BANGKOK 20 June 2019 06:12
webfact

Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Yeah what happens if you're 75 or even 80

Sadly, you shouldn't be here.  It's tough I know but these are hard times, and they are going to get tougher for the average guy imo.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Sadly, you shouldn't be here.  It's tough I know but these are hard times, and they are going to get tougher for the average guy imo.

Yeah maybe but you're making an assumption that things would be always be much better if such people repatriate. 

• Like 1

...it would appear the new requirements only apply to those seeking an Non-Immigrant Visa OA

Probably not for long as we'll see 'creep' to other sections as well to a greater or lesser degree. Just another slow turn of the screw.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah maybe but you're making an assumption that things would be always be much better if such people repatriate. 

Well, I think most expats on the forum are from more developed countries like the USA, UK, and so on.  Generally, just because you are a citizen, you have access to basic services for free.  I agree things aren't so rosy these days anywhere.  But in the UK, for instance, an OAP would have completely free healthcare, and access to social care.

12 hours ago, chainarong said:

Yeah what happens if you're 75 or even 80

you can still buy it but it's expensive. insurance companies that offer the insurance are listed in this link, longstay,tgia.org,.  Some of the companies offer insurance over 75, I think that Atena is one of them.

21 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Assuming they will accept coverage from a Non-Thai company.

Tha OP stated that they would accept overseas insurance.

26 minutes ago, wayned said:

Tha OP stated that they would accept overseas insurance.

Thanks, I missed that part.

Opens up a lot of more financially feasible options than those of the Thai companies listed.

15 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Thanks, I missed that part.

Opens up a lot of more financially feasible options than those of the Thai companies listed.

I wouldn't get your tit's in an uproar until it is clearly defined exactly whether or not it applies to only "long stay visas" ( O-A, 1 year, or O-X, 10 year)and extensions thereof, or if it will actually apply to1 year extensions of stay for marriage and retirement issued on Non-"O" visas.

2 minutes ago, wayned said:

I wouldn't get your tit's in an uproar until it is clearly defined exactly whether or not it applies to only "long stay visas" ( O-A, 1 year, or O-X, 10 year)and extensions thereof, or if it will actually apply to1 year extensions of stay for marriage and retirement issued on Non-"O" visas.

My tit's are just fine thanks as this insurance thing does not affect me, but thanks for your concerns.

40 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

My tit's are just fine thanks as this insurance thing does not affect me, but thanks for your concerns.

No harm intended.  I was just trying to make a joke out of what seems to be a real mess that nobody understands as it is not clearly defined.

• Like 1

So! - 38 million retired expats living in Thailand think this is a great idea?

That 38 million figure is the guvmint's - not bad for a country that has a total population of 69.5 million!

Immigration shows the 2017 number was 73,000 - that means 37,927,000 more retirees settled here in the last 18 months - Thats 2.1 million A MONTH or 69 thousand per day!

ANND the "38 million" coughing up 440,000 baht/year is going to put OVER 16 THOUSAND BILLION baht into Thai banks?  That is on top of the average 1 million baht/year they bring in as income - 38 THOUSAND BILLION ! - All according to  the Minister and his health department.

Show me a hospital that let's you out the door without paying.
Show me a retired ex-pat with a bad hospital debt.

ANNND - now the really hard one: - show me some honest figures Mr Minister - - - - - - - - -

• Like 1
  • Haha 1