BANGKOK 18 July 2019 23:16
webfact

Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

On 5/15/2019 at 6:53 AM, SoilSpoil said:

I don't. I like to have choices on life, and would never sign up for an 40k outpatient insurance. Ridiculous.

I only come on holiday to Pattaya but I've met a fair few ex pats over the years and none of them support this. They all pay their way and always have. They have to!

Some of 'em are rather concerned about their future in Thailand because of measures like this and the 800,000 bank balance racket.

• Like 2

I remember rumours of a scheme being proposed a number of years ago in which all foreign visitors to the LOS would be required to pay a weekly or monthly premium into a health insurance policy in case of poor health or injury.

It was something like 500 B a week for holiday makers, long termers and ex pats alike regardless of age, existing conditions and nationality. The vast majority of those that would never access it would fund those that did. It was a similar set up to the UK's NHS but without the freeloaders.

Don't pay, don't want to pay, don't enter the Kingdom.

At the time I thought it was a great idea, I still do.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 6:53 AM, SoilSpoil said:

I don't. I like to have choices on life, and would never sign up for an 40k outpatient insurance. Ridiculous.

I oppose this too.... having financial resources.... just in case..... being healthy and living a normal life doesn't constitute supporting Thai insurance companies...🤔🤔......I still don't understand do the older people don't pay their bills??

Edited by hashmodha
Additional details
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hashmodha said:

I oppose this too.... having financial resources.... just in case..... being healthy and living a normal life doesn't constitute supporting Thai insurance companies...🤔🤔......I still don't understand do the older people don't pay their bills??

I remember 5 years ago following a machinery accident I was sent to BKK for the repair operation. After I received the extortionate bill which I queried I was sent to the cash dept. And had 2 armed guards with me!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how many expats over 50 who this concerns actually do facebook.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I wonder how many expats over 50 who this concerns actually do facebook.

Probably zero 😞

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Probably zero 😞

The facebook entries are about as clear as the 26 pages posted here.  There is no finite definition from the Ministry of Health and Immigration that clearly identify exactly who requires the insurance.  The order identifies "long  Stay visas", O-A and O-X, obtained in your home country and renewals or extensions of same, but it says absolutely nothing about 1 year Non-O visas  and 1 year extensions of them  for retirement or marriage.  Non-O visas are non called "long stay visas".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of you are too daft to notice but most of these 'overwhelming votes' are from payback seeking under-50's who maybe read posts on Thaivisa how they're hated and see the joy in this

Maybe we should all support each other eh? Not wish bad on others? or maybe not..?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Some of you are too daft to notice but most of these 'overwhelming votes' are from payback seeking under-50's who maybe read posts on Thaivisa how they're hated and see the joy in this

Maybe we should all support each other eh? Not wish bad on others? or maybe not..?

Oh no sir, i wasn't talking about younger folks re backstabbing, let them have their fun, they´re next in row anyway ...

I meant certain media and their more than questionable ways and agendas in midst of that colossal wind up!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

Oh no sir, i wasn't talking about younger folks re backstabbing, let them have their fun, they´re next in row anyway ...

I meant certain media and their more than questionable ways and agendas in midst of that colossal wind up!

Wasn't in reply to you, more a general statement

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 1:18 PM, Mavideol said:

a plausible explanation,  which one(s) in the government (an/or his/hers relatives) has $$$ interests (shares) in health insurance companies

But you needn't have your insurance policy from a Thai insurance company

Edited by Percy P
Addition

12 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I only come on holiday to Pattaya but I've met a fair few ex pats over the years and none of them support this. They all pay their way and always have. They have to!

Some of 'em are rather concerned about their future in Thailand because of measures like this and the 800,000 bank balance racket.

Yes you can call it a twist and it is. Who want 800,000 locked in a bank in old age . You've saved the money to spend in your retirement to make life more comfortable. And it a very cheap loan.

• Like 1

Oh,for goodness sake...

..and now for the 6 o'clock news from Alpha Centauri..