right there.

Tourist revenue 2018: 62bn USD (google) ... next non-starter.

In other words: cost of business, and minimal ones at that!

So if you have to insurance are they going to lower the amount of money you have to keeper locked away by them each year? 

I would rather Cut off my own leg than let any of the hospitals treat me. So far I have been misdiagnosed three times. And guess what every time they recommended money making tests I did not not need. Another load of b*llox from the propaganda forum

Archived